Sponsored by:

Stone Ship Guard and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Nicolas Nick
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone Ship Guard and PPF

I’m looking to protect my 2008TT with PPF. What is the best and where are the best area to protect on the car ?Go with the cheaper and change more? Good quality and keep it a long time ?
Better to protect or go for a compound each 2 years?
Thanks!!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:04 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Questions like this are good to be directed to local guys in your PCA region.. The PPF product is important, but the installer is even more important, in my opinion. I'd ask some your local PCA peeps who they use and look at the actual results.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Having recently purchased a car with "newly installed" PPF, I could not agree more with Saabin. When I really looked at the details of the install, primarily the edges of the film around tight areas, it was pretty obvious the installer gave up trying to do a good job. I ended up having it removed and having a quality install job done locally.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

I had my entire front-end, mirrors, A pillars, the roof area between the windshield and the sunroof, door edges, along with the rear fender bulges and Turbo inlets done with 3M Pro Series. I am having an aerokit front spoiler/lip installed as we speak and then will get that PPF'd also and at that time I plan to add some more to the area behind the rear fenders too. I love how the dirt/grime comes off the PPF so easy. 3M has a ten year warranty and if you pay an extra $100 bucks for their "insurance" they will fix any paint that gets damaged from any road debris. And as others have said you want a real Pro to put it on and all the Pros wrap the edges. Fyi...I paid $2,300 for my PPF job. As an aside...the gentleman who did my PPF recommends I get it ceramic coated along with the unPPF'd areas too.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 10-20-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Never go cheap with films. The install is everything. One thing you can economize on is going with a pre-cut “kit” they can order. It doesn’t cover quite as much, but also avoids the folds that inevitably happen when they go around edges. And no risk of them accidentally cutting into paint when they trim manually. I did the kit on my last bmw and it covered everything important. You just need to be careful when waxing not to let any reside accumulate along the edges of the film. You should also be able to go hybrid with the kit plus custom on any area it doesn’t cover.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:59 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Never go cheap with films. The install is everything. One thing you can economize on is going with a pre-cut “kit” they can order. It doesn’t cover quite as much, but also avoids the folds that inevitably happen when they go around edges. And no risk of them accidentally cutting into paint when they trim manually. I did the kit on my last bmw and it covered everything important. You just need to be careful when waxing not to let any reside accumulate along the edges of the film. You should also be able to go hybrid with the kit plus custom on any area it doesn’t cover.
That's why I recommend you always pay to have your PPF wrapped...it protects the edges on the hood where it is really needed and you don't have to always mess with wax getting into every edge...which is a total pain in the you know what.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:07 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine came with it and it was so well done, I almost did not notice it. Since I have never had one, I did some research on them. Seem three things are needed for a successful PPF install. 1. Quality PPF to begin with. Get a good, name brand like 3M or Suntech. 2. Prep work. When it goes on, what is under it is there for the duration. Everything must me cleaned and the prep work on getting the car ready is a big factor in the success. 3. A quality installer. Seems a lot of guys have done 1 and 2, then get a crappy installer who gives up on rough areas and cuts corners. These are expensive cars and paying a little more to get a quality installer is important. Mine was done really well, you would have no idea it was there except for the teeny tiniest fine line across the hood where the film ends, that is the only clue. Well, that's my .02. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:56 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Saabin's advise is true said - check your local P-Club crew. Next if you are in an area where there is a dealer (or two) that sells exotics, check with them. Guarantee they know the best installers and the best wrap.
Do not cheap out. The crappy stuff is thicker mil, yellows sooner and you will regret spending the money in the first place. Do it once, right. I have the entire front clip wrapped including the mirrors. Zero regrets.
Bear in mind OEM film is thicker mil. I'd not have the work done at your local dealership.

Quick Reply: Stone Ship Guard and PPF