Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 PM
SteveS83
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting, I've always brought rotors to get machined slightly to allow new pads to seat well. Not sure where I read that from. But that's good to know - thanks!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:24 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveS83
If keeping the rotors, is it necessary to have them turned for a clean surface or is that a no-no for drilled rotors?
I skim my rotors when changing pads, in that the OPC in my city does it for me. Means a better seated pad and better braking. Change rotors every second pad change, depending on wear (but find this is usually the ideal time to change them out).
Old 08-18-2018, 12:49 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Talk to Clark at apex
Old 08-18-2018, 05:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Technically you’re not supposed to turn drilled rotors as the bit can catch. But, it can be done.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Hey Fellas,

Feel like it's been a while since I posted. Anyways. Thinking of changing up my front pads to either ferodo ds2500 or Pagid... pads are for street and spirited driving use. Curious if anyone has any specific recommendations. Obviously want something with great grip, limited fade, limited brake dust, and doesn't destroy the rotors. Probably due for new rotors after 44k miles.

Thanks in advance for recommendations!

Also been trying to put together a list of what I need for the change
- Pad spreaders
- Pads
- Discs
- Sensors
- tire mounting pin
- spring depress clip? Came across this link with an option that seems to work http://pkvista.com/TraqJunk/Index.html

However would be my first time replacing front brakes on this as i've only done the rears before. They weren't too bad. Not sure if i should get entirely new hardware all throughout.
Good advice above regarding pad choice.
If you must "upgrade" I use Hawk DTC70's (I think) but they occasionally squeal when cold and make lottsa dust.
No need for pad spreaders IMO, I think they are only useful when the caliper is off the rotor????? and then it's easy to just squeeze the pads with pliers, but i might be wrong......
Replace the mounting hardware and brake wear sensors (and the rotor fixing screw(s)) when you replace pads.
I just use my thumb and tap out the pin with a small hammer when depressing the clip spring
you CAN re-use the spyders, just clean the adhesive side and reglue with a tacky gasket sealer, or you can but new for ~ $18 each X 32 or so,

good luck

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Replacement