Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High tq tune and PSM

Old 02-13-2017, 08:09 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High tq tune and PSM

This question is for tuners and anyone that has a modified 997.1 TT making 650wtq or more peak.

How do you keep the PSM from kicking in during hard acceleration in low gears? I am learning more about this now that my car has a power kit installed making close to 700whp and 650wtq. I am told that even when you disable PSM it is still active and will kick in if it detects sufficient wheel spin. I was surprised to learn this because I thought when it was turned off it was really "off". So, even in a straight line run it may kick in and cut the throttle at 4-5k rpm in 1st or 2nd gear.

How do you work around this?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:19 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

On the 996t there's a plug under the brake fluid reservoir you can pull, maybe the 997 has something similar?
Old 04-29-2018, 12:09 AM
Escargot
AutoX

Default PSM

I am running an off the shelf COBB tune, upgraded intercoolers and piping, GT3 throttle body, 1300cc injectors and I have the same issues as you describe here with the PSM coming on in low gears, but before the tires even begin to break loose. Did you ever figure out why the PSM was kicking in and do you have a solution? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:10 AM
austx911S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Escargot
I am running an off the shelf COBB tune, upgraded intercoolers and piping, GT3 throttle body, 1300cc injectors and I have the same issues as you describe here with the PSM coming on in low gears, but before the tires even begin to break loose. Did you ever figure out why the PSM was kicking in and do you have a solution? Thanks.
No unfortunately I did not. This still happens on occasion and only if I am pushing it hard to redline 1-2. Just one of several reasons why I am switching to a Protomotive custom tune. I tried working with several different people on the Cobb custom tune and finally gave up. I finally got it where it ran good 90% of the time and lost interest. I'm not into drag racing so this particular problem wasn't a show stopper.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:36 AM
Escargot
AutoX

Thanks for the reply to this old thread. I am at a loss, it doesn’t kick in just a little bit, it cuts in a lot. It did not do this when I was running a stage 2 OTS tune file, started immediately after being tuned for the new stage 3 setup. When I switch off PSM, it pulls hard, smooth, and bearly breaks traction.

I'm not into drag racing either, but I do track days and would like to have PSM on for safety reasons. I don’t want to have to think about the car surging and bucking if I have to drop it into 2nd gear.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:39 AM
Escargot
AutoX

Forgot to add that I have an LSD in my TT. I saw your post on 6speed and the suggestions about the lack of LSD being the cause.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:26 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by austx911S
This question is for tuners and anyone that has a modified 997.1 TT making 650wtq or more peak.

How do you keep the PSM from kicking in during hard acceleration in low gears? I am learning more about this now that my car has a power kit installed making close to 700whp and 650wtq. I am told that even when you disable PSM it is still active and will kick in if it detects sufficient wheel spin. I was surprised to learn this because I thought when it was turned off it was really "off". So, even in a straight line run it may kick in and cut the throttle at 4-5k rpm in 1st or 2nd gear.

How do you work around this?

Thanks.
Im making right around those numbers, I have never had an issue when I turned PSM off. Just hammer down and go even when breaking the tires loose. I can get sideways in a turn no problem no traction control kicks in.

If PSM is on cuts power right away

Trending Topics

Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Update - I recently changed to a custom Protomotive Tune from Todd. Car has been running great. We are still fine tuning but I have not had any issues at all including the PSM cutting in as described when I started this thread. This tells me no mechanical issues caused this.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Escargot
AutoX

My issues are leaning toward being tune related. The car is going off to the tuner today to spend time on the dyno.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High tq tune and PSM