Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent service issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:58 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car smokes on startup if I previously shut it down while still cold. For instance, if I just had to move the car out of the way of another car. It would't be at all surprising for such a condition to occur as part of shuffling the car around during service. It's worse if you do it a couple of times in a row before getting it properly warmed up.

If you think about how piston rings work, this actually makes quite a bit of sense. Even more so, when you realize that gravity does you no favors in a flat engine.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:37 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Putting Motul in all of my cars including the Prius.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:37 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine did this after my last trip to the indy (and by that I do mean my last trip to the indy, as in final trip). He overfilled it. Probably recognized it later, drained some, and you saw what was left. From what I understand, overfilling is quite common. Mine blew white smoked for a couple months (not that many starts, given my limited use) and eventually stopped.

Indy's can be great on older cars, but don't see many newer ones (even 997's) given the fact that many were CPO until recently. My indy was great with my 996, but won't touch the 997TT again after overfilling oil and nearly speccing the wrong coilpack.

Answer is simple: send it to the dealer from here on out. $300+ oil changes, yes, but never an issue. Enjoy your loaner...
Old 05-08-2018, 12:08 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Answer is simple: send it to the dealer from here on out. $300+ oil changes, yes, but never an issue. Enjoy your loaner...
I get the sentiment, but I'd also say oil changes are one of the easiest DIYs on these cars.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:51 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Fully agree about Indy's. I normally do all the work myself but got lazy, and I got to pay.
The smoke was just embarrassing more than anything, but like you say, it will likely clear up after some more runs.
I was going to dump the oil and replace it and the filter but after reading these posts I won't bother.
Still an insanely amazing car
Old 05-08-2018, 04:09 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

My car smokes if the previous start was quick and immediately turned off.

I also get some initial chatter upon startup if the car has been sitting.

Between that and my LWFW it's certainly not quiet

Quick Reply: Recent service issue