Sponsored by:

Approximate fuel consumption during HPDE in a 997.2 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 04:18 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Approximate fuel consumption during HPDE in a 997.2 TTS

I've got my first track day, in my "new to me" 997.2 TTS, this Friday. The track is located 20 miles from the nearest gas station. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a fuel can to take extra fuel. (I'd prefer to not have fuel in the car, both for safety, and due to potential for leakage, fumes, etc. Worst case I can fill the can at the station 20 miles away, put it in the frunk, and drive cautiously. There is a third option: buy 100 octane fuel at the3 track for $10/gallon; less than ideal.)

I know fuel consumption will be track dependent, but I'm wondering APPROXIMATELY what I might get. I read that Cup cars get 3mpg, and I get ~17 with spirited highway driving. So that bounds it somewhere between 3-17mpg....

The track is High Plains Raceway outside Denver, in case anyone actually has some direct experience.

Guesstimates appreciated.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My 997.2 GTS consumes 4 gallons per 21 minute HPDE session.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by paulfdunn
I've got my first track day, in my "new to me" 997.2 TTS, this Friday. The track is located 20 miles from the nearest gas station. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a fuel can to take extra fuel. (I'd prefer to not have fuel in the car, both for safety, and due to potential for leakage, fumes, etc. Worst case I can fill the can at the station 20 miles away, put it in the frunk, and drive cautiously. There is a third option: buy 100 octane fuel at the3 track for $10/gallon; less than ideal.)

I know fuel consumption will be track dependent, but I'm wondering APPROXIMATELY what I might get. I read that Cup cars get 3mpg, and I get ~17 with spirited highway driving. So that bounds it somewhere between 3-17mpg....

The track is High Plains Raceway outside Denver, in case anyone actually has some direct experience.

Guesstimates appreciated.
LOOOOOOOOL you're gonna need a trailer to handle all the fuel you're going to need lmao. A couple of 5gal pails won't be the difference between having to leave to fuel up or not. The 997 Turbo is on another level when it comes to fuel consumption at the track if you're actually driving fast. A lot of NA GT car guys use a 20L / 5gal jug per session @ Mosport. The Turbos will use even more, maybe ~25-30gal per session when driven in anger.

At a typical PCA DE event, I would run through almost a full tank by lunch, complete refuel, then be on fumes at the end of the day limping to the closest gas station. Mind you my home track Mosport is FAST, and fast in a turbo = all the fuel. I've recently acquired a 987.1 Cayman S track car. I lap almost 4 seconds faster than the Turbo and it uses half the amount of fuel lol.

The 997TT is a beast at the track. Scary fast actually. Any 997TT owner that hasn't taken their car to the track to experience just how fast the turbo truly is, is missing out. Highway pulls to 120mph won't even get your heart rate up anymore once you become a track junkie. I got to a point where I realized I was ***** deep into the track scene and it was time to either convert the 997TT into a safe track car and ruin it's usability on the street, or buy a dedicated tool for the purpose. Opted for the latter and no regrets.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:08 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Oh geez, that is more fuel that I would have thought. Good news: I likely only need a 2 Gal tank. Bad news: that is because the 2 gallons will make sure I have enough gas to drive the 20 miles at lunch to get a full tank.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

I'll reply to my own thread for the benefit of others who may have this question.

Track: High Plains Raceway, 2.55miles, 15 corners, 5200 ft elevation, 90F on the days I drove.
Mileage: ~6 miles/gallon. (PCM shows 8 miles/gallon; but that is wrong.) I spoke to drivers of a 991 C4S and a 991 GT3, both reported the same milage.
Gas strategy: Fill up in either Byers or Deer Trail on your way to the track, and fill 2x5gallon/20 liter containers. (Mine filled to about 5.75 gallons, with room to spare.) With 4x30minute sessions, and putting the extra fuel in the car after either the 2nd or 3rd session, that left me with > 3 gallons in the tank at the end of the day. That is more than enough to get back to Byers or Deer Trail.

My car has the 17.7 gallon tank. If you have the extended range tank (25gallons), you will only need one 5 gallon bottle to make it through the day.

I used these tanks (labeled "No Spill"), and they fit very nicely in the frunk:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/No-Spill...50-S/206987994
These cans also allow getting the fuel into the car, without spilling WITHOUT the need for any extra hose. (Hold the can upside down, insert nozzle into car gas receptacle, pull the trigger.)

Last edited by paulfdunn; 10-04-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

2011 TTS, should be smiles per gallon not miles per gallon. I’m hard pressed to get 4 twenty minute sessions on a full tank, I just throw that extra 5 gallons in for the fourth session, better safe than embarrassed.

Jedi

Old 09-17-2018, 11:50 PM
jds108
Track Day

Jeez, I got about 4.5 miles/gallon at the Salt Lake City track yesterday. Maybe I should cut back on the throttle... (2007 turbo)

Quick Reply: Approximate fuel consumption during HPDE in a 997.2 TTS