Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Question for 997.1TT tuners

Purely out of interest, with COBB or other tuning solutions is it possible to:

A) Keep the standard mode as is
B) Bump the SPORT mode boost to whatever you as a professional consider reasonable or even leave the initial kick as is, but don’t let it taper towards the redline.

My thought process is, full OEM in standard mode. In SPORT mode get that initial kick but sustaining that pull/boost all the way to redline. This would be with .1 intercoolers so I don’t know how limiting that is.

Also with stock intercoolers and exhaust, boost aside and what I’m asking above, how responsive is this platform to spark/ignition advance. Could that sport mode be more savage with the help of ignition modulation if boost alone won’t get me what I’m looking for.

You can probably tell I’m a top end guy who doesn’t care about adding more bottom end to 997.1, but clearly i’m eager to have more up top in sport mode without any supporting mods.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Talk to Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks, he is active on the forums and does custom tunes remotely.

On my tune, both the regular and sport modes have been cranked up. In sport mode I peak at 1.4 bar with the stock parts. Transition throttle is smoother and the turbos spool much quicker. A free flowing exhaust helps too, again Kevin will recommend the ones that make the big power.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:39 PM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'd just do the GT2 /TT.2 coolers, they are factory parts and make a huge differences. Exhaust also needed to get the gain, I wouldn't go down the path of running more boost on the standard setup but that's just me.

Agree with Kramer, speak to Kevin
Old 10-06-2018, 10:33 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Thank you both for the response which I value, however, these do not get into the details of a matter that’s important to me... what the 997.1 top end is capable of without upgrades. Base target boost in Sport mode then timing and boost modulation so it never tapers off.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:09 AM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The answer is not much. To get value in top end you need intercoolers to flow the extra boost which can be had for $1400, exhaust helps with reduction of back pressure.

This is coming from owning modified 996 TT, 997 GT2 and 997.2TT - Kevin has done the TT's

Good luck with it, interested to see the results
Old 10-07-2018, 04:26 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Are you planning on running race gas all the time?
The 997.1TT platform in stock form is very sensitive to knock/knock retard on pump gas. This includes 93 octane. Put another way, in stock form on 93 octane the engine will pull 3 to 5 degrees of timing>>more if plugs are near 20K and over..
Engine load needs to be addressed to increase the output >>or as your put Kick..
BTW, BOOST will ALWAYS taper off since the compressor wheel can't sustain the boost pressure levels at tuned levels..
Email me and I will send you some stock datalogs that you can play with.... Sport mode engaged and Sport mode not engaged.
Edit>>I have to question what you feel is a strong topend.. 145>>that's the upper range of 4th gear..
Old 10-08-2018, 01:22 PM
997.1TT
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talk to Sam at BY-Design as he is the best and can help you with all of your questions and performance needs.

sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 10-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Thanks Kevin,

I’ll send you an email in a few days. Would be interesting to see some of these data logs. I would be running only 93 as this is a street only car and by strong top-end what I’m really seeking here is for that torque feel to never taper through the pull. It’s unfortunate these compressors can’t sustain upped boost all the way to 6K+.

A few more questions:
1) Can it sustain stock Sport boost all the way to redline? So take 1.2 bar and then force-tune for it to hold it all the way to fuel cut. Possible?
2) Whatsup with spark plugs needing such often replacement on this platform? Does it start pulling ignition due to misfires?

I tinker with my Supercharged S2000 all the time and -1 heat iradium plugs last forever even at 12psi on my Honda without any issues for 30K+ miles.

edit: 997.1TT, Sam is definitely great!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:59 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.1TT
Talk to Sam at BY-Design as he is the best and can help you with all of your questions and performance needs.

sam@bydesignauto.com
+1 that...Sam's tuning/build knowledge on all things TT is prodigious to say the least. I just learned another tip from him yesterday: Never run your oil level above 1/4 above minimum on a cold engine. If you do the crankcase pressure will push oil back up your system until it reaches TB and will cause the hoses to pop on High boost engines and will clog everything up even in stock engines.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:24 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruskiy
Thanks Kevin,

I’ll send you an email in a few days. Would be interesting to see some of these data logs. I would be running only 93 as this is a street only car and by strong top-end what I’m really seeking here is for that torque feel to never taper through the pull. It’s unfortunate these compressors can’t sustain upped boost all the way to 6K+.

A few more questions:
1) Can it sustain stock Sport boost all the way to redline? So take 1.2 bar and then force-tune for it to hold it all the way to fuel cut. Possible?
2) Whatsup with spark plugs needing such often replacement on this platform? Does it start pulling ignition due to misfires?

I tinker with my Supercharged S2000 all the time and -1 heat iradium plugs last forever even at 12psi on my Honda without any issues for 30K+ miles.

edit: 997.1TT, Sam is definitely great!
Even with new plugs timing can end up being pulled a couple degrees as Kevin stated with 93oct, engine mounts also can cause tons of noise being transmitted to the knock sensors causing timing to be pulled. Between running RSS mounts in the 997 and stock mounts, the RSS ones caused large amounts of timing retard on my car of 8 deg. As the plugs wear additional timing retard will result, so if you want to maintain the power in the 90-100% level thus changing the plugs often.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:35 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
+1 that...Sam's tuning/build knowledge on all things TT is prodigious to say the least. I just learned another tip from him yesterday: Never run your oil level above 1/4 above minimum on a cold engine. If you do the crankcase pressure will push oil back up your system until it reaches TB and will cause the hoses to pop on High boost engines and will clog everything up even in stock engines.
Never run your engine above 1/4 above minimum on a cold engine.

What exactly does this mean? When I do an oil change or maintain the oil level I use the Oil Level indicator through the dash and get it to at least the block below the full indicator and sometimes to the full indicator. Are you saying I should be at the first block in that screen?

Ed
Old 10-11-2018, 03:20 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Was going to ask the same thing - that oil level statement didn't quite make sense.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:33 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Oil level can not be measured when engine is cold. Even if you try to do it the countdown is over 10 min until it warms up.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:55 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Agree, never heard of such a thing. What does ".. clog everything up even in stock engines." mean?

Methinks something got lost in translation.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:04 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
A bit confused by this, it sounds like a lot of blow by issues for that to happen. I have seen it on high boost 1.8t engines if the PCV system is not up to snuff or getting tons of blow by from the rings not seated well. Of course we are talking 25-30psi ranges here, almost never see it at 20-24psi ranges unless the PCV check valve has failed.

Quick Reply: Question for 997.1TT tuners