Sponsored by:

Lights, all of them!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:50 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Lights, all of them!

So my car appears to have xenon/ HID's? And standard halogen DRL's / fogs. It seems to me the head lights level is too low, from what I can tell the auto adjustment works? I have no errors but the low beams just seem too low and too close to really be of any use. Can I re-program the light adjustment? I saw a post on here the other day about a 991 direct swap for the fog's and that looks nice, is there any good direct swap head lights? I might want to convert to LED's and this is a rare occasion my googling skills are failing me. Lastly does anyone know of a good place to grab plug and play LED bulb's for the interior lights? I'd like to swap anything I can to LED. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If it the article I am thinking of it was the 997.2 LED Swap.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Maybe this post is on the wrong forum. 991 Turbos (like 997.2 turbos) don’t have fog lights. Perhaps it should be on the regular 997 board?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:05 AM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Maybe this post is on the wrong forum. 991 Turbos (like 997.2 turbos) don’t have fog lights. Perhaps it should be on the regular 997 board?
Is it? I have a 997.1 TT...I'm trying to figure out how to fix the headlights aiming low and replace the interior bulbs with LEDs...
Old 09-05-2018, 01:53 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

One reference I can find about headlights is the dipping/leveling that occurs when you first turn the ignition key with the low beams on.

Another refers to adjusting them vertically. Check you manual and see if it is there. There was some discussion on whether this would work for the self leveling lights, but it seems it will work for them as well, although I have not done this myself. From one of the posts:

" To adjust the lights if you still have issues:

You'll need a long reach 5mm Allen key to adjust height (at least 150mm long).

Open the bonnet, remove the carpet / trims adjacent to lights and the adjusters are under the rubber covers (one above the other) the big round bung covers the mechanism to remove the lamp unit (leave that one alone!!)

To adjust the height, turn the lower adjuster only - the upper adjuster is for lateral adjustment

Mark the original height on a garage wall (for example) and providing the car is parked in the same spot each time you can make adjustments knowing where to go back to if necessary. "

I am happy with my lights, so i would think you should be able to improve yours.

Ed
Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
Is it? I have a 997.1 TT...I'm trying to figure out how to fix the headlights aiming low and replace the interior bulbs with LEDs...
Sounds like you’re in the right place then. I thought you were asking about swapping fog lights from a 991 to a 997.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:12 AM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lliejk
One reference I can find about headlights is the dipping/leveling that occurs when you first turn the ignition key with the low beams on.

Another refers to adjusting them vertically. Check you manual and see if it is there. There was some discussion on whether this would work for the self leveling lights, but it seems it will work for them as well, although I have not done this myself. From one of the posts:

" To adjust the lights if you still have issues:

You'll need a long reach 5mm Allen key to adjust height (at least 150mm long).

Open the bonnet, remove the carpet / trims adjacent to lights and the adjusters are under the rubber covers (one above the other) the big round bung covers the mechanism to remove the lamp unit (leave that one alone!!)

To adjust the height, turn the lower adjuster only - the upper adjuster is for lateral adjustment

Mark the original height on a garage wall (for example) and providing the car is parked in the same spot each time you can make adjustments knowing where to go back to if necessary. "

I am happy with my lights, so i would think you should be able to improve yours.

Ed
Thanks, I will take a look, might be just what I need. It does look like the lights are not performing the self level at startup.

Sounds like you’re in the right place then. I thought you were asking about swapping fog lights from a 991 to a 997.
Partially yes, I just happened to see that and was curious if there were any headlight swap options for LED's
Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I know that there are some 991-style aftermarket headlights out there for the 997. I believe that they utilize the existing HID lamps and hardware, and it’s more of a cosmetic modification. Have you installed new HID bulbs in your OE headlight assemblies? This may make a difference. HID bulbs lose intensity as they age, and the color temperature changes. I think the lifespan of HID bulbs is generally around 10 years, depending on use. You also have the option to change the color temperature if you change bulbs. The OE bulbs are 4,300K. Many aftermarket bulbs offer a whiter light, with temperature of 5,000K or more. Anything over that results in a blue light, even moving towards purple as color temperature increases. You’d obviously want to avoid those.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

If the leveler is not working you will want to get that addressed at some point.

Ed
Old 09-21-2018, 04:15 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

I know that there are some 991-style aftermarket headlights out there for the 997. I believe that they utilize the existing HID lamps and hardware, and it’s more of a cosmetic modification. Have you installed new HID bulbs in your OE headlight assemblies? This may make a difference. HID bulbs lose intensity as they age, and the color temperature changes. I think the lifespan of HID bulbs is generally around 10 years, depending on use. You also have the option to change the color temperature if you change bulbs. The OE bulbs are 4,300K. Many aftermarket bulbs offer a whiter light, with temperature of 5,000K or more. Anything over that results in a blue light, even moving towards purple as color temperature increases. You’d obviously want to avoid those.
I checked and the auto level works, I have no clue how old the bulbs are... Where is a good place to get a 5k bulb?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Coming from a Honda S2000 platform which has one of the best projectors... I was very disappointed with Porsche's HID performance. I had a spare set of cheaper but more reputable bulbs, so instead of installing them in my Honda I said well what the hell since Porsche's light output is inferior at least I can have updated headlight color. Long story longer it turned out that my Philips bulbs were just tired and color output aside the distance and brightness (Lumen & Lux) was drastically improved. My 911 output seems to be almost as good as S2000's even though 997 uses frosted lenses vs clear on S2000 projectors.

Here is where you can buy these XB35 5500 Kelvin D2S bulbs:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Here's my Instagram post:
Name:  X58E3Z4.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  190.5 KB

Also, in your frunk there should be a tool that you can use to adjust the height of our lights if auto-leveling is off a little.

Last edited by Ruskiy; 09-21-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Funny...I was doing a ton of research this weekend as I noticed my bulbs seem tired. They are the original bulbs and given that I have the DRL feature enabled, I'm sure there's a significant amount of hours on them. A lot of new cars seem to be using higher Kelvin bulbs to give off that fashionable blue or purple light. I watched a bunch of their review videos and I think I'm going to go with the Osram bulb.

I do remember there was a guy that upgraded the lenses on the headlights and it made a decent improvement...can't find the thread now but I think it was on 6speed.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Funny...I was doing a ton of research this weekend as I noticed my bulbs seem tired. They are the original bulbs and given that I have the DRL feature enabled, I'm sure there's a significant amount of hours on them. A lot of new cars seem to be using higher Kelvin bulbs to give off that fashionable blue or purple light. I watched a bunch of their review videos and I think I'm going to go with the Osram bulb.

I do remember there was a guy that upgraded the lenses on the headlights and it made a decent improvement...can't find the thread now but I think it was on 6speed.
Yeah, the new Osram CBA seem to be awesome and the bulbs to get even over the Gen2 of Philips ones that came out 6mo ago I think.
"Philips 85122 WX: 223 Lux. Osram D2S CBI: 316 Lux. Osram D2S CBA: 332 Lux!"
Old 09-25-2018, 02:43 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ruskiy
Yeah, the new Osram CBA seem to be awesome and the bulbs to get even over the Gen2 of Philips ones that came out 6mo ago I think.
"Philips 85122 WX: 223 Lux. Osram D2S CBI: 316 Lux. Osram D2S CBA: 332 Lux!"
I think I'm going with the Osram CBB after the latest video review by The Retrofit Source.

Here's the link for the lens upgrade:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lens-swap.html
Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

The review...the voted the CBB the best Osram bulb then compared it to Philips bulbs:

Quick Reply: Lights, all of them!