Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Had to leave my car in Wilmington, NC during the evacuation.. (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1096981-had-to-leave-my-car-in-wilmington-nc-during-the-evacuation.html)

USNA12 09-13-2018 09:38 AM

Had to leave my car in Wilmington, NC during the evacuation..

Well gents. Heres to hoping my baby is still there when I get back next week! Damn you Florence

Side note, anyone in Westchester, NY want to grab lunch and let a lonely pilot play with their car since mine will most likely be washed away tomorrow :(

atcbi5 09-13-2018 09:43 AM

You will be ok buddy, don’t worry about it. I was in Raleigh a few months ago and didn’t see any 997 turbos. Visited a few beer breweries around town. I look for these things you know.

USNA12 09-13-2018 09:45 AM

More worried about my Cessna 172 I bought last week to lease out to the flight school in Wilmington

Dodaleca 09-13-2018 09:57 AM

Good luck - hopefully everybody is safe first and your stuff undamaged when you get back!

lliejk 09-13-2018 10:54 AM

Looks like they downgraded it a bit, but still nasty looking and heading right for Wilmington. Hopefully less surge, but the rain event afterward concerns me more than anything else. If you are not in a flood prone area and have everything tied down well, I think you are in better shape than what they were forecasting yesterday.

You did the right thing by getting the heck out of there, and I hope your vehicles will be OK when you get back.

Ed

phillipj 09-13-2018 12:20 PM

I pray that your car will be okay...And what is most important is your safety. As others have said it looks like it has been downgraded a bit...

USNA12 09-13-2018 03:04 PM

The downgrade is somewhat reassuring!

o7silverturbo 09-14-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by USNA12 (Post 15286839)
Well gents. Heres to hoping my baby is still there when I get back next week! Damn you Florence

Side note, anyone in Westchester, NY want to grab lunch and let a lonely pilot play with their car since mine will most likely be washed away tomorrow :(

Can I ask why would you leave it behind???

usrodeo4 09-14-2018 05:27 PM

Flood Warning issued September 13 at 11:19AM EDT until further notice by NWS WilmingtonPender...The Flood Warning has been extended for the following rivers...Northeast Cape Fear Near Burgaw affecting Pender County NC...Flood Warning now in effect until further notice...The Flood Warning continues forThe Northeast Cape Fear Near Burgaw.* from Saturday morning until further notice.* At 10:30 AM Thursday the stage was 2.60 feet.* Flood stage is 10.0 feet.* Major flooding is forecast.* Forecast...Rise above flood stage by Saturday morning and continue to rise tonear 24.0 feet by early Tuesday morning.* Impact...At 22.4 feet...12 miles of Highway 53 are underwater,in some cases 7feet deep, between the Northeast Cape Fear bridge and Maple Hill. All homesincluding 60 in River Bend, 20 to 25 in River Birch and 12 in the AlligatorLake subdivision are flooded. 20 to 30 homes in Holly Shelter estates areunderwater. In the Sandy Bend subdivision, off Shaw Highway, 40 to 50 homes,which is half of the homes in the subdivision sustain flooding. Portions ofCroomsbridge, Island Creek and White Stocking Roads are underwater.

Hopefully she isn't in the effected areas...hang in their dude! If you want to head south we are beautiful here in Cocoa Beach...I'll take ya to lunch and you can even drive.

sidwin 09-14-2018 11:39 PM

i left my prized 95 900RWHP supra 6 spd during katrina. i parked her at charity hospital. i walked through 3 ft of water to go look for her 3 days after the storm. She was fine.....

cars are replaceable.. life isn't. Car ran 104 octane fuel and didn't have enough to make it to houston so i had to leave her. when u see your car again, it will be like seeing heaven ;)

lliejk 09-15-2018 01:32 AM

Hopefully a 4' surge isn't enough to get to where your car is and you're not too close to a river.

This site gave a pretty good summary of the water impact of the hurricane: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...?noredirect=on

There is a PBS site that has more information and a link to Wilmington's Twitter, but I can't post the link for some reason. It looks like rivers crest tomorrow sometime.

As others have said, being safe is the most important thing, cars can be replaced.

Ed

Bxstr 09-15-2018 02:30 PM

Ugh, I am sure it will all be fine though. I watched the process you went through to find your car, so I hope it is ok after the storm.

BrettG 06878 09-16-2018 12:39 AM

I was at Ross West this morning taking care of currency requirements for my Private - didn’t have the turbo out though

USNA12 09-16-2018 02:15 PM

Had to leave it due to not being able to find a car Dolley and being able to fit way more in my truck to include at least one motorcycle(the Xdiavel). Apparently my neighborhood did not really flood too bad and my house is kind of on a hill, I am now worries about the trees in my backyard if any of them came down.

Brett what were you flying? I am commercial rated in fixed single engine land and rotary

USNA12 09-16-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by usrodeo4 (Post 15290588)

Hopefully she isn't in the effected areas...hang in their dude! If you want to head south we are beautiful here in Cocoa Beach...I'll take ya to lunch and you can even drive.

I am up in New York but that was an awesome offer thank you! I have just been enjoying the crisp mountain air on my bike trying to keep my mind off it!