Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers

Old 08-21-2018, 03:42 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Coilovers

I went on a 4 day up north drive and came to the conclusion that the H&R coilovers that are on my 2008 997tt are just too stiff. They were just put on my car shortly before I purchased it. I want to try to keep the lowered ride height (if possible), but need something that’s not brutal over expansion joints or road construction. I will never track the car and will be using it for weekend drives with my wife. I really like the looks of the lowered ride height, but need something that is more comfortable to drive. Any suggestions for smoother, less harsh coil overs?

Old 08-21-2018, 04:03 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I have lowering springs and stock shocks on mine, along with the DSC module. Is slightly harsher than stock but perfectly drivable on rough roads.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Macadamia metallic? Gorgeous!
Old 08-21-2018, 04:16 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Do you have a DSC unit?

Ed
Old 08-21-2018, 05:27 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe you could try raising it up a little bit to see if that helps? Cheap way to see if that makes it a little more compliant.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Stock shocks, lowering springs (Eibach or GMG), DSC, and a more aggressive alignment does wonders for handling with a reasonably comfortable ride. Beyond about -1.0 front camber you will need GT3 lower control arms or camber plates. GT2 rear sway bar is a big plus too (most owners use the middle setting on the street). These cars are sensitive to the toe setting so some (like me) use a rear toe control arm link with locking plate. Tarret Engineering is a good option there.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DSC controller plus stock shocks and springs gives me a very comfy ride on the street. I know the stance is a tad higher but I have an Aerokit style front lip that's painted that I didn't want to crack or scrape. I also have a bunch of RSS rear hardware such as dog bones and toe steer kit and sway bar set in the middle. The front is all stock.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theplings
Maybe you could try raising it up a little bit to see if that helps? Cheap way to see if that makes it a little more compliant.
Handling is exceptional. I know the previous opener spent a lot of money to get it setup this way. It’s just not what I want. I could try raising it up a bit if that makes it ride any smoother. It sounds like most posts here say to go with stock shocks and stock/aftermarket springs. Then buy a DSC controller. I’m thinking the cost of all that (new) would be more than a different set of coilovers.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Bilstein B8. DSC. Gmg springs.

Great fixed active Sport Suspension.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Bilstein B8. DSC. Gmg springs.

Great fixed active Sport Suspension.
This.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 AM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by ble2011

Handling is exceptional. I know the previous opener spent a lot of money to get it setup this way. It’s just not what I want. I could try raising it up a bit if that makes it ride any smoother. It sounds like most posts here say to go with stock shocks and stock/aftermarket springs. Then buy a DSC controller. I’m thinking the cost of all that (new) would be more than a different set of coilovers.
I think you should try and ride around in some different setups and find a good shop that can help you with this before you start throwing money at it. Have you been in a stock car?

Parts and labor for suspension isnt cheap. I just added coilovers to my car and it seems like it's more art than science.

One man's perfectly compliant street setup is another man's worst nightmare, it's very subjective.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

No matter what you decide on for the shock/spring setup, I think you would be well served by getting a DSC first. Whether it solves your issues on the suspension currently on the car or not, it will be a valuable addition. Even if you change out the suspension, it will make a marked difference in the way the car behaves.

When I first acquired my 997 I was distressed with how the coilovers were behaving. I had done a ton of reading and decided to get the DSC. What a difference. You will not be disappointed and it will be a great compliment to whatever you wind up with. The best part is the install is the easiest suspension upgrade you can accomplish.

Ed
Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 AM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by lliejk
No matter what you decide on for the shock/spring setup, I think you would be well served by getting a DSC first. Whether it solves your issues on the suspension currently on the car or not, it will be a valuable addition. Even if you change out the suspension, it will make a marked difference in the way the car behaves.

When I first acquired my 997 I was distressed with how the coilovers were behaving. I had done a ton of reading and decided to get the DSC. What a difference. You will not be disappointed and it will be a great compliment to whatever you wind up with. The best part is the install is the easiest suspension upgrade you can accomplish.

Ed
He has H&R Coilovers - DSC box is not compatible.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by theplings
He has H&R Coilovers - DSC box is not compatible.
Exactly. He got rid of porsches "active suspension management."

DSC enhances the "active" part of the suspension management.

There are countless threads on guys trying to get adjustable coilovers set up right (and spending hours upon hours and mods upon mods)

Another reason why B8s are the way to go.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Ooops... I should have recognized that from the first post. OK, I guess then it's either coilover height, new springs or a whole new spring/shock set up to change the ride.

Ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coilovers