Sponsored by:

Mod my 997TT or buy a 991TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:24 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Wait a minute.

put the 09 in your garage, cover it, and store it for 1 month.

When you drive a car everyday, you sometimes forget how special the car is, and then you think about crazy things.

Thats why I do.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

I'd drive a 2012 Turbo S, then the 991.1 Turbo S and lastly the 991.2 Turbo S.

Regardless of what we say, it will come down to the impression you get from driving these beasts. When your done, you'll have your answer. You'll know intuitively what to do. 100 different people could give you 100 different answers.

Personally, I'd do... what... you want to do the most after driving these 3 cars .
Old 08-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, great responses, I REALLY appreciate your feedback, very helpful! I don't know what a DSC box is, so I'll do some research. After just thinking about this for these two days, I'm leaning towards just keeping my 997TT and doing the mods. I'm also thinking of a nicer steering wheel and a short-shift kit.

I think you are right, the 997TT will hold its value, whereas any version of the 991TTS I buy now will immediately depreciate. So if I end up not being completely satisfied with the mods I'm thinking of doing, I can always sell the 997TT in the future and still get a 991TTS.

And I do like the idea of an old-school Porsche feel a bit better than having the the latest and greatest modern car feel, especially because of the lack of a 6-speed manual.

I'll definitely keep you posted on my decision, and will include before and after photos if I do choose to just mod the 997TT.

Thanks again for all of your input, it really does provide a lot of good information and makes some points I haven't considered.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I don't know what a DSC box is, so I'll do some research.

This is just one thread about it. I noticed the same improvements when I installed mine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-customer.html

And this was the response from TPC vis PM when I inquired about buying one.

"Thank you for your inquiry.
DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock.
We only sell DSC units with the newest updates since we are the developer.
Let me know if you have more questions. ".
Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Had a 997.2 TTS and bought a 991 (well a GT3 not the TTS) and I’ll say this, as much as you like your current 997.1TT, you will likely love the 991.1/.2 TTS even more. The 991 just does everything better. If nostalgia is what you’re after, stick with the 997, till this day I love the classic lines, smaller size and interior which harks back to the 964 era. Keeping the 997 is a nice option, but if you decide to keep the 997, don’t mod it too much as it’s appeal partially lies in its ‘flaws’. Me, I’d get the 991TTS and enjoy it! Good luck, been there...

Last edited by Akunob; 08-21-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:53 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

My advice would be to keep the 997TT for raw manual enjoyment and add a pdk gt3 or rs in a few years. Seems like they are making a lot of gt cars these days (I would guess many more than turbos?) so you should be able to pick one up relatively cheaply.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Very cool about the DSC, thanks for providing that link!

And yes, I haven't even considered that option, picking up a PDK GT3 down the road!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:22 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
put the 09 in your garage, cover it, and store it for 1 month.

When you drive a car everyday, you sometimes forget how special the car is, and then you think about crazy things.

Thats why I do.
That has kinda become my usage pattern the last couple of years, and I agree it DOES make each drive more special and engaging. I only drive this car for fun and often with no particular destination, just a loop.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
Needless to say, I love my Turbo - 6 speed manual, Sport Chrono, PCCBs, adaptive sport seats, just perfect. Well, the Bose audio system really sucks. I love the car today as much as the first day I
So now I'm really starting to think - why don't I just keep my 997.1TT and do some nice upgrades? I'm thinking a tune (just software, no engine mods), suspension upgrade, new exhaust, forged wheels, and a killer audio system.
Andy
I would do this - lots of how to threads you can read over fall and winter. Park your car next to a 991 turbo. I'm sure it drives really nice. But I think you've got one of the best models and with a few tasty mods it will be like a new car.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:24 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

As far as stereo upgrades go, I’d contact car audio inovations. CAI. in California. Rod the owner there is great to work with.
I had a aftermarket head unit on my car when I purchased it, but using the stock amp you loose all fade control etc. drove me nuts. CAI put together a amp and all required wires etc bundled together and I did the install myself. Sounds 100% better. I may upgrade the speakers one day down the road but the stock bose with a good head unit and amp sound great. Cost also a factor!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:25 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I would do this - lots of how to threads you can read over fall and winter. Park your car next to a 991 turbo. I'm sure it drives really nice. But I think you've got one of the best models and with a few tasty mods it will be like a new car.
I like this - exactly what I'm looking for, a few tasty mods to make my 9 year old car like a new car.

I was planning on contacting Audio Innovations in Roseville - my daughter actually lives in nearby Fair Oaks, so I get over there quite often.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Ditto, the equivelant 991 turbo (w pdk) would be over 200k, yours is at least a 80k car. That's a 120k delta, you could mod away and still have 100k in the bank, wife will think you're a financial genius..
Old 08-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Yep, wife is perfectly happy with me taking the mod route!

Being the impatient knucklehead that I am, I have a quote from Sharkwerks in Fremont, CA, that I'm happy with, so I'm going to embark on this project.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the suggestions, your comments were very helpful and I'm very happy with my decision.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Let us know what you have done and how it changes the feel of the car from stock.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:35 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

I will definitely keep you posted. This project will probably take a couple of months - the wheels, for one, take six weeks or so from order to delivery. Once all the parts are available, Sharkwerks indicated the car will likely be in the shop for a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Mod my 997TT or buy a 991TTS?