Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic vs Manual in Turbo?

Old 06-23-2018, 10:25 AM
beatboy77
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic vs Manual in Turbo?

Hello. Considering buying a 2008 or 2009 997 Turbo. For an a 2008 or 2009, what are the opinions of the Manual vs the Tiptronic? I have been reading online the Tip is well liked with the Turbo. They match well. Just wondering your opinions?

Thank You!

Josh
Old 06-23-2018, 12:12 PM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you're asking in terms of drivability -- I cannot answer as I've never driven a tip. That aside, I'm sure you know that there's a price difference too (at least a $10-15k premium for manual assuming that the two examples are otherwise identical).

From my research, most people say they would not even consider buying a tip (they'd either get a manual or open up their search to include the 997.2 PDKs). Then there were some who were content with their Tips because they do mostly in-city driving and it was easier for their commutes. But the general opinion was far from "well liked".
Old 06-23-2018, 12:29 PM
beatboy77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loonwin
I assume you're asking in terms of drivability -- I cannot answer as I've never driven a tip. That aside, I'm sure you know that there's a price difference too (at least a $10-15k premium for manual assuming that the two examples are otherwise identical).

From my research, most people say they would not even consider buying a tip (they'd either get a manual or open up their search to include the 997.2 PDKs). Then there were some who were content with their Tips because they do mostly in-city driving and it was easier for their commutes. But the general opinion was far from "well liked".
Thank You for the feedback. Yes, on several different forums the praise for the Tip and the 997 Turbo has been strong. I believe I read the Turbo with Tip was the first one faster than a manual? The theme of what I am reading is the Turbo and Tip mate well together. The Tip and 997 911 S, not so much. I unfortunately do not have a budget for a Turbo PDK

Josh
Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I think I understand your question. I have a manual 997.1 TT, and haven't driven the tip. This said, as a heavier feeling GT car, I personally think the tip is likely an extremely well valued all arounder at current prices. Especially if the car will see miles. I drive mine recreationally and strongly prefer the engagement of a manual for my needs. If I were to buy a turbo for even semi- daily driving, a tip would be awesome. The tiptronic gets criticized in comparison to PDK, but reliability of the tip is very good. I believe the Tiptronic is a Mercedes Benz sourced unit and mates well to the power of the TT Mezger.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing like a stick, don't care what anyone says.. Yes, PDK better that Tip, but nothing like a Manual... Prices will reflect that, especially searching for a 997TT...
Old 06-23-2018, 03:42 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

I had a 2008 manual trans turbo that I bought new in 2008. I put 48000 miles on it in 3 years. Drove it daily in LA freeway traffic, rain or shine. Loved it. Only issue, the rpm's come up quickly and 1st gear is not the place to be when you mash the throttle.
I now have a 997.2 Turbo with the PDK. To me, it seems that the newer turbos with more power are better suited toward a PDK.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

If you love driving manual cars, and believe that it is required to make you feel engaged in the driving experience, then you probably wouldn't have asked the question. Lots of people will tell you to get a manual, but that's what is right for them, not you.

The Tip is "faster" than a manual, I believe the main difference is that it holds boost through the gear shifts whereas a manual does not, someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Overall it's an excellent car as a tip, and the gearbox is strong and reliable. It makes first gear useable and means that you're not getting a workout driving in traffic. But it's also just as useable on track or an empty B road, and IMO doesn't detract from the driving experience at all. I personally don't get the manual vs auto argument in a car like this, regardless of it being an older torque converter or PDK based car, they're so drivable either way. The Tips gear shifts are slightly slower and they don't happen in the split second you press the button, but you learn to use it quickly.

They're also significantly cheaper if that's a deciding factor for you.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:48 PM
beatboy77
Rennlist Member

Thank You All for the feedback

Josh
Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

If you want a tip, buy it. I bought a Tip and liked it. It was in a 997 C2S. Imagine if it was in a turbo. That was my first Pcar. That car flies. If the prices goes down further, ill add one. I drive highway most of the time and that would suite it for me.

I almost bought a Turbo Cab Tip Speed yellow but the price was outrageous so it did not happen.

I would agree, for HP like 400 and above, a Tip or a PDK has its benefits. It shifts quicker and better than a MT. You feel you are able to use all the power with no sweat.

Most people who buy Tips are conscious buyers. They know what they face and what they want.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:00 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve had only manuals in most my vehicles. My 993 was a manual. My 997tt is a tip and I love it. I don’t miss the manual at all and I think the tip gets a bad rap. It’s not your run of the mill auto trans. I think it works very well with the turbo.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:19 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

997TT Tip is good as long as you don't use the buttons on steering for gear changing. The transmission itself in sport mode adapts driving style very well and changing gear with good speed both up/down shift. Again, the only undesired feature of Tip 997TT is when you trying to simulate manual thru the poorly design buttons, which is extremely unresponsive.

Given 997TT manual priced in too much premium, which makes Tip a bargain. Find a low mileage one, it's a great car.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:34 AM
milazzo_997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm also firmly in the pro-tiptronic camp. I owned a Tip 997TT for two years and loved the car. No, the buttons aren't great to manually shift and it's definitely not the same level of engagement as a manual but it's a solid transmission and is a hell of a lot of car for the money. I've since moved on to a 997 gt3 so I also get the argument about driver engagement but there are still many instances where I miss my Tip TT. Pick any variant of 997TT and you can't go wrong. Tip is the bargain of the century right now and there are many to chose from so focus more on finding the best example you can afford.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:19 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

While I'm a 3-pedal guy and have little-to-no interest in an automatic for my fun cars, I will say that I found the stock 997 clutch feel to be the worst I've ever experienced in a sports car. Soft, high, and therefore unpredictable. To be sure, others love it, but I hate it. Very much prefer the heavier GT-style clutch feel. I swapped out the clutch slave and spring and now love it, $2K later! So maybe something to consider - perhaps the tip is better suited?

Just food for thought: rather than make compromises to get the TT, why not get an S or 4S? You could probably even start to find a 997 GTS. All are great cars and plenty fast.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:51 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

My personal order of preference based upon having owned and driven all three.
1. Manual
2. PDK
3. Tip
Old 06-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

This will be debated for the next 20 years, or till the current generation down on the Tip also gets their two hips replaced. And is looking for a cheap alternative to manual or PDK. Whichever comes first, as in my case with the hips.

Have driven a few hundred miles with a PDK, was awesome, better than my Tip.

Was doing heel and toe in a '59 MG almost 60 years ago, so appreciate the manual. Just was not an option when I ordered the TT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tiptronic vs Manual in Turbo?