997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TopSpeed Motorsports / Cobb Tune

Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Frankly I chose this route for my car for two primary reasons: 1. I just can't seem to leave my cars completely stock - its an illness. 2. Complete trust in the guys at TopSpeed, and this is the tool they have chosen to tune these cars. Pro's, I think are pretty logical and self explanatory. Cons: minimized since you can pull the tune out of the car in just a few minutes if you need to for service work etc. Picking up 90/90 to the wheels makes a huge difference, and the car shifts better with the PDK tune. Its insane how much you can gain for so little $$ with these cars.
I'm sure there will be other opinions on keeping cars completely stock etc. I understand that, but if you can stop at this tune and do not go deeper into the turbo's etc for even more power, its easy to return these cars to stock.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:29 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

572 H.P. to the wheels with EP and a tune...those are some BIG numbers. Was that on a 4 wheel drive DynoJet dyno? I see you have the S, which makes a difference for sure, I think those are rated at 500 crank H.P., correct? Regrading your EP, was it a stage 1 or stage 2? I just ordered the stage 2...from all the exhaust videos I have viewed the EP2 were by far my fave. And I will also chime in, your white S car looks gorgeous.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 09-28-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:56 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
Frankly I chose this route for my car for two primary reasons: 1. I just can't seem to leave my cars completely stock - its an illness. 2. Complete trust in the guys at TopSpeed, and this is the tool they have chosen to tune these cars. Pro's, I think are pretty logical and self explanatory. Cons: minimized since you can pull the tune out of the car in just a few minutes if you need to for service work etc. Picking up 90/90 to the wheels makes a huge difference, and the car shifts better with the PDK tune. Its insane how much you can gain for so little $$ with these cars.
I'm sure there will be other opinions on keeping cars completely stock etc. I understand that, but if you can stop at this tune and do not go deeper into the turbo's etc for even more power, its easy to return these cars to stock.
I completely concur about modifying your car to suit your self and the 997.1 TT is a superb platform...I just bought mine 5 weeks ago but just finished procuring all the parts for a pretty big upgrade that AutoQuest Motorsports in Fort Myers is doing for me starting Oct. 11th. I plan to keep ALL OEM parts labeled and boxed and put in storage in my garage for future resell purposes. Here is my list of parts: HRE P101 wheels, Michelin Cup 2 tires, H&R springs, 993RS motor mounts, track/street alignment, Sachs Engineering Racing clutch, Kline headers, EuroPipe Stage 2 exhaust, By Design Intercoolers, AP Turbo inlet tube/air box, By Design 68mm VTG Turbos, Fabspeed carbon fiber competition air intake, ID 1300cc injectors, IPD Y pipe, IPD 82mm plenum, GT3 82mm throttle body, and a tune by Sam at By Design using the Cobb OBD accessport. In addition I bought the lower paintable factory body kit including the factory Aerokit front spoiler/lip. My Tuner (Sam at By Design) and AutoQuest Motorsports (John Gaydos) tell me with these mods the engine is a 750 WHP/high 800 crank engine with an aggressive e85 tune, but as I said I want it tuned conservatively they suggest a tune that will be ~700 HP at the crank on 93 Octane and "only" 750 HP on the e85 tune. So that is what we have settled on. I am shipping the car Oct. 11th and should have her back by October 26th. I am super excited.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:27 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Sorry to be so tardy on a few responses! Slipped getting on my buddies boat a few days ago with my work backpack on and I have learned what its like to live without a phone or computer.... neither one reacted well to being submerged in lake water.... In terms the exhaust, my car is a .2, and they only make one version of the EP. Good luck on your project, your jumping into the deep end quickly!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Phil....We need to link up soon. I just got back from the Atlanta Streetcar Takeover event in Commerce GA. Made my first two passes with my car (Stock with only the Europipe).

I ran my best of 10.96 @ 124.10. I'll post vid below.

I think I might have to go see the guys at Top Speed for the same tuning. That extra 90 / 90 would get me into the mid 10's. I've been trying to resist modding it but with as safe as these tunes seem to be with just an Exhaust, I think it'll be worth it.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Top Speed folks, I sent you a PM.

Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TopSpeed Motorsports / Cobb Tune