Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Daily drive your 997.2tt ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1107725-daily-drive-your-997-2tt.html)

General Jack 10-26-2018 12:25 AM

Daily drive your 997.2tt ?

If so I'd love to get some feedback from you.

I'm considering doing so with mine... its an '11 with 39k miles, pdk. I've owned it for nearly 4 years trouble free and I've been faithful with the maintenance. I wrecked my current DD recently, an e46 M3, its not totaled but I think its time to move on. Not sure I want to pull cash out of the market or take on another car payment right now and I can't really replace the M3 for what I could sell it for plus the insurance check (total ~$13k).

So one of my options is just daily driving the Turbo for a while, maybe the next 6 months? I live in Austin, TX so the winter weather isn't crazy and they don't salt the roads. My annual mileage is close to 15k, but my car is in higher mileage status now anyway. Seeing it get dirty inside and out will bother me... but that's a problem that can easily be remedied.

4ocious 10-26-2018 09:20 AM

I would DD my TTS if I could but the VA winters can be brutal (salt, snow, ice, hail and etc.). I too was concerned about miles until I reached 40K this summer. I'm not worried about it now and just enjoy the car on the few recent non-weather days that I can use it. IMO there is too much discussion about low vs. high miles. Although a factor it's not a deciding factor for me especially if it's the right car with a good user and maintenance history. My 2011 Cayenne TT DD has 71K miles now and it's in perfect reliable condition. I don't think adding commute miles will hurt your car or it's value. JMO.

function12 10-26-2018 10:48 AM

I used my 07 997.1 as a daily driver for a few years here in Houston. Oil changes and tires were the only issues. Now it it is a garage queen for nice days.

dave292 10-26-2018 11:26 AM

Used my 08 as a daily driver for 48000 miles. Loved every day. Had no issues.

tguaturbo 10-26-2018 07:17 PM

I DD'd a 12 Turbo S for 7-8k miles one year and loved every moment. Super docile and the auto tranny made it easy in stop n go traffic. I'd say do it

usrodeo4 10-26-2018 07:19 PM

I use the old stock market portfolio rule: If you can sleep at night you are making the right decisions. So if you can DD her and still sleep at nite I say drive her...as we all know they are blasts to drive. Having said that, I live in Cocoa Beach and am a retired Engineer and my 997.1 only has 23K miles so my DDing means putting up and down A1A for a couple miles to the gym and my fave watering holes on perfectly smooth flat roads, then back into the garage for the P car to R&R. About once a week I can't resist and I drive across the bridges to let her stretch her legs.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...42cd82dce5.jpg

General Jack 10-27-2018 10:30 AM

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going to do it. I see it all going well until there's a threat of a spring hailstorm lol.

Twinturbom3 10-27-2018 06:20 PM

There is no 1 single answer to your question.

Coming from E46 M3, you will love 997 TT in many ways, but 997 TT will most probably make you think that it has a harsh / hard ride (compared to E46 M3)

Age of driver, driver's back ground, driver's motivation to drive a sports car, roads surfaces, season of year, weather, condition of 997 TT, driven daily distance ALL THESE FACTORS should be considered.

So, there is no 1 single answer. Buy a well maintained 997 TT and see how it does for you.

General Jack 10-27-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 (Post 15391293)
There is no 1 single answer to your question.

Coming from E46 M3, you will love 997 TT in many ways, but 997 TT will most probably make you think that it has a harsh / hard ride (compared to E46 M3)

Age of driver, driver's back ground, driver's motivation to drive a sports car, roads surfaces, season of year, weather, condition of 997 TT, driven daily distance ALL THESE FACTORS should be considered.

So, there is no 1 single answer. Buy a well maintained 997 TT and see how it does for you.

I’ve owned my turbo for nearly four years, it’s been a great car and trouble free. This was my second e46 M3, I bought it in a fit of nostalgia close to 2 years ago after missing my original from a decade ago. Both M3s were fantastic. A little more comfortable than the 997.2tt as you suggest. Considering an e92 M3 down the road as a DD but don’t want to buy it in the short term for various reasons.

IXXI TT 10-27-2018 07:49 PM

Own an e46 M3 (~10 years) and 997.2 TT that I just bought this year. Been DD the TT all summer, bought with 56k now with 63k.

The M3 will now become my winter beater until its time is up, then will DD the TT. Live up in the NE, cars are meant to be driven :)

chris haunold 10-27-2018 11:45 PM

Turbo DD

I have a 2011 997.2 Turbo I daily drive year round in Idaho in every condition...hot 108deg.+...rain...snow...ice.... and all on bumpy... lumpy poorly maintained roads. With winter tires it is a blast to drive in the snow and I drive it skiing 3-5 days a week. It has been super reliable. Drive your car!

Originally Posted by General Jack (Post 15387384)
If so I'd love to get some feedback from you.

I'm considering doing so with mine... its an '11 with 39k miles, pdk. I've owned it for nearly 4 years trouble free and I've been faithful with the maintenance. I wrecked my current DD recently, an e46 M3, its not totaled but I think its time to move on. Not sure I want to pull cash out of the market or take on another car payment right now and I can't really replace the M3 for what I could sell it for plus the insurance check (total ~$13k).

So one of my options is just daily driving the Turbo for a while, maybe the next 6 months? I live in Austin, TX so the winter weather isn't crazy and they don't salt the roads. My annual mileage is close to 15k, but my car is in higher mileage status now anyway. Seeing it get dirty inside and out will bother me... but that's a problem that can easily be remedied.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...957c15108a.jpg
The funnest part of going skiing/snowboarding is the drive up!

thxbuff2001 10-28-2018 05:16 PM

I think a PDK turbo is a perfect DD especially if you have long Hwys to do with no traffic.

I dont care about dirt outside. I always tell my wife, as long as its not a scratch or dent, its just a wash away to be perfect.

General Jack 10-30-2018 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chris haunold (Post 15391818)
I have a 2011 997.2 Turbo I daily drive year round in Idaho in every condition...hot 108deg.+...rain...snow...ice.... and all on bumpy... lumpy poorly maintained roads. With winter tires it is a blast to drive in the snow and I drive it skiing 3-5 days a week. It has been super reliable. Drive your car!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...957c15108a.jpg
The funnest part of going skiing/snowboarding is the drive up!

That's awesome.

If you can do that, I can certain DD mine. My previous DD is now listed for sale. Funny enough, my "garage queen" is now a black Trans Am WS6 lol. Much less valuable than the turbo but a much less usable old school throwback.

uberm3 10-30-2018 06:24 PM

I did for two years - loved it. Keeping it clean was the only issue. Made the drive too and from work worth it and added some fun back into challenging days. As long as you can enjoy every minute behind the wheel I say, why not? Mine is a .1 manual

br911 10-30-2018 09:58 PM

Not anymore, but I DD'd a 997.2 TT for 40 K miles in So Cal. Perfect, but in the end, driving that car on a daily basis made it feel less special given that I used it daily. So I sold it. I got bored. Car was perfect. Also, I was a bit tired of some people trying to race me (Honda Civic's and Infinity's are terrible here) when all I wanted was get to work or go back home. But it was fun in the beginning.