Sponsored by:

Roaming Misfires on bank 2 997.2 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:33 PM
onefastman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roaming Misfires on bank 2 997.2 Turbo

So I have a weird issue. As many of you have read I did a full rebuild of my 997.2tt engine with all serviceable parts replaced (left the heads alone as they were good) and forged rods, pistons, crank, etc. Everything was good and well until one day it developed a misfire with any amount of boost. It had half a tank of gas in it so not fuel, plugs and coils are 2,000 miles old. It was on cylinder 5 so we changed the coil and all plugs, then it moved to 6, so we changed that coil, now it’s on 4.

These are all on the same bank. The coils came from RM European (wondering if they are knock off beru’s from China). The car is running Cobb stage 3 (has their map sensors). When checked with a cheap code reader it shows a throttle/map code (basically reading two different values) but doesn’t throw a CEL, the durametric, snap on, and other readers don’t show that code at all.

All cam silonids are new, as are timing chains and such.

Any ideas what could could be causing a roaming misfire on 1 bank of cylinders?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:24 AM
billywenk
Intermediate

Hello I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Just a few questions to help me get a grasp of what’s going on so maybe I can help.

1. Have the heads surfaces been checked?
2. Have you checked the camshaft deviation?
3. Have you checked to make sure VarioCam is working properly on a scan tool when actuated and monitored it when boost comes in?
4. Have the valves been replaced or seated if not?
5. What mileage is on this block?
Old 08-25-2018, 09:33 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

When this happened did you replace ALL coils or just the coils on the cylinders that had the misfires? I read the post as replacing all spark plugs but I am not sure if you replaced all coils. If 1 cylinder at a time, do the misfires reappear on the cylinders that have had the coils replaced?

Ed
Old 08-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would remove the tune and see what happens? If you said nothing but listed the symptoms, I would guess coils. But based on the history of the car, it could be anything...
Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 PM
billywenk
Intermediate

Another thing I forgot to ask what is the boost levels and what is the spark plug type and gap?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:02 AM
onefastman
Intermediate

One coil and all plugs at first, then another coil, and on Monday all coils are going to be changed (wondering if RM European sold me a set of Chinese knock off Beru’s).

The car ran perfectly until it suddenly started misfiring with any amount of boost.

The car is running cobb stage 3.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:58 PM
billywenk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onefastman
One coil and all plugs at first, then another coil, and on Monday all coils are going to be changed (wondering if RM European sold me a set of Chinese knock off Beru’s).

The car ran perfectly until it suddenly started misfiring with any amount of boost.

The car is running cobb stage 3.
If the plugs are way out on gap its possible spark blow out as well. Check over everything and let us know. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:14 PM
onefastman
Intermediate

They are stock plugs with stock gap.

I don’t think the plugs are the issue because the car ran perfectly for 2,000 miles after the build and with no changes, suddenly developed a misfire with any boost. Since that all the plugs are new and the problem persists. The tech working on it is out today but the shop owner is checking over all the connections and smoke testing it to see if something is leaking.

Originally Posted by billywenk
If the plugs are way out on gap its possible spark blow out as well. Check over everything and let us know. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:20 PM
jboy tt
Track Day

Tighten up those plug gaps......
Old 08-30-2018, 08:40 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Have you checked your injectors?

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:52 AM
onefastman
Intermediate

Default Solution!

This was one of those times that the solution is easy, thankfully. We changed all 6 plugs and 6 coils, redid any other connection to make sure it was tight, and put dialectic grease on the connectors.

The car runs far smoother and feels like it’s making more power than before. Plugged in the computer to check fuel, timing, etc and all was spot on.

Lesson of the day is be very careful where you buy your coils from. Mine came from RM European and were silly cheap (as in $37 a coil) and were likely Chinese knock offs of the Beru. Given how much of a PITA it is to change coils, I’ll only buy from a dealer from here on out.

Quick Reply: Roaming Misfires on bank 2 997.2 Turbo