Sponsored by:

964RS engine mounts and DSC

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default 964RS engine mounts and DSC

I got around to installing some 964RS engine mounts today as others here have recommended. Wow. Really like. The back end is now totally planted under braking, bumps, and turns. I'm running stock suspension and sways. DSC and now the 964RS mounts are the only suspension mods I have.

I love my DSC, but had thought the base map was too soft. In particular, it felt like the car had too little damping over big, low frequency bumps and dips - - the type where you worry about bottoming out at high speed. And sometimes under heavy high speed braking there was still some wag from the back, even with the DSC. But not any more.

It turns out that the DSC base map is fine. What I was feeling was the engine bouncing around! With that sorted thanks to the RS mounts, the DSC really shines. The beast is planted. Love it.

I don't think my old factory hydraulic mounts were shot. They appeared stretched (equally) by no more than 1/8th inch - - the exhaust tips were only slightly higher with the new RS mounts in place. I suspect the factory mounts are just too soft for what the car is capable of.

I bought my 964RS mounts from Aaron at RennPart. He was great to deal with. I bought the cheaper Uro mounts with the 997 hardware kit - - a bargain at right around two bills delivered. I figured I could buy new factory mounts and only be out an extra hundred if the Uros sucked.

I installed the mounts myself in about an hour taking my time to clean up the engine bay and change the air filter while I was in there. It's pretty easy, though you'll likely need a helper for a couple minutes when the time comes to torque the main through-bolts.

And yes, there is a smidge more vibration (not noise), but it feels good and sporty, not harsh or annoying. I suppose the new variable mounts would let you have it any way you like, but that's not an option I'm aware of for the 997.1, and if it were available, it'd probably be much more expensive than the kit I just installed.

I still may consider adding a GT2 rear bar, but honestly, I'm not sure if that's needed based on how it's handling now. We'll see. I'll probably get upgradeitis soon enough...

Punchline: If you don't have them already, spend $200 on a set of RS mounts (or about double that for the factory version). They help the DSC do its job and will make you like your car even more.

Last edited by Brainz; 09-10-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: type
Old 09-10-2018, 03:05 AM
L96A1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful as I find the DSC wavy too, saved my trouble tampering with the DSC module. Is the new mount variable the same way as the stock mounts?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I installed 993RS engine mounts years ago, inexpensive but very nice mod. (Bought from Carnewal with 997.1TT hardware.)
Old 09-10-2018, 04:16 AM
L96A1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just realized the engine mounts for .1 and .2 are different.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:08 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Very helpful post. Engine (and maybe trans) mounts are on my list, but I wasn't sure which I was going to tackle first.I can also feel the rear move down and around during hard cornering over uneven road surfaces and have used throttle control to deal with it as much as I can.The DSC removed much of what I was getting before that upgrade, now I want to refine it that last little bit with sways and mounts.

I had done this on my I520VT in my old S6, and it made a difference, though I thought I had gone to far with race density trans mounts, so to hear some real life experience about mounts is very helpful. Thanks for posting.

Ed
Old 09-10-2018, 10:55 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

964 RS mounts here. From carnewal. Changed dampers same time, so hard to isolate affect of motor mounts themselves.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
Very helpful post. Engine (and maybe trans) mounts are on my list, but I wasn't sure which I was going to tackle first.I can also feel the rear move down and around during hard cornering over uneven road surfaces and have used throttle control to deal with it as much as I can.The DSC removed much of what I was getting before that upgrade, now I want to refine it that last little bit with sways and mounts.

I had done this on my I520VT in my old S6, and it made a difference, though I thought I had gone to far with race density trans mounts, so to hear some real life experience about mounts is very helpful. Thanks for posting.

Ed
Do you have the GT2 rear bar?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

No and I am still working out whether it's the GT2 rear bar alone or a set of bars.

I was looking for the GMG bar set, but they are NLA. I want to make sure whatever I do I don't upset the balance while attempting to improve the handling. I know they have a reputation for understeer, though I have been more successful breaking the rear loose than plowing the front end through a turn. Of course I have 0 track time so I am not trying to kill myself on the street and having driven these things (non turbos) when I was much younger I know how they like to be driven with throttle coming off a turn rather than driving in too hard and over-braking.

One thing I never found out was what size bar the GT2's have up front. I have read good things about adding a GT2 rear bar, and it is one of the options I have been looking at.

Ed
Old 09-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked with the results -- honestly, shocked, at what a noticeable difference it made. I'm really glad I made the change before I did the sways as I'd likely still be chasing "the wag." HARD braking is now incredible -- the car just digs in with no drama. Before, I was always correcting a bit here or there, at less braking force. The modest vibration I feel (mostly at idle) adds back some of the old-school 911 character to the car. I like it, it's sporty. Out of curiosity, I may go back and swap in the factory PASM controller and see what happens. There's no way I'm getting rid of my DSC, but I suspect the factory PASM controller would feel way better if the engine wasn't swinging around too -- could make for a cheap/easily-reversed first mod for even the non-molesters.

On some local closed course testing, I could tell the car was still biased to modest understeer, but honestly, the performance levels were so high, that I'm likely call it "good enough" for the roads and speeds I'm able able to drive. For track work, I get that the sways would add another beneficial dimension -- just not sure they're needed for the [rough/wet] street driving on stock springs/PASMs that I do. Time will tell as I get used to my new found abilities -- I reserve the right to go further down the rabbit hole...

Last edited by Brainz; 09-10-2018 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I highly recommend the GT2 sway, as IMO it makes it safer in wet conditions. Understeer when pushing around a corner in the wet can be an uncomfortable situation, being able to turn in/rotate a little easier makes the car much more manageable.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been really happy so far with the combination of DSC, GT2 rear bar and engine mounts on my .1. It seems like a great start on nailing-down the marshmallow suspension of the stock .1

Note I added a rebuilt/upgraded LSD at the same time as the GT2 bar and Wevo mounts -- really significant change in driving dynamics. I already had the DSC beforehand.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:43 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

I used to have an Audi Coupe Quattro with the LSD, the key was being able to lock the rear axles below 15 MPH to motor through or get out of deep snow. I don't recall if there was much of handling difference between that and the next quattro Audi with an EDL.

Of course I wasn't breaking the wheels loose with a 325 hp engine on a 4000 lb chassis very often (nor the 275 hp Coupe either).

Beyond the winter application, does the difference really show on a 997 TT?

Ed
Old 09-26-2018, 01:32 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I went with: 997.375.049.91

Old 09-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turboslut
I went with: 997.375.049.91
Which model is that mount spec'd to? I was looking through the PET and saw the GT2 had a different mount than the Turbo (and if I recall, the cabrio was different than the coupe).

Let us know how you like that mount. I'm still thrilled with the 964RS mounts. I feel more engine vibration at idle, but I don't really notice any other NVH otherwise. Back end feels very connected.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:41 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

That part number is from GT2 RS.

Quick Reply: 964RS engine mounts and DSC