Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a new TPMS controller need to be programmed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:29 PM
nivlak
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a new TPMS controller need to be programmed?

Hello -

Im new the forum and new to Porsche as well. I recently purchased a 2009 997TT. When I purchased it the TPMS light was on. The tires where worn so I replaced them all and the sensors as well. I reset the controller and drove but it never recognized the new sensors. I ordered and replaced the TPM controller. I tried setting the controller in learning mode and drove around and again it doesnt recognize the sensors. It eventually just says TPMS inactive. Ive checked the sensors themselves and they are all coded and transmitting.

Do I need to somehow program the controller itself with the individual TPMS codes from each tire? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
CH
Old 09-13-2018, 01:25 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The TPMS should have reset especially with the replacement of all four sensors. Hopefully you have driven 10-15 miles and not just around the block.
I've run into this situation as well including when using the same (not new) sensors in new tires. I've deleted the error with my diagnostic tool then driven the car and the system reset correctly. Hopefully the new sensors you purchased were programmed for your car. However, I'm not certain a new TPM controller was necessary...
On a recent occasion in one Porsche I was unable to eliminate the errors. I dropped the car at the dealer to have a second key programmed and they deleted the TPMS code with PIWIS. In my case, a bigger Louisville Slugger was required :-) Finally, there is no harm in investing is a good diagnostic tool.

Quick Reply: Does a new TPMS controller need to be programmed?