Sponsored by:

New to me 2007 slate grey 997.1 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:40 AM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New to me 2007 slate grey 997.1 turbo

I grew up loving the heritage and styling of the 911. My favorite is the 930, 964, and 993 Turbo stying. But I couldn't justify spending money they have been bringing. But by no means was the option to buy a 997.1 was settling by any means. I loved this car when it was released. So after years of putting it off, I finally bought a 997.1 Turbo. I kept my wish list low to keep my possible options higher. There are not a ton of 997.1 turbos with a manual trans for sale at any given time. So why limit myself to things that I can add later or would change anyways? I knew I would modify the car so I just went looking for a manual trans, locking diff, and the Sports Chrono. Knowing I would modify the car a super low mileage car wasn't a must either. I plan to drive and use this car a lot. So no mint, low mileage, garage queen was needed. After many months of searching, I found a local car that worked out well for me. It was a 3 owner car that had 64K miles on it and has some issues here and there. It had good service records but had not had the 60K mile service done yet. The PPI showed the car was in great shape, the engine had some reports in rev range 1 & 2. But it but did have a leaking clutch slave cylinder. The passenger rear seat and trim was a little beat up. So knowing all that I was able to work out what I thought was a good deal on the car. I already picked up a set of rear seats out of an 1800 mile car for cheap. Now I need to hunt down a nice side panel and the interior would be a 9/10. A buddy will do a paint correcting to remove some swirl marks and apply a ceramic coating. Should have the car looking even better.

The car was a launch car. It has a few odds and ends that are not on the options list by the VIN search. Most notably the sport steering wheel with round airbag. I am not sure if that is common with that VIN option list results or if a few things made it on the car since it was a launch car? At least everything works and looks like it should be. It is stock other than an aftermarket radio, Passport 9500CI radar / laser jammer, and clear bra on the bumper, front half of the hood & fenders, and mirrors. I have put about 1200 miles on the car so far. It runs great and doesn't skip a beat. And oh boy do I enjoy driving the car! It brings a smile to my face every time I open the garage door and see it sitting there waiting for me. It really is a dream car I am lucky enough to own.

So on day 5 of ownership, I was on the phone with Sam @ By Design. Needless to say, since I had been wanting a car for years I knew pretty much what I wanted out of the car. Sam and I went over what I wanted and picked out a parts list and made a game plan. So the first round of parts was shipped out the next day. That included a Cobb tuner, ID 1300 injectors for E85, Sachs clutch kit, and a Klein exhaust. I snagged an unused BBI clutch slave cylinder conversion from a Rennlist member. I know a few people at AMS as they are local to me. So I headed over and grabbed their Alpha intercooler kit. Parts list complete and we are on our way!

Or so I thought. The next day I am talking to Sam and the next thing I know he is sending me a pair of his upgraded vgt turbos with the 68mm compressor wheels. So yes, this got out of hand real quick. haha I hope to keep the stock motor for a few years. So these turbos made sense. When the motor gets rods and what not, I can look at other turbo options then.

This forum has been a big help with research, fact-finding, and learning about these cars. I thank you guys for being a helpful community and I hope I can be helpful here are well as I share my build.

Thank you, Mike
Old 06-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I love slate grey, it really looks great on the TTs. Pretty spotless DME for those miles, too - guess the previous owners never really got on it.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome to the boost club.
These kind of cars needs owners with passion, and it seems you have found the perfect car.

Post questions if you have one, alot of good people here will help.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Hey Mike! Great write up and that you for the kind words it has been a pleasure bud. I know with Eric and I there was a bit of pier pressure haha. I can tell after years of consulting guys what will fit for you and what you would need to scratch that itch. Better once and done! It's gonna be awesome! nice to see the car finally too.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 06-06-2018, 04:29 PM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice -- the car looks really clean! Great pick-up.

Another Slate Grey owner Have you thought about wheels yet? I keep going back and forth on whether to go with black wheels for my winter setup. I'm pretty sold on the OZ Leggera HLTs, but not sure in race grey or black.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy
Old 06-06-2018, 04:54 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I love slate grey, it really looks great on the TTs. Pretty spotless DME for those miles, too - guess the previous owners never really got on it.
My first choice would have been white. But they seem to pull a pretty good premium. Grey was my next choice. The rev ranges, service records, and PPI made me very confident buying the car for sure. The car didn't see many miles per year until the last owner either. He was the one who ended up doing most of the maintenance on the car.

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Welcome to the boost club.
These kind of cars needs owners with passion, and it seems you have found the perfect car.

Post questions if you have one, alot of good people here will help.
I am very familiar with boost. I daily dive another German, twin turbo, 6 cylinder, a BMW 335i. I have owned a few supercharged and turbo cars over the years. Including a 1,000+hp street car. I love me some boost. The more the better actually! hahaha But this is my first real "sports car". It is a very different feel than the BMW, Mustangs, and other cars I have owned in the past. No doubt about that! I'm loving it even stock. Modded should only make it that much better.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey Mike! Great write up and that you for the kind words it has been a pleasure bud. I know with Eric and I there was a bit of pier pressure haha. I can tell after years of consulting guys what will fit for you and what you would need to scratch that itch. Better once and done! It's gonna be awesome! nice to see the car finally too.

Nah, no real peer pressure. It was inevitable that the car would get upgraded turbos. It just happened sooner than later. I have zero regrets getting them. I just can't wait to get started tuning it.

Originally Posted by loonwin
Nice -- the car looks really clean! Great pick-up.

Another Slate Grey owner Have you thought about wheels yet? I keep going back and forth on whether to go with black wheels for my winter setup. I'm pretty sold on the OZ Leggera HLTs, but not sure in race grey or black.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy
I have not thought about wheels yet. I looked at some of the photo threads to see if anything really stood out to me yet. I have plenty of things to buy yet. I am torn oh black wheels. The car is darker and black wheels tend to blend into the background. I am not sure if I would do black wheels or not on my car. So I have time to decide on wheels. If you have any pics of your favorite wheels on the grey feel free to post them up. ;D
Old 06-06-2018, 05:28 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I just put these Silver HRE P40S on my slate car, I'm digging the look so far - also like black wheels on slate though

Old 06-06-2018, 05:53 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

The HRE P40S look great for sure. Especially in that silver. It's not that I hate black wheels. It is actually great for hiding brake dust between washes. grrrrr But I think the black wheels get lost. You don't see the details of the wheels. Especially in bright light or in many pictures.

On my last car, I ran a forged wheel (not rotary forged either) that was pretty cheap. As far as a forged wheel goes. They were very light for a 20" wheel too, I may check to see what new offerings they have as well. The fronts wheels were 20" x 10" and were 22 pounds. The rear wheels were 20" x 11" and were 20 pounds.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:03 PM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pressure ratio
I have not thought about wheels yet. I looked at some of the photo threads to see if anything really stood out to me yet. I have plenty of things to buy yet. I am torn oh black wheels. The car is darker and black wheels tend to blend into the background. I am not sure if I would do black wheels or not on my car. So I have time to decide on wheels. If you have any pics of your favorite wheels on the grey feel free to post them up. ;D
I'm not sure who owns this car, but I'm really digging the look. This is what inspired me to look into the black wheels.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 PM
djillusion
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats the car. where in Chicago are you?

AMS is local to me too and they (Chris and the gang) added some similar goodies on my Turbo too.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Great Looking Ride. Congrats!!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 AM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Originally Posted by loonwin
I'm not sure who owns this car, but I'm really digging the look. This is what inspired me to look into the black wheels.

Ya, I have seen that series of pictures before. By no means does that suck! haha Sharp looking car for sure.

Originally Posted by djillusion
congrats the car. where in Chicago are you?

AMS is local to me too and they (Chris and the gang) added some similar goodies on my Turbo too.
I am in Glen Ellyn. Where are you from?

I know there have been some personnel changes over there recently. So I know fewer people there than in the past. But great to have a shop like them around and see the cars they build.

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Great Looking Ride. Congrats!!
Thank you!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:00 PM
djillusion
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in St. Charles. Very close to AMS which is quite nice!
Old 06-07-2018, 05:10 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^Here's an example with Slate Grey w/ satin black wheels
Old 06-08-2018, 04:16 AM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the slate fam. Here's mine with HRE P40s in gloss black.

Quick Reply: New to me 2007 slate grey 997.1 turbo