Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear deck wing really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Marv.Frazier
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 09 wing recently became uneven R to L. As much as I love the functionality of the wing I took it to a local custom P shop and they fixed the wing in a raised position approx 1.5in above the base setting. They removed the pump, drained the system to prevent future leaks and set the code to a fixed wing GT2 so i do not get any warnings. car looks good and I have some room to clean under the wing. Total cost ~$450.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Very very important above 100 mph on the track

For street driving no issue

go wingless
Old 08-06-2018, 05:19 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I believe when you switch to the carrera lid you still have a hydrolic system for the carrera wing, just trading one for the other I suppose.
fairly sure it’s an electric motor with a mechanical gearbox, no hydraulics.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 08-06-2018, 12:54 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by involutions
So, after reading about complaints of the looks when the wing extends at speed, and the cost of replacement of the hydraulic wing parts on the turbo rear deck, I'm wondering if this is really necessary (functionally speaking, under 150MPH). The carreras only have the small wing that lifts up a little. The turbos are over 100 pounds heavier than a carrera. So, why can't you just replace the turbo deck lid with a carrera deck lid?
Just get the ebwerks set up for your rear wing. It keeps the factory wing but its fixed and has twelve different height sittings

http://ebwerks.com/models-996997.html
Old 08-06-2018, 04:13 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by involutions
So, after reading about complaints of the looks when the wing extends at speed, and the cost of replacement of the hydraulic wing parts on the turbo rear deck, I'm wondering if this is really necessary (functionally speaking, under 150MPH). The carreras only have the small wing that lifts up a little. The turbos are over 100 pounds heavier than a carrera. So, why can't you just replace the turbo deck lid with a carrera deck lid?
I would be very hesitant to modify the factory aerodynamics on a car capable of nearly 200 mph. I know you say 150 mph, but I personally noticed a reduction in the effect of my steering input at 120 mph before I added spoilers to the rear and front of my SC. Maybe if one is limited to drives to Cars and Coffee, it's no issue, but I've found with 30 years of Porsche ownership their engineers do very little that is not for some functional reason. You can bet if the airfoil rises at 75 mph, somewhere there's an engineering calculation to support this speed, although I would be the first to say this is most likely over conservative. Unlike other manufacturers today that throw huge air inlets, quad exhausts, spoilers and fake red brake calipers on their 110 HP four cylinder for marketing reasons, Porsche does most of its designs due to need. The profile of the 911 has basically remained unchanged for over 50 years, and it basically looks like an airplane wing, flat underneath and sloped on the top so it's basic shape is going to create lift.

I think as the speeds of 911's continued to rise, just reducing lift using the spoiler was not enough and they had to go to the airfoil that rises at 75 mph. If you really look at the design of the top portion, the airfoil, it's an inverted airplane wing. Thick at the front, thin at the rear, flat on top and sloping underneath. I actually took the time to look at the shape of the raised portion (really bored one day). So instead of creating lift as is the case with an airplane, it produces downforce. Even the tips are turned downward on the Porsche airfoil, just like the tips of modern airplane wings are turned up to make the wing more efficient. The tips reduce the amount of air from vortices from spilling back over and hurting the lift; or for the Porsche, from reducing available downforce.

Nice view of the wing design here:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...lift&FORM=IGRE

You also might find this tech discussion interesting. It's an old discussion on even older Porsches, but I found the technical discussion and photos starting around post #13 pretty good. Again the basic shape is unchanged, meaning so are the physics that underly the design. On the older Porsches, we even got into discussion of the impact of the rear spoiler on engine temperature, back when they were air cooled. Not nearly the issue with the water cooled engines if at all.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...irst-then.html

These are definitely just my opinions, I'm an EE and by no means an aerodynamics engineer.

Last edited by autobonrun; 08-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
These are definitely just my opinions, I'm an EE and by no means an aerodynamics engineer.
Good stuff! A bit more about the turbo wing evolution HERE.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Interesting that cab wing extends higher to achieve same level of downforce.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:09 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
That's a good writeup; I learned something new. I never realized the 996TT wing extended 1" higher than the 997TT's wing or that the 997 wing is 23% larger and produced triple the downforce.

Also, I had not looked at that old Pelican writeup for about 8 years. I recalled that discussion so I attached it. It's striking how the bottom portion of the spoiler/airfoil setup on the 996/997 turbos is so similar to the duck tail of the earlier Porsches. They just added the airfoil for additional downforce.

I think what the OP would like is a 993 style operation for a TT, but I'm sure it's nowwhere as functional as the current TT design. It's functional while maintaing the classic 911 lines most of the time. On the other hand, the 993 doesn't have the same top end potential as a 997TT so it doesn't have to be as efficient.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0BE3&FORM=VIRE
Old 08-07-2018, 10:10 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Interesting that cab wing extends higher to achieve same level of downforce.
Agree. I never new that.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the aero kit factory wings. I believe the factory wing increased downforce by 120 lbs
Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I just like pushing the button on mine and watching it go up and down in the side mirrors.

It's a Turbo wing, and Turbo's need it, because it's a Turbo.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:26 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I think it’s all aesthetic in nature. Don’t believe that wing does anything up or down.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:22 AM
Ed99
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Curious to know if any other TT owners has removed the wing and replaced with a Duck tail? I also think the wing ruins the beautiful hips from the rear angle and the shape of the rear.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:33 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
Curious to know if any other TT owners has removed the wing and replaced with a Duck tail? I also think the wing ruins the beautiful hips from the rear angle and the shape of the rear.
http://mashaw.biz/Ducktail997Sport.asp

I like the ducktail on 997s. I think it flows well with the wide hips. Would I do it? Not for the look I’m going.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Is there a fixed wing kit out there, if the system failed and you just don't want to deal with it? Where it raises the wing a little like poster's above, and let it be once coded out.

Edit: I answered my own question, just buy Rennkit extenders:
https://rennkit.com/product-info/997turbo/

Last edited by Ruskiy; 06-24-2023 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (06-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear deck wing really necessary?