Sponsored by:

Steel brakes to PCCB brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:31 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Steel brakes to PCCB brakes

As the title explains, How easy is it and can somebody list what parts are needed? I am going to start to look for used parts.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:35 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Do you have your heart set on Porsche OEM? I'd consider going to John @ AutoQuest for a quote to go to ST 380mm/362mm rotors. You can use spacers (which they can supply) and factory steel calipers. You'll get much more life out of them and spend less. Win.

Last edited by nzskater; 08-06-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 PM
JSorkin25
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed.... would love the yellow pop on my slate gray metallic, and the benefits of less brake dust, but fear the litany of parts that would need to be compiled
Old 08-07-2018, 03:50 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Do you have your heart set on Porsche OEM? I'd consider going to John @ AutoQuest for a quote to go to ST 380mm/362mm rotors. You can use spacers (which they can supply) and factory steel calipers. You'll get much more life out of them and spend less. Win.
i would like the porsche OEM. I know, this is more of a cosmetic thing than really what the car needs but If I can get used ones for cheap, its worth the bling bling.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

Have you tried any of the well-known Porsche salvage yards like Oklahoma Foreign or LA Dismantler?

Here are some examples:

PCCB calipers (price listed at $4,600): http://www.ladismantler.com/porsche-...mbo-turbo-gt2/

PCCB rotors (no price listed): http://www.ladismantler.com/porsche-...ront-rear-oem/

Old 08-07-2018, 03:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

LAD generally want a pretty penny, for basically junk yard parts. Id either do brand new oem or the aoutoquest versions, which are renewable. their whole kit is about 14k delivered, oem around 20k.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:55 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

For what it's worth, Ive got PCCB's and there is no way I'd drop $20K on them as an afterthought

As great as they are.. they are not THAT great
Old 08-07-2018, 05:09 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

If you're going OEM at least consider going OEM calipers and ST rotors from AutoQuest, that way you'll get the look you're after but not be stung by the Porsche tax and poor life of the OEM rotors.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

You could just paint your red calipers yellow....
Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
As the title explains, How easy is it and can somebody list what parts are needed? I am going to start to look for used parts.
No real reason to go with PCCBs if you want ceramics, we convert to ceramic all the time with ST rotors and simply powdercoat the calipers yellow. Looks perfectly OEM but saves thousands of dollars and you get much better quality ceramic rotors than those from SGL that are used for the PCCBs. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you some photos of conversions we've done so you can see how it turned out. I also have sources for used PCCB components if you are deadset on that route haha.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
LAD generally want a pretty penny, for basically junk yard parts. Id either do brand new oem or the aoutoquest versions, which are renewable. their whole kit is about 14k delivered, oem around 20k.
I've never purchased anything from LAD, I was just throwing it out there as an option. They do seem pretty expensive for used parts....
Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
No real reason to go with PCCBs if you want ceramics, we convert to ceramic all the time with ST rotors and simply powdercoat the calipers yellow. Looks perfectly OEM but saves thousands of dollars and you get much better quality ceramic rotors than those from SGL that are used for the PCCBs. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you some photos of conversions we've done so you can see how it turned out. I also have sources for used PCCB components if you are deadset on that route haha.
Can you refurbish PCCBs?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:11 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

wow - just looked at suncoast - PCCB rotors alone are $22,000!

I would buy calipers used - they pop on here from time to time and then get the ST carbons.
There are also some companies selling carbon rotors than can be refurbished.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

See attached Porsche TSB for PCCB retrofit
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Ceramic Brakes 997 turbo.pdf (911.9 KB, 218 views)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:10 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead

Can you refurbish PCCBs?
Originally Posted by JG 996T
wow - just looked at suncoast - PCCB rotors alone are $22,000!

I would buy calipers used - they pop on here from time to time and then get the ST carbons.
There are also some companies selling carbon rotors than can be refurbished.
JG 996T for most models of Porsches that ST's are offered for, there is no need to get PCCB calipers to use ceramics as the red and yellow calipers are the same simply spaced differently to accept the larger rotor. All you have to do is space the red calipers out with an ST hardware kit and you can run our ceramics with no additional investment in calipers. Those that want yellow calipers simply have the red calipers disassembled and recoated yellow.

For everyone's reference...no conventionally made ceramic rotors (including PCCBs) can be safely refurbished because of one crucial point....oxidized carbon cannot be added back into the rotor to replenish it's structural integrity, the technology does not exist. The following is why this is a problem.

Conventional ceramics wear in two different ways that warrant replacement. First and the most obvious is visual wear of the surface layer. The second and most important is the oxidation of carbon that causes wear you cannot see throughout the entire rotor, and this affects the core structural integrity of the rotor. This is why PCCBs and all conventional ceramics must be weighed and/or measured at the dealership for their carbon density to ensure they are still within specification to use. By the time the surface layer has deteriorated enough to warrant a rotor replacement, the entire rotor has likely oxidized enough carbon to be due for replacement as well. As the technology does not exist to replenish carbon loss throughout a conventional ceramic rotor, this creates a major problem with refurbishment. Even though the surface of the rotor you receive back may look brand new, the core structural integrity is still just as deteriorated as it was before. This is why we do not offer or recommend any refurbishment of a conventional ceramic rotor.

In regards to ST ceramic rotors it is a different story. They are manufactured much differently than a conventional ceramic rotor over a three month process, in a way that limits oxidation to the face of the rotor. Lack of oxidation throughout the core of the rotor means that the structural integrity is maintained over it's lifespan, allowing ST to refurbish the surface layer multiple times and continue to use the rotor safely. The end of an ST rotor's life is determined solely on rotor thickness as multiple refurbishments will eventually take away enough rotor material to deem it ready for a replacement. Being safely refurbishable is just one of the many benefits of an ST rotor over the conventional ceramics, but is one of the most important variables to consider. Instead of throwing out and spending $20k-$30k (depending on the car) for a new set of PCCBs, ST's can be refurbished for about $600 a rotor and used again for the same lifespan, and then again, and again.

An educated decision is the best decision. If you want to learn more about the manufacturing of carbon ceramic rotors, the differences between them all, and what option is going to work best for you....please feel free to give us a call any time. We would be happy to spend the time necessary for you to make the right move to meet your goals

Quick Reply: Steel brakes to PCCB brakes