Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 997 Turbo Coil plug connector repair

Old 07-25-2018, 09:43 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts
Default DIY 997 Turbo Coil plug connector repair

In process of doing my spark plugs I ran into a snag from the last time someone had been in there. Whoever or whatever shop was in there had no business doing spark plugs what so ever. It was clear that they came from VW/Audi experience with trying to use a screw driver to free the plug off the coil. There were tons of scrape marks.

Here are some tricks to do the connectors and part numbers needed in order to fix.

First up was to pick up a support stand to be able to lower the motor to gain a few precious inches of clearance to be able to move the inlet ducts out of the way. Of course the wonderful paint on this support was in all the threads which required some chasing with a tap.
Name:  O569okV.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.00 MB

First thing was to disconnect the vacuum line off the inlet pipe and then the secondary air pump fitting
Name:  7pVVl9g.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.01 MB

With the extra space you can just reach the fitting to pop it off the inlet pipe way down in the back, granted I did this on a ladder, one handed while half way hanging off the ladder....
Name:  UzMeByp.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  967.4 KB

Ah yes so much room!
Name:  cDleolZ.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  961.3 KB

Number 3 Cylinder coil, which I took a picture of the wiring to ensure I wired the coil correctly after replacing the connector.
Name:  WHnfZrM.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  876.1 KB

Out with the old and in with the new. If anyone else runs into the issue attached is the repair part number for the connector. This is the same part number for 996 and 997 turbos.
Name:  etNn6A2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  695.1 KB
Name:  6qgIT1Q.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  1.23 MB
Name:  MrFyS3l.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  775.5 KB
Name:  gjmtEVD.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  653.6 KB

Then on to tackle #6
Name:  aV3mx8X.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  6FP6i9S.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  L3uYvXP.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  973.3 KB

Name:  bnovmlF.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  947.8 KB

Lessons learned with this is that even when something checks out PPI wise, nothing trumps spending some time getting under a cars skirt to check some of the work that has been done by others.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice work.

PPIs are great but dont show everything. A broken tab like that can be missed very easy.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:00 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Nice write-up. So you replaced the connector/housing on two coils - Not the coils.

Interesting its a 928 part no.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:08 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Good info, thanks for sharing. It does look like the shop who did the work certainly did mangle those connectors; yikes!

The tool to remove the pins on the connector, do you have a part # for that or is it just a standard Bosch tool?

Also, the bolts on your heat shields are not the factory ones, so the original shop must have lost them.. they should look like this:

Not that it matters too much, but I notice little things like that

Thanks again for the pics!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Nice work.

PPIs are great but dont show everything. A broken tab like that can be missed very easy.
Without a doubt small things can be missed like it. One of my Audi TT's had so many broken connectors it was aggravating at first, but spending the time to replace all the broken ones really changed the experience of working on the car.

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Nice write-up. So you replaced the connector/housing on two coils - Not the coils.

Interesting its a 928 part no.
I bought a whole bunch on ebay from https://www.ebay.com/usr/precisionraceservices who shipped them quickly.

Originally Posted by saabin
Good info, thanks for sharing. It does look like the shop who did the work certainly did mangle those connectors; yikes!

The tool to remove the pins on the connector, do you have a part # for that or is it just a standard Bosch tool?

Also, the bolts on your heat shields are not the factory ones, so the original shop must have lost them.. they should look like this:

Not that it matters too much, but I notice little things like that

Thanks again for the pics!
I'll dig up the part number for the tool, it came with one of the coil repair kits for VW's I had. There is one that is close in size but will not release the tangs on the connectors. You will get a firm click when it pops the ears back in. If you use the wrong size tool you can damage the connector ends/ears.

I'll have to chase down those bolts for when it is time to drop the motor to do the coolant fittings and cam pinning.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Nice write-up, but especially nice photos. Always kind of frustrating when you find a DIY and the photos are blurry and dark and you can barely tell what you're looking at.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan

I'll dig up the part number for the tool, it came with one of the coil repair kits for VW's I had. There is one that is close in size but will not release the tangs on the connectors. You will get a firm click when it pops the ears back in. If you use the wrong size tool you can damage the connector ends/ears.

I'll have to chase down those bolts for when it is time to drop the motor to do the coolant fittings and cam pinning.
The screws are part # 900-385-041-01. 34 cents each.

Yes please let me know the tool part no. when you get a chance.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

The backstory was high knock retard showing up on the datalogs. Deckman has some good fuel unlike our west coast garbage. The numbers were close to high altitude 91 octane.. Bad...
Can you post a picture of the plugs that were installed>>this is to show people how critical these components are.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:09 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
The backstory was high knock retard showing up on the datalogs. Deckman has some good fuel unlike our west coast garbage. The numbers were close to high altitude 91 octane.. Bad...
Can you post a picture of the plugs that were installed>>this is to show people how critical these components are.
Thanks Kevin for all the support! I dug around and looks like the plugs already were trashed. Prior to a tune without a doubt replacing the plugs and O2 sensors is always the best way to go. The car has 47k miles on it currently and was completely stock when bought from the prior owner.

As Kevin stated, prior to doing a tune we did a log on the car, the first numbers were eye opening that something was up. The initial run had these : cylinder 1 was -6.8, cylinder 2 -6.8, cylinder 3 -9., cylinder 4 -4.5, cylinder 5 -6.8, cylinder 6 -9. for timing retardation. I am shooting to perhaps take it out for a log today as the rain should finally clear enough to do some pulls.

It is interesting that the cylinders with most timing retardation were the ones with the broken connectors. Kevin, do you thing perhaps loose connection issue perhaps?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can’t tell from my phone, but couldn’t you just replace the coil?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Can’t tell from my phone, but couldn’t you just replace the coil?
Yes, but I think the clips on the connector itself were broken off, necessitating replacement.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

The retaining clip on the connectors were broken off, resulting in the need to replace them as they were no longer being held in place securely.

De-pinning tool set I picked up works great, a must have for modern cars when doing occasional connector repairs on fatigued connectors.

Steelman 95839 Connector Release Electrical Terminal Block

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelman-95...-/162240914286

Old 07-31-2018, 12:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

gotcha
Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
De-pinning tool set I picked up works great, a must have for modern cars when doing occasional connector repairs on fatigued connectors.Steelman 95839 Connector Release Electrical Terminal Block

Nice write up!

I hate trying to release connector pins without knowing the right tool/trick in advance, especially when you have limited access... That set looks great! I have quite a few release tools but never seem to have the right one for the next job. That kit is on amazon as well, actually a few bucks cheaper.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-02-2018, 10:55 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz

Nice write up!

I hate trying to release connector pins without knowing the right tool/trick in advance, especially when you have limited access... That set looks great! I have quite a few release tools but never seem to have the right one for the next job. That kit is on amazon as well, actually a few bucks cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-9583.../dp/B00LB7PMAE
They are well worth the buy, I have a couple smaller sets, some of them work better than others and having a couple spares in case you drop one and break the tangs off it makes life a lot less stressful. Pulling the wires out of the connector should take little to no force after sliding the depinning tool in and hearing that "click", if you do not hear it and the wires are not easily sliding out then the tangs have not been released.

Update on the timing pulling post getting the car back together, looks like it is still pulling timing but overall running much better. Per Kevin's great insight the next thing up is to run out this tank of "93" and put some 100 in to see if it is a fuel issue or hardware issue that is still causing the timing to be pulled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY 997 Turbo Coil plug connector repair