Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECENT FAULT CODES:P2097,P1095 advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 06:32 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECENT FAULT CODES:P2097,P1095 advice needed please!

A month ago with chill driving P2097 (Post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 1) came up on durametric. Cleared it and it came back 2 weeks later. A former certified PCAR tech who has a shop in Houston and powered up a 996TT for me back in 2008 suggested I :

First try swapping MAF from side to side and see if fault moves to bank 2.

If fault doesn't move , swap 02 from side to side. (I couldn't get to this part) because after swapping the MAF sensors from side to side I went to start the car and plug in durametric to clear the prior P2097 code and now a new code was present. I probably should have checked durametric prior to doing the swap because I don't know if this new code which shows twice was present prior to the swap or not? What came up was:

P2097

P1095 Air mass(HFM) ahead of throttle valve - implausible

The P1095 shows up twice one after the other. So I clear the codes to see what happens. One week later check eng light goes off again. The P1095 twice again one on top of the other so 2 lines but not the original P2097 bank 1 or 2.

It's pretty hot down in South TX now so not sure if the car is just running sluggish due to the heat or if something from these codes could be slowing it down. Did some reading and this new code P1095 seems common after a Throttle Body change with larger bore than stock if the car is not tuned for it, as well as leaks happening. But with me the P1095 didn't come up as far as I can tell until I swapped the sensors from left to right. Hard to know because I didn't do a read out prior to swapping.

Due to time the car is due for a serpentine belt and spark plugs so those will be done soon. Just wondering if anyone else has some good ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-03-2018, 06:57 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

OK. So I plugged in Durametric prior to heading to my shop and (P2099 Post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 2) showed up. So this must mean it's the MAF I swapped over. Good thing is the car got:

New Plugs/Coils, Serpentine belt, fuel filter, all 4 O2 sensors and both MAF's were cleaned. If the code comes back I think I will just need to install new MAF's. My car has 43k miles on the clock.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:17 AM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I am no help with the codes but if you are up in Houston again send me a PM so we can meet up and talk all things white 07 997TT!
Old 08-04-2018, 04:54 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by skyak
I am no help with the codes but if you are up in Houston again send me a PM so we can meet up and talk all things white 07 997TT!

OH MAN ! I see in your sig that you have a AEROKIT on the car. Rear wing and front spoiler yes? Would love to see photos. Don't see many of these on a 2007 car. Did it come with the car or did you add it?

I'll take you up on the invite and same goes for me if your ever in San Antonio.

Tom
Old 01-30-2019, 07:33 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
OK. So I plugged in Durametric prior to heading to my shop and (P2099 Post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 2) showed up. So this must mean it's the MAF I swapped over. Good thing is the car got:

New Plugs/Coils, Serpentine belt, fuel filter, all 4 O2 sensors and both MAF's were cleaned. If the code comes back I think I will just need to install new MAF's. My car has 43k miles on the clock.

So after the above parts were put on I bought some Porsche MAFS from Sonnen and put them on. That was in Sept and 1300 miles ago. Cleared P2099 back then and I was check engine code light free until yesterday where with very calm driving P2099 came back.

So the only items not Porsche were the spark plugs "Denso" and the O2 sensors which had a part number of 16826 for 2 and 17307 for 2.

At this point could it be a bad O2 sensor, cat, exhaust leak?

What would you do?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Are you running and exhaust? How many miles?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:22 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Brainz
Are you running and exhaust? How many miles?

Yes the car has an AWE 750R package from prior owner and it was all on the car prior to me buying it 3 years ago. AWE 200 cell cats and exhaust. I'm thinking it's around 10 years old. The car has 45k miles.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I would do the following:

1) Add a bottle of Techron to the fuel tank, clear code, and retest. This seems to work on my wife's Mercedes for about 10-20k miles.
2) Log your engine for misfires. Use Durametric or Cobb. Misfires create unburned fuel, which could cause that error. Misfires would likely indicate a plug or coil issue, despite being new.
3) Log your short and long term fuel trims for each bank. Are they close to zero? Are any of the trims out of spec? Post your results here and ask for feedback. Note that Cobb uses a different reporting scale than most other loggers.
4) If your trims look weird (or maybe even if they dont), do a boost test and make sure you don't have any leaks. Leaks could make your car run rich.
5) Retorque your exhaust bolts on bank 2 (the right side facing the rear of the car). Both header and turbo bolts. Clear code, and retest.
6) Swap the rear/post-cat O2 sensors. Clear code, retest. If the code changes to P2097, then the problem is the rear O2 sensor which is now on the left side of the car.
7) Swap the front/pre-cat O2 sensors. Clear code, retest. If the code changes to P2097, then the problem is the front O2 sensor which is now on the left side of the car.
8) If you get to this point and you're still having the P2099 error it looks like maybe your catalytic converter is bad. Consider adding another bottle of Techron, installing a rear O2 spacer or replacing the converter.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

You need to see what your engine is doing. If the timing map are two aggressive for your higher boost output the ECU will dump fuel. A boost leak will push your fueling into a seasaw rich lean condition on opposite banks.

He has brand new O2 sensors which should be reading at near 100%.

Your spark plugs "could be" the issue is they have over 12K on them..

I bet that you have a boost leak post throttle body.. Pump your intake to at least 15 and to your top boost readings.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin
You need to see what your engine is doing. If the timing map are two aggressive for your higher boost output the ECU will dump fuel. A boost leak will push your fueling into a seasaw rich lean condition on opposite banks.

He has brand new O2 sensors which should be reading at near 100%.

Your spark plugs "could be" the issue is they have over 12K on them..

I bet that you have a boost leak post throttle body.. Pump your intake to at least 15 and to your top boost readings.
Thanks Kevin. I also have new spark plugs, coils etc... all with 1300 miles and 4 months old.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:35 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

The new MAF sensors did fix you p1095 problem, correct?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:44 PM
monty007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

p1095

Has always been a boost leak for my car. Each time it has been a leak from the upper intercooler hose to the y-pipe. I have dealt with this issue on my car a couple of times already.

If you can see the silver aluminum ring at the intercooler connection then it has come loose. I agree with Kevin, you must have a boost leak somewhere. Open your hood and shine a flashlight into the connections where the y-pipe passes through the firewall. If the connection is solid the hose should be flush with the intercooler and should look like this:

I would also check the lower hoses coming off the turbo into the intercooler. I had a problem where the rubber gasket was rolling and preventing a proper seating for the clamp to work.

Are you comfortable taking off the bumper to take a look? How is your battery? These cars do all sorts of weird things when the battery is low. P2099 is coming up as: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 2.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by ThunderRolls
The new MAF sensors did fix you p1095 problem, correct?

Correct no P1095 since new MAF sensors.

Quick Reply: RECENT FAULT CODES:P2097,P1095 advice needed please!