Sponsored by:

997 Locking Mechanism, Porsche PIWIS Code and Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:25 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 997 Locking Mechanism, Porsche PIWIS Code and Key Programming

Somewhere in an old 997 Turbo Forum post we debriefed irregular ignition key fob replacement and locking mechanism malfunction. Specifically, Dealership PIWIS new/replacement key programming. A couple of the non-functional characteristics resulting from a Dealer key fob reprogram were;
- Double horn chirp signifying an open door, hood or engine bonnet, or gas cap lid
- Drivers and Passengers doors unlocked, but gas cap lid is locked
- Lock/Unlock function performs as intended when using the 'key" button on the dash console
Here's what we found. Porsche North America Dealer software contains code to program a replacement or new key fob. Unless you happen to have an experienced tech (ie: a tech that has traveled this road before) the pathway to loadingand pairing the right code onto the key and into the ECU mapping, is not intuitive. Pardon my likely marginal nomenclature - I'm not a software engineer:
- Connect PIWIS
- Select Region
- Select Deutschland (yes, Germany and NOT North America)
- Perform "Hand-Off" function to North America
- Access Diagnostics Program
- Access "Locking Mechanism Program"
- Program each selection, ie: Drivers door, Passengers door, Hood, Engine bonnet, Gas cap lid
- Pair key fob to ECU
- Save/Exit/Exit/Exit
Nothing is easy...the programming is apparently in German. Porsche has posted a new "Letter" for all dealers updating the somewhat tricky service.
Hope this helps...I'll post this on the 997 Forum as well.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:44 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing on these cars is as easy as it should be (or "cheap"), but when it came to a replacement key reprogram I was able to get it done for $30 at my local Indy. They have PIWIS and I supplied the new fob/key. Did not know you had to handoff to your region as well as program the key for each entry point -- how lame!

Quick Reply: 997 Locking Mechanism, Porsche PIWIS Code and Key Programming