2011 TTS Accelerating Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 2011 TTS Accelerating Hesitation

Perhaps you guys can help me out.

Just picked up a 2011 TTS. i have a catless exhaust on now straight pipes essentially. When i accelerate slowly between 2800 and 3500 rpms the car looses a little power in that range. i also feel like it makes an odd sound. then the power comes back on again. its like this slight hesitation. and only when im very mildly accelerating. If i give it more gas this doesn't happen. i know enough about cars that this isn't happening due to the car building boost, as im barely accelerating. so its not turbo lag or anything like that. im curious if the car is behaving differently because i altered the back pressure with the new exhaust. anyways id like to get this sorted and any advice and info is greatly appreciated

thanks

Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Just to clarify, it was NOT doing this before the exhaust change, correct?

Ed
Old 07-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lliejk
Just to clarify, it was NOT doing this before the exhaust change, correct?

Ed

I drove straight from picking up the car for the first time to my guys shop where i had a bunch of things done, exhaust, powder coat wheels, tints, ceramic pro, ect ect. so i drive it 50 miles the day i got it, and then it spent 2 weeks in the shop. also had an oil change and a brake fluid flush done at that time. So, no, i didn't notice it on my first drive, and now i do, but i also was on the highway, accelerating more, its possible it wasn't there, its possible i didn't notice, it was one hour of driving before the change.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you install a tune? If so, this is a classic (new) burp in that rpm range. The fix is generally one stage colder spark plugs.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.Forever
Did you install a tune? If so, this is a classic (new) burp in that rpm range. The fix is generally one stage colder spark plugs.
No tune yet, and the previous owner said the car was not tuned, it only has 6600 miles.
I was thinking now with the exhaust change a tune could fix this but i want to learn and understand and spend the money on the right things to fix it.
could it be this spark plug issue even though the car is not tuned?

thanks for getting back to me
Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I highly doubt it's your exhaust change. MANY people change their exhausts without a tune and this is not a common problem associated with that. Plus, the turbos provide all the back pressure needed just by themselves. Could certainly be plugs or coil packs. You will want to have the DME scanned for any codes that may be present ie misfire, that don't necessarily trip the CEL light.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstyles
I highly doubt it's your exhaust change. MANY people change their exhausts without a tune and this is not a common problem associated with that. Plus, the turbos provide all the back pressure needed just by themselves. Could certainly be plugs or coil packs. You will want to have the DME scanned for any codes that may be present ie misfire, that don't necessarily trip the CEL light.
scanned the other day, no codes

thanks for replying, hopefully others will read and i can get this narrowed down, or find someone whos experienced this before and knows the solution

thanks again

Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Coilpacks?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Coilpacks?
I don't think so. But next step if no good info comes from here is stop by my mechanic

Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:14 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Only green ones do this I'm told
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Seriously tho... So I am brand new to the PDK, but was down at the Porsche HQ last week to take a lesson on driving the Turbo AWD cars and spoke to the instructor and an engineer about a slight hesitation I thought I had felt at really low loads, and they both told me the PDK is made to "slip" a little bit under some conditions. Usually under really light loads if you get on and off the gas a bit. I noticed it when my wife was driving the car for the first time and was a bit nervous (so got right out of the gas when she felt the turbo's kick in) Yours sounds like its more pronounced and lasts much longer than mine but wanted to toss it out there for discussion. I'm in the same boat as you with a new car and a few weeks off the road getting it pulled together. Should be ready on Friday and I'm excited to get it out on the road. My car was bone stock and 7200 miles.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
Seriously tho... So I am brand new to the PDK, but was down at the Porsche HQ last week to take a lesson on driving the Turbo AWD cars and spoke to the instructor and an engineer about a slight hesitation I thought I had felt at really low loads, and they both told me the PDK is made to "slip" a little bit under some conditions. Usually under really light loads if you get on and off the gas a bit. I noticed it when my wife was driving the car for the first time and was a bit nervous (so got right out of the gas when she felt the turbo's kick in) Yours sounds like its more pronounced and lasts much longer than mine but wanted to toss it out there for discussion. I'm in the same boat as you with a new car and a few weeks off the road getting it pulled together. Should be ready on Friday and I'm excited to get it out on the road. My car was bone stock and 7200 miles.
A known issue on the PDK 991.1 non turbo(s) at 1800-2100 rpms but didn't know the issue morphed to the turbos...
Old 07-18-2018, 06:33 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

The place you took it to went on a rough joy ride and damaged something?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Only green ones do this I'm told
lol........guess ill sell it and get another color to correct the issue
Old 07-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

thank you! best case the car is normal and im oversensitive, that's ok with me, as long as its not a warning sign for a ticking time bomb

Quick Reply: 2011 TTS Accelerating Hesitation