Sponsored by:

Exhaust compared to cup car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Exhaust compared to cup car

I was at mid-ohio over the weekend and was reminded of how good the exhaust on the cup cars sound. I know our turbos will never be able to duplicate that, but what is it about the NA cup cars that makes them sound so good? I've used straight pipes coming off the cats and that was nasty (in a bad way). I have an x-pipe exhaust which is fine for daily use. How does a turbo with cat-delete and an xpipe sound? The cup cars sounded great even at lower rpms. I know the turbos muffle the sound somewhat, but both cars still have "roughly" the same boxer engine (it was a 997 cup car), so shouldn't they sound similar? I guess I'm wondering if the cat-delete pipes will make it sound more like what I hear on a cup car without the nastiness I was getting with straight pipes off the cat. Any opinions?

pic for attention

Old 09-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

Herea a YouTube video of a Rennlister with a Speedtech catless exhaust.

I just put the catted version of this one on and I am happy with it. I think the catless would be too much for my cabrio.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:32 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Herea a YouTube video of a Rennlister with a Speedtech catless exhaust.

https://youtu.be/6Zi5fNez6Ck

I just put the catted version of this one on and I am happy with it. I think the catless would be too much for my cabrio.
Makes it sound beastly!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't realize that you had wrapped the car and that you were up there or I would have come to say hi and introduce myself.

You need the x-pipe to get that pitch as you have to merge the banks of the exhaust to start getting that sound. Even then you won't quite have the revs but it will sound pretty close.

My car was the yellow 996 that sounds a lot like a cup because of my custom x-pipe exhaust my buddy made for me.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

It would be great to hear from someone who runs a cup car, and then to learn how they tune the back half. My bet is they custom design vs off the shelf, but that's just a guess.
I've modified mufflers on several Porsches now and I have what I think is the best combo for the 991 non turbo. However, the TT just doesn't match the non-turbo sound, IMHO. The non turbo deceleration crackle, and the crisp bark emitted during a PDK up shift is magical.
My TT is garaged in AZ and this state has smog regs, so I'm nervous about removing the cats and driving the TT given the catless exhaust note is clearly obvious. I run the X-pipe and 200 cell cats and don't need the ticket or vehicle forfeiture.
For what its worth...
Old 09-19-2018, 01:31 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

By far the best sound possible for a turbo. But I would never risk being catless in California.. I get pulled over by the wrong officer and my car is impounded..Not worth the risk. But man it sounds just amazing...
Old 09-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
By far the best sound possible for a turbo. But I would never risk being catless in California.. I get pulled over by the wrong officer and my car is impounded..Not worth the risk. But man it sounds just amazing...
EP2...100 cell cats and lots of Turbo whistle.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
EP2...100 cell cats and lots of Turbo whistle.
Yep; I would never go catless esp. in California for the aforementioned legality reasons as well as actual air quality. I partly chose the EP2 because visually it looks closer to stock than just about any other option, and most observers would not be able to tell unless they look closely for OE part numbers.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I didn't realize that you had wrapped the car and that you were up there or I would have come to say hi and introduce myself.

You need the x-pipe to get that pitch as you have to merge the banks of the exhaust to start getting that sound. Even then you won't quite have the revs but it will sound pretty close.

My car was the yellow 996 that sounds a lot like a cup because of my custom x-pipe exhaust my buddy made for me.
Ha, I saw your car a lot but also didn't make the connection (it sounded awesome). You were HAULING the mail! Lol. My son and I were watching you and the Ferrari cup car go at it. With the exception of the radical I think you were turning some of the fastest lap times, and by far you got your money's worth on the track--it seemed you were out there for just about every session except green and yellow. I was pretty happy I went the entire weekend without getting motion sick. It's a lot more fun when you're not queasy. I took some video of your car just to capture the exhaust sound. Are you running cats with your x-pipe or just straight pipes into the x-pipe? Cheers!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:42 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phillipj
Dang, you get your car impounded for that? Sheesh, I'm in Ohio and there are no e-checks or anything so I don't think it's nearly as big a risk to run catless. I run E85 all the time but assume there is no real difference between that and unleaded as far as emissions.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:39 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
I was at mid-ohio over the weekend and was reminded of how good the exhaust on the cup cars sound. I know our turbos will never be able to duplicate that, but what is it about the NA cup cars that makes them sound so good? I've used straight pipes coming off the cats and that was nasty (in a bad way). I have an x-pipe exhaust which is fine for daily use. How does a turbo with cat-delete and an xpipe sound? The cup cars sounded great even at lower rpms. I know the turbos muffle the sound somewhat, but both cars still have "roughly" the same boxer engine (it was a 997 cup car), so shouldn't they sound similar? I guess I'm wondering if the cat-delete pipes will make it sound more like what I hear on a cup car without the nastiness I was getting with straight pipes off the cat. Any opinions?

pic for attention
In my ears' opinion the EuroPipe stage 2 997.1 TT is best sound out there...that's what I bought, plus they are 3 inch and back pressure measures 0.12 Bar, so they flow extremely well...but that sound: Here's a youtube video.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Quick sound clip of my car with Europipe 2...recorded with iPhone 4 or 5 lol

Old 09-25-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Ha, I saw your car a lot but also didn't make the connection (it sounded awesome). You were HAULING the mail! Lol. My son and I were watching you and the Ferrari cup car go at it. With the exception of the radical I think you were turning some of the fastest lap times, and by far you got your money's worth on the track--it seemed you were out there for just about every session except green and yellow. I was pretty happy I went the entire weekend without getting motion sick. It's a lot more fun when you're not queasy. I took some video of your car just to capture the exhaust sound. Are you running cats with your x-pipe or just straight pipes into the x-pipe? Cheers!
Here's the exhaust build. No cats, custom built mufflers that obviously don't do much to tone down the noise (on purpose). My fab guy is in Johnstown if you ever want any custom work done.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...t-v-2-a-2.html

There's good an bad to the extra track time. I had 1 assigned student and 2 ad-hoc students I was helping so a good bit of that lapping was at a reduced pace doing some education with students in the right seat, and my student sessions backed up to the instructor group so I was only getting half instructor sessions when I was out there...so I jumped into the advanced group to chase that 458 challenge which was good fun! Little outmatched by equipment but I tried my best to keep his mirrors full.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:22 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

johnny/usrodeo: I know the EP2 sounds good, as does my X-pipe, but neither come close to a cup car. That's in an entirely different league. AudiOn19s has an exhaust that comes about as close as I've seen. I'll try and post a video from mid-ohio if I can figure out how to upload it.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:46 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

The turbos act like mufflers. never going to sound the same as a car without turbos

Quick Reply: Exhaust compared to cup car