Sponsored by:

Best Intercooler Upgrade for 997.2 TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:36 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
It would be neat to see someone design a water cooling system like the new GT-2RS for the stock oem ones.
I am toying with building a system right now; possibly using one or two small low amp marine diaphragm water pumps and attaching some sort of high pressure mister to spray on the intercoolers. Haven't quite thought out what type of control unit it would use to decide when and for how long to initiate the spray, but it seems a heat (IC water?) sensor and water tank level sensor with a switch to the pump would be pretty easy to build a stand alone control unit. I don't actually know how Porsche does it on the GT2RS, I have just heard that they "spray the IC's with water".
Old 11-25-2018, 07:40 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.Forever
Hey Big Swole, I was referring to the simple basics: exhaust and a tune. If your gig is to track or strip the car then fine, research all the power adder upgrades if this is your hobby. If your gig is superficial, then a body kit or parts thereof might work and might even include some interior mods. For a daily driver or weekend driver, much beyond the low dollar performance upgrades is arguably moot, and there is a law of diminishing returns. If you are looking for a hot rod, there are numerous other options that don't denigrate the value of your 997. Each to their own, and I do recognize this is the 997 TT Technical forum where we leave no stone unturned. We all glean a ton of invaluable technical information from these dialogues which is the result of years of testing, experiences and unfettered sharing. The value herein is obvious. No insult to anyone here intended.
Just MHO...

Thank you Sir for the detailed post.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:10 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The tank is located in the Frunk. It is a 5 litre tank that you get a warning light on when it needs refilling. It reduces the IAT by 15 degrees. This needs to be an RO water system at least.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:12 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I am toying with building a system right now; possibly using one or two small low amp marine diaphragm water pumps and attaching some sort of high pressure mister to spray on the intercoolers. Haven't quite thought out what type of control unit it would use to decide when and for how long to initiate the spray, but it seems a heat (IC water?) sensor and water tank level sensor with a switch to the pump would be pretty easy to build a stand alone control unit. I don't actually know how Porsche does it on the GT2RS, I have just heard that they "spray the IC's with water".
My understanding is it sprays anytime above .8 Bar.

There are some photos on the 991GT3/911R forum from a vendor that shows some of the IC bits with the bumper removed.. I looked again today but I cant seem to find it..
Old 11-25-2018, 09:43 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the parts breakdown from Porsche and it is not listed that I can find. The Tank is not even showing up yet.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 PM
vroomevo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Mitsubishi evo 8 had IC sprayer, it operated either manual where I can spray whenever I want to or above certain boost, it would automatically spray. It was cool feature. Some people modified the sprayer where they were spray over oil cooler as well. This IC sprayer has been out there for many yrs.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:18 AM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Adding an IC water sprayer seems like a much less expensive alternative, equally effective and easier install than upgrading the ICs. There must be downsides for this option, what are they?
Old 09-28-2019, 04:10 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

I did it on my car, using Aquamist's pump, valve 10l tank and nozzles (2/IC). Standalone controller, basic parameters are rpm vs boost, IAT as threshold. Seems to drop IAT over 25C, but I have a slight problem in directing enough air to ICs, so in OEM turbos temp drop may be less. Aquamist's parts produce very fine mist, which spreads well over cores. I may be able to reduce the amount of water, tuning is still in progress. At track fuel and water tanks run down hand in hand.
Downside? Additional weight and need to fill both tanks at gas station. 🤣

One more thing, while the fuel cooler is unused on my engine, I direct IC cooling water through it.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:13 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Any pictures? Which side of the ICs are you spraying?
Old 09-28-2019, 05:57 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Any pictures? Which side of the ICs are you spraying?
Few pics will soon be on my IG: fortistuning. Nozzles are on upper shroud, one on it's forward wall pointing on 45 deg angle down and rear, other one on it's aft wall pointing more or less down. Reservoir and pump is behind RH seat (full cage), valve and controller beside Motronic. Water line goes through firewall on right to former fuel cooler and then splits into two... Nozzles are on upper shroud, one on it's forward wall pointing on 45 deg angle down and rear, other one on it's aft wall pointing more or less down. Reservoir and pump is behind RH seat (full cage), valve and controller beside Motronic. Water line goes through firewall on right to former fuel cooler and then splits into two.

Last edited by pete95zhn; 09-29-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:28 PM
turbo'ed
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Bumping this since it's been a while.

Cobb doesn't recommend using a stg. 3 tune (which seems quite a bit more hp than the stg. 2) without aftermarket IC's.
Is this a marketing thing or since some here swear by the Stock 997.2TT IC's, can the stg. 3 tune be run for short burst / 1/4 mile passes with Stock IC's and not cause any heat issues?

Just got my Cobb AP and running the stg. 2 - 93 oct. tune. A custom tune will come next once I get some seat time with this thing. Also just bought the PDK tune but haven't loaded / driven it yet.

For my use, I just can see spending major IC money if I can get away with short burst / one pass at a time with my Stock IC's.

BTW, Thanks to everyone contributing to helping folks like me learn these cars!!!

David
Any updates? Specifically, use of a stg 3 Cobb tune with exhausts, IPD, AND stock 997.2 ICs?
Old 09-29-2019, 08:54 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

A few weeks ago was at VMAX in UK with d088 big pack/GT2 VTGS (no meth) on same day as someone I know running 997 gen 2 coolers, meth and hybrid 997.1 VTGS. My IAT max on the day was 68c and ran 210mph (best with gen 2 coolers was 206mph historically). The other 997 ran 207mph which whilst amazing on smaller housing VTG even with meth his IATS got as high as 72c.

Do88 big pack certainly work - my best top speed with them at these events 215mph a full 11mph quicker than my best with gen 2 coolers! 997.1 turbo with marston aerospace coolers and exactly my upgrades other than coolers think his best has been 205mph at similar events
Old 09-29-2019, 11:35 AM
gbakerge
Racer

Wow, amazing speeds. I have 997.1 with stock coolers. Are the 997.2 coolers an upgrade to the 997.1 and if so, is it an easy swap out? Changing coolers, certainly seems more involved than either spraying the coolers or using an aqua mist system in the y pipe.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:06 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

the gen 2 intercoolers are definitely a worthwhile upgrade for mildly mapped cars - you have to mod the gen 1 plastic intercooler housing or alternatively use plastic clips - make sure you get real gen 2 intercoolers though rather than cheap chinese knock offs which there are tonnes of on flea bay. Even look identical but do not perform the same
Old 09-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo'ed
Any updates? Specifically, use of a stg 3 Cobb tune with exhausts, IPD, AND stock 997.2 ICs?

Just went to the track yesterday. I'll be updating my thread shortly.

Still only Europipe and Cobb Stg. 2 - 93 oct. tune. NO other mods.
Best yesterday with 3000 DA (Hot / Humid) was a 10.79 @ 127.2 MPH. Would have run quick on my next pass but was in the 11.00 Index class racing a brand new ZR1. We both broke out (Me on the brakes and scrubbed off 8 mph and still ran a 10.80 @ 120 mph.

Dragy showed very close numbers. Back in the cool weather spring I ran 132.6 MPH with the Dragy. Shows how much DA (heat / humidity) matters to power.

Pics and vids to come!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-black-12.html

Quick Reply: Best Intercooler Upgrade for 997.2 TT