Sponsored by:

MCS 2-Way Non Remote Coilovers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:07 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default MCS 2-Way Non Remote Coilovers Installed

Finally got a set of MCS's 2 way non remote coilovers installed, along with HRE P40S and new tires.

Here is a part list:

MCS 2WNR Coilovers
Tarret front monoball camber plates
Tarret rear monoball shock mounts
Tarret front drop links
Eibach Springs(600# Front/ 800# Rear)
Eibach Tender Springs
HRE P40S 19x8.5 19x11
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Compression +7 clicks out of 14
Rebound +3 clicks out of 18

Car is lowered around an inch around, I'll take some more pics once I get a chance to clean her up.

Haven't had a ton of seat time since it's been raining for what seems like forever around here. Initial driving impressions on the street, more planted, less role.

Definitely more noise with the monoball mounts and drop links. Generally over smooth roads it's fine, larger bumps can get real loud jolt in the car - shop thinks the car may not be lowered enough for full stroke in the rebound phase causing the excessive noise, still working on resolving this.

At this point I think it's more comfortable than stock in either regular or sport mode - seems to absorb road imperfections better, not as jittery or jarring over bumps.

Front

Rear
Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by theplings
Finally got a set of MCS's 2 way non remote coilovers installed, along with HRE P40S and new tires.

Here is a part list:

MCS 2WNR Coilovers
Tarret front monoball camber plates
Tarret rear monoball shock mounts
Tarret front drop links
Eibach Springs(600# Front/ 800# Rear)
Eibach Tender Springs
HRE P40S 19x8.5 19x11
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Compression +7 clicks out of 14
Rebound +3 clicks out of 18

Car is lowered around an inch around, I'll take some more pics once I get a chance to clean her up.

Haven't had a ton of seat time since it's been raining for what seems like forever around here. Initial driving impressions on the street, more planted, less role.

Definitely more noise with the monoball mounts and drop links. Generally over smooth roads it's fine, larger bumps can get real loud jolt in the car - shop thinks the car may not be lowered enough for full stroke in the rebound phase causing the excessive noise, still working on resolving this.

At this point I think it's more comfortable than stock in either regular or sport mode - seems to absorb road imperfections better, not as jittery or jarring over bumps.
Rear

Can you help me understand how a lower ride height is going to give you more stroke length? As far as I know the piston in the shock is going to move a certain distance at a given velocity. High speed or low speed bumps can move the piston as far as the valving will allow at the given velocities. Shortening the travel will remove stroke distance from the piston as you will engage the bump stops when you run out of travel....
Old 05-23-2018, 06:33 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
Can you help me understand how a lower ride height is going to give you more stroke length? As far as I know the piston in the shock is going to move a certain distance at a given velocity. High speed or low speed bumps can move the piston as far as the valving will allow at the given velocities. Shortening the travel will remove stroke distance from the piston as you will engage the bump stops when you run out of travel....
No I can't explain it, this is what I gathered from the installer after a short phone convo about it - I could have misunderstood which is probably the case as I really don't know much about this level of suspension tuning. He mentioned something about machining something on the top mounts for clearance (I think) - I have to talk to him again about it.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

No I can't explain it, this is what I gathered from the installer after a short phone convo about it - I could have misunderstood which is probably the case as I really don't know much about this level of suspension tuning. He mentioned something about machining something on the top mounts for clearance (I think) - I have to talk to him again about it.
Ah, sounds to me like they are talking about a shim or a packer. That changes where the shock body contacts the bump stop. Or, possibly they are going to give you a smaller bump stop. Either way those changes will make sure the suspension travel is being used correctly and that you are not leaving something on the table.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 PM
theplings
Racer

Thanks for the info, I'll update the thread with whatever other tweaks are made to the suspension.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM
theplings
Racer

Updated damper settings, had it wrong:

Front Comp 3, Rebound 7
Rear Comp 4, rebound 8
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
Ah, sounds to me like they are talking about a shim or a packer. That changes where the shock body contacts the bump stop. Or, possibly they are going to give you a smaller bump stop. Either way those changes will make sure the suspension travel is being used correctly and that you are not leaving something on the table.
Talked with him today and he said they are going to have a bushing machined and that goes somewhere in the shock mount, or somewhere on the top of the shock - since it involves machining I'm guessing this isn't any sort of bump stop. Won't be for another few weeks though as they are quite busy
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM
theplings
Racer

Update, shop had the car for a while to dial it in more concerning coilover noise - they ended up adding more compression and rebound and after a quick initial drive - everything seems to be have quieted down a good bit.

Large bumps can still deliver a pretty loud clank but it's not as frequent as it was before. Still hear some noise from drop links but overall these changes seemed to have settled it all down a good bit.

​​​​​
Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Slippery slope with suspension modifications. Glad its getting worked out for you.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by bogey1
Slippery slope with suspension modifications. Glad its getting worked out for you.
Yeah I'm learning that the hard way - it's a process for sure, anyone considering coilovers needs to realize it may take some time to get everything setup correctly - and then better handling comes with trade-offs in terms of noise and comfort.

Overall I am happy with how the car feels - with exhaust and suspension upgrades this car is quite a different beast - no more orthodontist--mobile!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who did the work? I'm in need to get MCS dialed in correctly on a 997TT. Thx
Old 04-15-2022, 08:45 PM
BOBBYFALI
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'm learning that the hard way - it's a process for sure, anyone considering coilovers needs to realize it may take some time to get everything setup correctly - and then better handling comes with trade-offs in terms of noise and comfort.

Overall I am happy with how the car feels - with exhaust and suspension upgrades this car is quite a different beast - no more orthodontist--mobile!
i am about to do the same set up as you with the Tarret tophats & drop links, MCS 2way & custom springs.

I was thinking of doing Bilstein Damptronics instead to avoid any issues like you mentioned with new stock top hats and just Tarret drop links.

Pls advise of how everything ended up as I would not tolerate a banging noise under no circumstances. This set up in Post COVID prices is very high and do not want to make a mistake.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Old 04-16-2022, 05:55 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by BOBBYFALI
i am about to do the same set up as you with the Tarret tophats & drop links, MCS 2way & custom springs.

I was thinking of doing Bilstein Damptronics instead to avoid any issues like you mentioned with new stock top hats and just Tarret drop links.

Pls advise of how everything ended up as I would not tolerate a banging noise under no circumstances. This set up in Post COVID prices is very high and do not want to make a mistake.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
It was a bit of a pain for sure, after putting a few thousand miles on them, the shop had the fronts rebuilt with some revised mounts(or something like that). After that was complete the loud noise I would get from time to time is gone. There is some very subtle noise from time to time. There was also an issue with leaving the adjusters on and contacting the strut tower on full lock, so I cannot leave the adjuster ***** on in the front.

I don't think this has anything to do with MCS or any other part manufacturer. I think with this sort of build your own setup it's more difficult to get right.

If I had to do it again I would have bought a complete off the shelf set of coilovers. For my purposes(street) I think I went overboard and didn't realize what I was signing up for going with this kind of setup.

All that being said the suspension now is very nice and I'm happy with it, but took a long time getting there.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: MCS 2-Way Non Remote Coilovers Installed