Sponsored by:

Hunting for the right 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5

hope you are correct but I seriously doubt it.
It would be a different topic but it maybe the right turbo(.1 vs .2) for some people.

I am not playing down the .2 TT but what exactly is the desirability of the .2 compared to the 07-09 997 TT, especially the 09?

Is it because it is the last manual? Maybe it was produced in low numbers? Because the last manual mezger is the 09. It is also rare. Atleast good samples.
The only major similarity of the two is it is in the 997 body.

For me the .1 is not thesame as the .2. We all know they have different engines. The .2 has better HP but that is relative.

And I am not chasing numbers, I am chasing the heritage. I read( somewhere), the mezger engine is the most WINNINEST engine is racing history

IMO, the best money for people is the 09. If you can get a manual on an 09 TT, you have the most desirable 997 TT.

The 09 TT atleast has clear connection to the past, the .2 does not. I currently own a TTS and owned a .2 PDK and they are magnificant porsches, but when porsche dumped the mezger for the 9A1 for reasons like emission etc, it broke the line from the racing heritage.

Which I dont blame them, there is a limit to what you can do for a design that has been present for 30-40 years.

That is my take on it.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I should have saved my spreadsheet when monitoring the market before I bought my 997TT. For a good condition 6spd under 30k miles, I found about 6 total over 24 months. None were priced below 80k. Excellent 6spd turbos were going for 85-95k. I resigned to buy an automatic, I drove a 06 C4S 6spd and stupidly did not buy it. I talked myself out of it due to IMS uncertainty. Back to waiting for a 997TT to show up for a steal. I got my 07 tip for 53k with 55k miles. It has all kinds of tech art goodies on it and came with tech art formula 20" wheels. The dealer sold low because the car had a coolant leak. NADA showed ~55k for the value of the car for clean retail. Private sales for clean 50k+ mileage 997 Turbo (tiptronic) range from 60-65k in great to excellent condition. I think that the 997TT prices have bottomed now and have found support for a while, manuals are creeping back up. At this point I'd say to get a sub 30k 6spd 997 turbo you need to open the wallet some more. 80k minimum to find what you are looking for, that and you'll be looking at the same 3-5 cars for a long while.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:18 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Lets put it another way, what would you buy,

an 09 or a 10-12 TT MT with the same options?

Something that has a racing link or something that is just the last manual for $20-30k more?

And if you are now going for the .2 TT, thats GT3 money already, which is again a Mezger.

My meager wallet would buy an 09TT for thesame options and same happy thoughts on every drive.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Nate2046
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

OP, I believe I started looking for a .1 TT around the same time as you, August of last year. I have nowhere near your patience, plus I didn’t have a car at all after moving back to the US. As itchy as I was to pull the trigger it still took me until November to make a deal on a car. I had to make some major concessions (color combination) and some more minor ones (no sport adaptives, no LSD, stock exhaust and wheels). That being said, I have no regrets whatsoever and have enjoyed the car tremendously over the last six months or so. If anything, it’s exceeded my expectations.

I still keep my eyes open for that ‘perfect’ car that might make me want to catch and release on this one but haven’t seen that deal out there yet. My advice would be to open up your criteria a little and get a car in your garage that you can start enjoying. Just my $.02. Best of luck in the search!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nate2046
OP, I believe I started looking for a .1 TT around the same time as you, August of last year. I have nowhere near your patience, plus I didn’t have a car at all after moving back to the US. As itchy as I was to pull the trigger it still took me until November to make a deal on a car. I had to make some major concessions (color combination) and some more minor ones (no sport adaptives, no LSD, stock exhaust and wheels). That being said, I have no regrets whatsoever and have enjoyed the car tremendously over the last six months or so. If anything, it’s exceeded my expectations.

I still keep my eyes open for that ‘perfect’ car that might make me want to catch and release on this one but haven’t seen that deal out there yet. My advice would be to open up your criteria a little and get a car in your garage that you can start enjoying. Just my $.02. Best of luck in the search!
Thats what I did in my search. And looks like, I am about to get my 3rd 997.1 TT. We will see.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

I still search for cars weekly, so I will keep my eye out for you. I started looking last May, and found about 90% of what I wanted in January. I wasn't looking super seriously back in May, but I was willing to buy if something came up. Since I was buying out of state also, I passed on some cars that just didnt pass the sniff test. Some guys that just couldn't find any of the paperwork (title etc) on their cars, some that just seemed downright strange or some I didnt like the spec on. I got 2/3 options I wanted which were PDK and Full Leather, I didnt get Sport Adaptive Seats though. I figured thats the easiest to add in later, so I would do the same if I were you and you could even get a set of buckets. I also got one repainted panel, which was repainted for a cosmetic reason because I looked at the rear of the panel and there was no damage (it was the original panel). I also got CPO which sweetened the deal.

In your case, Carbon interior and Sport Seats are going to be the hard to find options. I would avoid those, each of them can be added later.

I read on here over and over that my perfect car would eventually come up. Between January and now, 1 perfect car has come up. Happened to be a Gray over Brown 997.2 GTS which they were asking $78k for, which was more than $10k more than what I paid for my C2S. So I probably am better off enjoying this for a couple years, then getting a GT4 or GT3.

Best of luck again, and I will keep you posted if I find something.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
To OP.....on another subject.....are the girls really that pretty in Albany???

I think that's a pic of that actress chick in the movies " Hall Pass", "Bay Watch", the movie about the major earth quake in CA that has the "Rock" in it (Can't remember the name).
Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

OP... Not sure if he still has it or wants to part with it, but if you'd be interested in a 2007, 18K miles, Slate Grey, Carbon interior, 6MT, and I think Adaptive Seats, for mid 80's. PM me.
I'll see if he still has it.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Big Swole
OP... Not sure if he still has it or wants to part with it, but if you'd be interested in a 2007, 18K miles, Slate Grey, Carbon interior, 6MT, and I think Adaptive Seats, for mid 80's. PM me.
I'll see if he still has it.
Now that is a find right there. If i was on the market, ill pm Big Swole and send a bottle of wine with it.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

Now that is a find right there. If i was on the market, ill pm Big Swole and send a bottle of wine with it.

I almost bought the car before finding my TTS. I'll probably regret not buying it, but I LOVE my TTS.

I just left the guy a vmail to see if he still has it / wants to part with it. I'll post of if he does.

He's also a RL member but never advertised it.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loonwin
Bro -- $80k is the number you need to get to for 6MT and < 30k miles. And even at that you're going to need to find a hell of a deal. $83-85k is a more realistic budget.

I just paid $84k for 24k miles, 6MT. Missing adaptive seats, but I got PCCBs.

The only way you get one for $74k is to increase your mileage tolerance to between 30k-50k miles.
I've saved up $90K for a nice 2009 6MT Silver Turbo but there is nothing out there right now, after 2 years of searching I am thinking of purchasing a 2015 TTS in silver, I see nice ones in the $120K~$130K range.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:48 AM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
It would be a different topic but it maybe the right turbo(.1 vs .2) for some people.

I am not playing down the .2 TT but what exactly is the desirability of the .2 compared to the 07-09 997 TT, especially the 09?

Is it because it is the last manual? Maybe it was produced in low numbers? Because the last manual mezger is the 09. It is also rare. Atleast good samples.
The only major similarity of the two is it is in the 997 body.

For me the .1 is not thesame as the .2. We all know they have different engines. The .2 has better HP but that is relative.

And I am not chasing numbers, I am chasing the heritage. I read( somewhere), the mezger engine is the most WINNINEST engine is racing history

IMO, the best money for people is the 09. If you can get a manual on an 09 TT, you have the most desirable 997 TT.

The 09 TT atleast has clear connection to the past, the .2 does not. I currently own a TTS and owned a .2 PDK and they are magnificant porsches, but when porsche dumped the mezger for the 9A1 for reasons like emission etc, it broke the line from the racing heritage.

Which I dont blame them, there is a limit to what you can do for a design that has been present for 30-40 years.

That is my take on it.
Stock for stock (which will matter in terms of future resale and desirability), for me it was the suspension and the improved awd to a more rearward bias. The suspension imo in the .2 is so much more sorted, planted and well damped that the premium was worth it to me as I don’t plan to modify the suspension in any way other than the DSC module. After moving from a 991 TTS to my current 997, the 997.2 suspension almost feels like a one off where Porsche decided to make it more harder edged than the previous gens but then decided that it was too hard and went back to a softer approach with the 991. Regarding the engine, I don’t think anyone will care as much in the future as the 9A1 has already proven to be robust and is still being used, even in the GT2 RS. Having said that, I do agree that the .1 will have strong values too, I just don’t think it will pass the .2. And I can see both 997 gens passing the 991.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:07 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rambler_13

Stock for stock (which will matter in terms of future resale and desirability), for me it was the suspension and the improved awd to a more rearward bias. The suspension imo in the .2 is so much more sorted, planted and well damped that the premium was worth it to me as I don’t plan to modify the suspension in any way other than the DSC module. After moving from a 991 TTS to my current 997, the 997.2 suspension almost feels like a one off where Porsche decided to make it more harder edged than the previous gens but then decided that it was too hard and went back to a softer approach with the 991. Regarding the engine, I don’t think anyone will care as much in the future as the 9A1 has already proven to be robust and is still being used, even in the GT2 RS. Having said that, I do agree that the .1 will have strong values too, I just don’t think it will pass the .2. And I can see both 997 gens passing the 991.

The .1 and .2 are really two different cars. We should not confuse it really. That is our biggest mistake.

The suspension, the pcm, the leather interior, the engine, the wheels.
Thats one of my points, we should not be comparing them as thesame because they are not. Porsche made it confusing that a 997.2 is higher output 997.1 when in fact they have 2 different engines. They did that transition to save cost.

And until 2017, the mezger was still the engine on the RSR. What sport car company has used part of the racing engine block on a street car for 30 years atleast. NONE. And it is expensive to make. And that is the reason my friends why the mezger is gone, it is just too expensive to produce.

I am not doubting the 9A1 as a good engine, but history will decide which will be more valuable for us all.

.1 is the last mezger turbo while .2 is the last manual turbo, atleast for now.

And if porsche changes its mind again and adds a manual option to a future 911 turbo, that title on the .2 is no more; but the .1 will still be the last mezger turbo forever.

https://rennlist.com/articles/porsches-mezger-six/?utm_source=jan16&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content

Nice reading if anyone is interested. Most notably is that the mezger is a true dry sump while a 9A1 is a hydrid. You pick which one you will value. There is reason why dry sump is preferred in racing, although you will see both dry and wet sump in the race track these days.

So that is why IMO, the only plus for a .2 is that it is the last turbo manual in a 997 body. The 997 body on a .2 is its main asset, not the engine.

Last edited by thxbuff2001; 05-26-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:58 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

All I know is a .1 or .2 is a great car. I am lucky to own a .1 man and I wouldn't have bought a tip because I never wanted one.
That is the ONLY reason. I don't buy a car thinking about what I will lose. Why bother buying one in the first place.
Cars are not true investments unless they are special cars, so I just drive it. If I make my money back all good, if I lose a bit, ah well, and if i make a bit that''s cool.
My investment is the fun factor. That's better than a few dollars in my opinion.

Over the last month I have had 2 offers from Australia and 2 local NZer's asking me if I would sell it.
There is no question they are hard to find these days which is the icing on the cake.
There are far more air cooled Turbo's for sale than 997.1' Turbos.

Maybe it's our turn boys
Old 05-26-2018, 03:07 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993MAN
All I know is a .1 or .2 is a great car. I am lucky to own a .1 man and I wouldn't have bought a tip because I never wanted one.
That is the ONLY reason. I don't buy a car thinking about what I will lose. Why bother buying one in the first place.
Cars are not true investments unless they are special cars, so I just drive it. If I make my money back all good, if I lose a bit, ah well, and if i make a bit that''s cool.
My investment is the fun factor. That's better than a few dollars in my opinion.

Over the last month I have had 2 offers from Australia and 2 local NZer's asking me if I would sell it.
There is no question they are hard to find these days which is the icing on the cake.
There are far more air cooled Turbo's for sale than 997.1' Turbos.

Maybe it's our turn boys

It is our turn. HOLD ON.

And dealers knows it.

Quick Reply: Hunting for the right 911 Turbo