Sponsored by:

Questions for High Horse Power Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:59 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Questions for High Horse Power Owners

I am having some pretty extensive upgrades done as we speak (ByDesign Intercoolers, ByDesign Tial 68mm Turbos, AP Turbo inlet ducts, IPD Y pipe, IPD 82mm Plenum, GT3 82MM TB, Trident Marine clamps, ID Bosch 1334cc Injectors, Fabspeed carbon fiber competition air intake, Kline SS Headers, Kline catless Inconel exhaust, Cobb Autosport tuner, Tune by Sam at ByDesign, 993RS motor mounts, Sachs Race Engineering Clutch, new coils. The plastic heat exchanger pipes are being replaced with metal and water coolant pipe fixes will be applied also. Car also has new HRE wheels/rubber and H&R springs). From speaking with Sam we are trying to keep a nice safety margin so the e85 tune will be about 700WHP. So I am looking for input from any members who have similar H.P. and what your experiences are. My car will technically be driven at least 4 or 5 days a week but isn't really a daily driver as I typically only drive it a couple miles up and down A1A (35 MPH) to the gym/grocery store or some other leisure local activity. I do occasionally venture off the beach to let her stretch her legs on the mainland. I will most certainly take her to Orlando from time to time and will run her at the Bithlo Speed World drag strip to see what I kind of damage I can do there and at some point I am sure I will track her in some of the PCA events at Daytona, Sebring or Palm Beach. My expectations are she will drive like OEM (obviously with some more glorious sound) and when not on the go pedal the engine temperatures should be rather reduced so that will be better than OEM. On the throttle I am expecting to be able to do occasional full throttle (4.5Kish launch?) drag strip/stop light launches without harming the engine, tranny or drivetrain and to be able to do the occasional track time too without harming anything. So I'd like to hear from anyone with input. I guess in summary I am asking is the Metzger GT1 derived engine internals and the manual tranny and drivetrain pretty bulletproof for 22-24psi boost and approx. 760 BHP?

Old 10-20-2018, 07:21 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ I'm sure the tuners could answer that, I think Kevin (UMW) has weighed in on this topic with you before..
Not many high HP 997tt builds here on RL that post often. (high HP is relative, I'm at 535whp and dont consider that "high HP".

>750bhp is a lot. Can it do it? Sure. When you turn up the performance, don't expect to just do the same maintenance you do for a stock car. Heck, even at my boost/power levels, I change my plugs out every 15K miles.

I do most/all my own maintenance, so I can keep costs down, but if you are relying on a shop to do everything, then you should have a deep pockets. Once you get to those boost/power levels, you might occasionally blow off a hose on a diverter vale, or maybe the FPR. No big deal, but having a shop troubleshoot/fix these every time would get old for me.

Anyway, having said that, you might check out 6sppedonline. have you been there? Lots more folks with "true" high HP builds over there.

RL is a different group, lots on here seem more concerned with the value of their car vs its performance numbers.

BTW, it's "Mezger". No "t'"..
Old 10-20-2018, 09:49 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

stock rods and head studs are the weak point. 4.5 k rpm launches and the clutch wont last. if you build a modded car expect tp have tp maintain with more $$$ than a stock one and dont be surpised when it breaks. and just so your aware 700 bhp isnt considered a high hp car but rather a mildly modded one
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 PM
chris9304
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i am in Orlando and have a very similar build. Sam is fantastic when it comes to tuning. We just added a newborn to our home so i haven’t had a ton of Time to tinker lately, but Sam is always there to help with data and tuning. I do most of my own work and use drivers choice in Longwood for things that now I don’t have the time to do. These cars are fun at the 700 whp number and reliable there as well. I have not run my car since I put the turbos and clutch in it. I was trying to break in the clutch a little before I run it at spin world, but it’s not that sticky there so i plan to launch at 4500 as i did before turbos. Only thing that is a little bit of a pain is getting e85 in Maitland. I have a 55 gallon drum of it now.

Great To virtually say hi and hope to see more of the car soon
Old 10-22-2018, 12:15 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I have similar mods as what you are doing. Sam also tunes it. If I leave the sport mode off the car is very similar to stock driving around town. It is easy to drive. In sport mode the throttle application is a lot more aggressive. So it wants to go-go-go! It is this way stock and you hear of guys commenting that the sport mode throttle is a little tricky to modulate with the clutch release. But it does give it is nice that a simple button can give it an on-demand Jekyll & Hyde type personality.

I have not had my combo together for that long. But I have no doubt in my mind that it will go through plugs and coils quicker than stock. That is really the only thing that concerns me. As that is not an easy task. Then there is part breakage. That is a concern as well. No one wants to lose a rod or break a trans axle. But it comes with the territory. Luckily these cars are pretty stout. And with your limited aggressive driving it will help with longevity.

Good luck with the project.

Oh, and that power on E85 is addictive. You have been warned. haha
Old 10-22-2018, 04:14 PM
997.1TT
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently did some nice mods to include custom tune by the best in the business SAM BY DESIGN.

I agree about E-85 is additive...
Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chris9304
Hey i am in Orlando and have a very similar build. Sam is fantastic when it comes to tuning. We just added a newborn to our home so i haven’t had a ton of Time to tinker lately, but Sam is always there to help with data and tuning. I do most of my own work and use drivers choice in Longwood for things that now I don’t have the time to do. These cars are fun at the 700 whp number and reliable there as well. I have not run my car since I put the turbos and clutch in it. I was trying to break in the clutch a little before I run it at spin world, but it’s not that sticky there so i plan to launch at 4500 as i did before turbos. Only thing that is a little bit of a pain is getting e85 in Maitland. I have a 55 gallon drum of it now.

Great To virtually say hi and hope to see more of the car soon
Yeah nice to meet you too and good luck with the newborn and enjoy, they really do grow up fast...my youngest is a sophomore at FAU College of Engineering but I certainly remember those days. Spin World, that made me chuckle. Been out there a number of times as a spectator but have only run one vehicle there and that was a Long time ago...a pretty heavily modified '72 Kawasaki H2-750 back in my H.S. days in '75...but at the time I had two AMA Expert Class licenses in my back pocket (125 cc Motocross and 250cc Road Race) so was pretty hard to beat and ended up winning the motorcycle class, beat a Drag bike in the trophy run. But I'm not nearly as motorized to a 997 TT (just bought mine in August), especially 700 HP, so I will have my work cut out for me to run a good time, but it will be fun to see what I can do (Steve, advice to self: starting slower is a good thing, just ease into it and watch the tach and stay smooth). Regarding e85, I spoke with a Sunoco Rep a few days ago and he said the e85 you get in pump gas is probably no better than 69% ethanol at best and the petroleum mixture is bottom of the barrel 87 octane at best....a bit disappointing but that is what he said. He Was, however, trying to sell me on e85R at the time, which is guaranteed 85% ethanol and the other 15% is 96 octane gas. But its was $65/5 gallons. I have an e85 gas station in Melbourne which is a 20 min drive so not too bad. I have told Sam and John at AutoQuest in Ft. Myers, who is doing the build, that I want a very safe tune to go with the e85 tune. I think we have settled on three tunes, 1.) e85, 2.) 93, 3.) Similar to stock. Cannot be OEM due to the 1334cc injectors. Regarding your e85 barrel, where did you get it and what is the advertised chemical makeup? I will keep Driver's Choice in mind...I just moved here in July but have not yet found a highly recommended Porsche mechanic other than Melbourne Porsche, who seems really good but obviously really proud of their rates too Really nice to chat, I'm going to PM you to see if you would like to exchange contact info.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by saabin
^ I'm sure the tuners could answer that, I think Kevin (UMW) has weighed in on this topic with you before..
Not many high HP 997tt builds here on RL that post often. (high HP is relative, I'm at 535whp and dont consider that "high HP".

>750bhp is a lot. Can it do it? Sure. When you turn up the performance, don't expect to just do the same maintenance you do for a stock car. Heck, even at my boost/power levels, I change my plugs out every 15K miles.

I do most/all my own maintenance, so I can keep costs down, but if you are relying on a shop to do everything, then you should have a deep pockets. Once you get to those boost/power levels, you might occasionally blow off a hose on a diverter vale, or maybe the FPR. No big deal, but having a shop troubleshoot/fix these every time would get old for me.

Anyway, having said that, you might check out 6sppedonline. have you been there? Lots more folks with "true" high HP builds over there.

RL is a different group, lots on here seem more concerned with the value of their car vs its performance numbers.

BTW, it's "Mezger". No "t'"..
Thanks for your input I appreciate the feedback...as for Mezger visa vi Metzger, I seem to have a mental block on stuff like that, scored a perfect 800 on the math portion of my SAT back in H.S. in '74 but I think I was 45 before I finally came to grips with Restaurant not being spelled Restaraunt...haha.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:56 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

700whp is safe its your torque number you have to be watching. I believe around the 700wtq is where you can run into issue with breaking rods. If you can traction also is when you are going to be breaking things.

I have launch control as im running a syvecs stand alone. I was told by my tuner that I have about 50 launches until I break an axle haha. I will say that its hard to not do it at every light.

As others have said e85 is addictive. My car on pump gas is fun but on the corn juice its a whole different animal. Its a pain in the *** for me to get it where I live but I still deal with it cause its so much fun lol

Also without head studs I dont know the number where you start to lift the head but that is something I would watch out for
Old 10-26-2018, 09:35 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
700whp is safe its your torque number you have to be watching. I believe around the 700wtq is where you can run into issue with breaking rods. If you can traction also is when you are going to be breaking things.

I have launch control as im running a syvecs stand alone. I was told by my tuner that I have about 50 launches until I break an axle haha. I will say that its hard to not do it at every light.

As others have said e85 is addictive. My car on pump gas is fun but on the corn juice its a whole different animal. Its a pain in the *** for me to get it where I live but I still deal with it cause its so much fun lol

Also without head studs I dont know the number where you start to lift the head but that is something I would watch out for
Thanks for the input and I have already been told that with this build Sam will be "programming" in a reduction in torque to protect the engine at appropriate times. But there is no getting around it, if you use the HP/Torque available it will place the drive train metallurgy under duress....or put another way, as A.J. Foyt said, Every engine is good for a certain H.P. per hour.

Quick Reply: Questions for High Horse Power Owners