Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 10:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

The red paint was part/tighten markings.. Similar to Borg Warner 3K green paint on the compressor wheel nuts..
Old 05-24-2018, 12:06 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick question -- I just finished bleeding the cylinders and everything works great, nice even extension on both sides. So, I mount everything back on the car (except I didn't screw the wing on yet), I just wanted to make sure the cylinders still extend correctly once mounted. When I push the button I get the spoiler error. The cylinders aren't extending. The fuse is good. What's the next step, the micro-switch on the cylinder? I assume the wing not being mounted wouldn't affect the cylinders going up, but maybe that's a bad assumption? If I press the button in the car, should I hear the pump cycle? It's also possible I got air in the lines as I had to loosen and tighten the ends slightly to adjust which direction the lines went. If I got air in the lines, shouldn't I still be able to hear the pump cycle on or off? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

John, so on the bench everything is working correctly (statement).. You just loosened the banjo fitting enough to turn the lines>>that's not enough to matter. Yes, the micro switches will impact the movement. Did you connect your limit switches correctly>>they have seated and make contact? The wing doesn't effect the pump operation.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:00 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
John, so on the bench everything is working correctly (statement).. You just loosened the banjo fitting enough to turn the lines>>that's not enough to matter. Yes, the micro switches will impact the movement. Did you connect your limit switches correctly>>they have seated and make contact? The wing doesn't effect the pump operation.
Ok, so I have it back together and working great now! It was operator error after the bench test--I took one of the banjo bolts off to re-bleed one of the lines and didn't check it again. When I took it off this afternoon to troubleshoot, it sounded like I was opening a nice cold soda. DOH! After bleeding again everything is back together and working the way it should, and dry as a bone with no leaking. Thanks Kevin!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Glad you have it up and running!

Another "Save the Whale Tail" LOL
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bump for those that are having wing problems
Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

I plan on checking what my wing failure is when the cold weather hits. I am pretty sure the hydraulics are toast, but I will go though the bleed/fill process and check the microswitches before I tear it out.

If it is toast, I ma going to go this route, The electric alternative is cool, but I don't mind doing maintenance so even if these fail at some future point, since the design allows for R&R, I am in synch with this approach.

Probably be sending you some hydraulics soon Kevin. As for anyone who spends the time to develop something that helps us as owners, I am appreciative

Ed
Old 01-02-2019, 04:51 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

very small leak on driver's side. small drop of fluid that wipes away and returns after a few days or a week of driving.
My plan was to simply drive it till it fails then send them on to you. I assume there's no harm in this plan?
Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

The only real issue is that they can fail when the wing is down, and getting it up can be an absolute ball ache and might result in damage to the decklid (ask me how I know... ). If it was me doing it again, I'd replace/repair before failure.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:22 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

God point NZ. Any tips in how to avoid screwing up the lid if that happens (which I think is what I am facing).

Ed
Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I wonder if you could disassemble the unit under the decklid enough so as to remove the vacuum that prevents you from manually lifting the wing? The problem is that with it all connected you are fighting to get any space to lift it up and get the tool in there. I paid my OPC to do it (wrong move) and they seem to have been unable to get the wing up enough to turn the tool and not hit the decklid.

In this situation you're also creating a ton of pressure that would release as you remove the wing from the uprights/mount points. Definitely a two person job.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

If I understand the mechanics correctly, there is a big *** spring that pushes the wing down, and the hydraulics push the wing up. So getting the wing up under that load is the issue.

Someone must have had to deal with this already, unless everyone sent it to a shop to get done.

Ed
Old 01-06-2019, 03:36 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The solution is easy. Refill and bleed the system. Your hydraulics will work UNLESS you break the drive block in the pump assy. Disconnect the pump assy if you don't have the time to refill/bleed the system. This is done so that you don't damage your pump.
Read my post #10 for instructions.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
The solution is easy. Refill and bleed the system. Your hydraulics will work UNLESS you break the drive block in the pump assy. Disconnect the pump assy if you don't have the time to refill/bleed the system. This is done so that you don't damage your pump.
Read my post #10 for instructions.
so, in that case you're saying it's. ok to drive it till it fails. then disconnect the pump assembly and remove. send to you and you're good.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:01 PM
psk278
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I fixed mine after it failed without any issues. Take the pressure out of the cylinder, lift the wing and put wedges underneath it.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks Wing Cylinder Repair kit