Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles is too many miles on a 997 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Jespinosaesq
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Mdriver
My experience with my 997 turbo is that it is more reliable then a Honda !

I have an aftermarket platinum coverage warranty and in 2 years still haven't used it.
That is hilarious since I am currently driving a Honda S2000.
Its been extremely reliable but has zero torque but it does put a smile on my face when I rev it to 8000+ rpms.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jespinosaesq
That is hilarious since I am currently driving a Honda S2000.
Its been extremely reliable but has zero torque but it does put a smile on my face when I rev it to 8000+ rpms.
Same here. Fantastic car, except that I'm on my 4th timing chain tensioner (180K miles, 80K are supercharged) other than that S2000 is fantastically reliable over past 14yrs I've owned it.

I hope my 997TT will be the same.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

most people around here would say if your car sees rain or has over 30k might as well crush it.

So anything over 31k is junk
Old 09-19-2018, 03:52 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 106 Posts

It is interesting how the market responds to cars with 20-30k miles as mentioned above. They pay a premium, and 9 out of 10 times, there's lots of deferred maintenance that will need to be done in short order. Plugs, coils, water pump, fuel filter, brake fluid flush, etc. The slave can go at any time, as can the coolant pipes and the clutch becomes suspect if you tune it with anything other than the weaker flashes on the market today. $5-10k of work needed very quickly depending on everything required. All this versus buying a car with complete service records at 50k for a much more reasonable price that has likely had most of the above completed already.

There's no such thing as too many miles on these cars. Maintenance history and car condition are the key points. If it had 75k and was up to date on all maintenance and most preventative repairs and was clean, I'd buy it.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by A418t81
It is interesting how the market responds to cars with 20-30k miles as mentioned above. They pay a premium, and 9 out of 10 times, there's lots of deferred maintenance that will need to be done in short order. Plugs, coils, water pump, fuel filter, brake fluid flush, etc. The slave can go at any time, as can the coolant pipes and the clutch becomes suspect if you tune it with anything other than the weaker flashes on the market today. $5-10k of work needed very quickly depending on everything required. All this versus buying a car with complete service records at 50k for a much more reasonable price that has likely had most of the above completed already.

There's no such thing as too many miles on these cars. Maintenance history and car condition are the key points. If it had 75k and was up to date on all maintenance and most preventative repairs and was clean, I'd buy it.
+1
Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 84k on mine.. Although i have no plans to sell it if I did I know the new owner would get a great car. I bought mine with 37k in 2010.. I guess it should have exploded a long time ago lol! I agree with A418t81. A 50k car with all the maintenance done is a wise choice. I had had 4 Porches before my turbo. They had all been great cars so I had no issues with buying one with higher miles..
Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

my 09 has 72,000 Smiles on it have a 3 year platinum warranty used it once so far.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:46 AM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Here is the rough process I use to buy a used car. I simply plot the mileage on the x-axis and the price on the y-axis using the cars that are currently available on Autotrader. From this you can get a straight line and make an assessment on whether the car you are looking at is over or under priced. All the cars above the line MAY be over priced (depends on options, etc.). The cars below the line MAY be under priced. In the attached picture, I was looking at a car above the line and it was over priced by $3843 (the red dot). I did not buy this car. Instead, I did a similar analysis on the 2008 turbos and found one that was $5829 under priced and bought it. I paid more for it, but I got a great deal and if I ever want to sell it, I am already ahead.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

997 TT really only have 3 issues that will effect longevity outside of how they were driven.

1. Coolant Jacket pipe fails (not that rare and should be addressed)
2. Plastic fitting under oil cooler cracking (rarer than above, but should still be addressed)
3. Spinning camshaft (very very rare, but does happen, and you can pin them for about 7k-8k)

Now, you can read the codes on the 997 TT to see if it was over revved and by how much. I think it has 5 tiers of over revving. 1 is ok, 5 is your motor is probably going to be toast eventually. Many people think Porsche's because they are high end vehicles with supercar performance, are fragile. I have they are pretty damn stout and can take tons of a abuse that would make many similar cars cry. Once the above are done, the Meztger engine is pretty damn strong and reliable. Same for the M96 and M97 if you address the IMS bearing prior to the 997.2. I would say, don't worry about mileage as much as condition, have the issues with the 997tt engine been addressed (this is not a deal killer, but you can use it if it has not been done to your advantage and do it whenever you have the engine out next). Check to see if it has been over revved, check maintenance and car fax, and it it is a well maintained, not over revved car, buy what you can afford and do not worry as much about mileage as condition. 2 997tt owned by two different people with the exact mileage can be drastically different cars but might be the same price. One might be a track car that has been over revver due to a bad downshift, has clipped curbs, been in a minor wrecked on the car fax, not maintained, and nothing done to the issues, while the other might be a weekend driver, all issues fixed, never tracked or overrevved and had an oil change in 2 miles of being due.

I bought mine sight unseen, yes, a very brave or stupid move. I found some stuff wrong with it, had the coolant and oil cooler pipes fixed, checked it for over revs, and it has been fine. I have not fallen in love with it yet as I did my 997.2, but I am doing a few mods to make it drive more like I want it to. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Here is the rough process I use to buy a used car. I simply plot the mileage on the x-axis and the price on the y-axis using the cars that are currently available on Autotrader. From this you can get a straight line and make an assessment on whether the car you are looking at is over or under priced. All the cars above the line MAY be over priced (depends on options, etc.). The cars below the line MAY be under priced. In the attached picture, I was looking at a car above the line and it was over priced by $3843 (the red dot). I did not buy this car. Instead, I did a similar analysis on the 2008 turbos and found one that was $5829 under priced and bought it. I paid more for it, but I got a great deal and if I ever want to sell it, I am already ahead.

Great chart! Would be cool to see for manual coupes only.....to see if there's a flattening of the curve.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Alapor
Instructor

I bought mine 6 weeks ago. 2007 6 spd w/44000 miles. Never tracked, had some nice upgrades like suspension module and sachs 2.5 clutch. Had a clean history, a special interior package, and had sport chrono and loaded. 73k. Give the car a 8.5 to 9 out of 10.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Haha, if I extrapolate to 110K, subtract some for Tip and add back for PCCB, I get about $40K.

My impression of this pricing is that buyers are afraid of maintenance costs.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Going rates for 07-09 997tt with 6 spd and under 50k miles seems to be in the 70k-80k range with some low mileage ones getting into the 80k-95k range. The Tiptronics seem to be in the 60k-70; range with some low miles ones getting into the mid 70's.

One thing I noticed. The Tips seem to have lower miles than the manuals on average. Manuals seem to be in the 30k to 80k range mile wise. Tips seem to be in the 30k-40k range. Not as fun to drive maybe???? lol
Old 09-22-2018, 05:26 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

I could have been more clear, the chart is for coupes only. I was not interested in cabs. One other point is that I was only taking into account the asking price on Autotrader about a month ago.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:02 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Alapor
Tips seem to be in the 30k-40k range. Not as fun to drive maybe???? lol
Tips mostly driven by old guys. Some with 2 metal hips.

Quick Reply: How many miles is too many miles on a 997 Turbo?