Sponsored by:

Securing Floor Mats - I feel quite dumb posting this

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:45 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Securing Floor Mats - I feel quite dumb posting this

Something that has confounded me since acquiring my '07 997 is the floor mats. When I placed them in the vehicle I expected some way to secure them (my Audis all have little buttons on the floor that stick up through the mats). I do not see that in the 997. I am getting tired of rearranging them every once in while and I don't want them to wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I did some googling and found references to three scenarios:

1. Metal clip attached to the seat that fits into a loop on the mats
2. Velcro on the mat and the floor
3. Not installed by the prep team when the car was first purchased

I see the square fuzzy patches on the back side of the mats, but I do not see any velcro on the floor carpet. Am I in scenario #3? If so, hopefully there is a part I can order?

Am I missing anything on this?

Ed
Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like your car didn't have the velcro inserts put in for some reason. Here is a link but I am sure there are plenty of places to source them. https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...990205440.html

Also, be sure to find someway to secure the mats. We don't want you to experience a case of "toyota unintended acceleration"!
Old 09-14-2018, 07:43 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks for the link, I hope the place to screw these in is easily identifiable.

For SUA, it was Audi who first had to go through that crap in the 80's with the 5000, only in their case it was operator confusion over the placement of the pedals (brake & accelerator) that was the root cause. Of course after 60 minutes had some "expert" drill a hole in the transmission and apply pressure to get the car to do something like unintended acceleration they never did another story to set things straight. Audi suffered miserably from that and is now why in auto trans cars you have to step on the brake before starting or shifting into gear. I still bought my Audi coupe anyway since I knew there was no way any car would be able to move like that unless you used the throttle.

There's some "fake news" for ya!

Ed
Old 09-15-2018, 02:50 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
Thanks for the link, I hope the place to screw these in is easily identifiable.

Ed
Haven't looked in a long time, but I think you will either vaguely see a small hole from the past, or if not, just try to roughly match them up to the mat.

Your #1 scenario sounds like Lloyds mats, which have a clip that fits into the seat rail and attaches to the mats.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:41 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

I think there is a hole in the carpet that the inserts snap into. There are usually two, one on right and one on left a couple of inches from the seat rails. You can look on the back of the carpet to see where the reverse velcro should be positioned and the holes are in that general area...
Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

my 996tt mats have a plastic clip that snaps into the receiver clip that is mounted under the seat mounting bolt. simply unsnap them to remove the carpet snap into place and the carpet never moves
Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

That's funny. I guess I'm in the minority here but ...

I ordered the black on black mats from Lloyds as soon as I bought the car.
I have never secured mine, ever, in over 40 years of driving various cars. I shake out my mats every time I get in the car of lint, dirt, etc, and I would never want them attached to the carpet in anyway at all. It's never been a traffic hazard, carpet hazard, footwell hazard of any kind and I LOVE it this way. Whenever I get new Lloyd mats or OEM carpet mats I rip out anything having to do with fastening them to the carpet or car.

Quick Reply: Securing Floor Mats - I feel quite dumb posting this