Another Shifter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 AM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another Shifter Thread

Hi All,
There is a lot of info and opinions on shifters contained within this forum as well as others, but I'm looking for any additional input. I believe I have narrowed down my choices to the OEM SSK or the Numeric Racing Shifter. I have not driven a car with either and don't really like purchasing blindly. Both have pros and cons, but I'm not sure which wins. The SSK would be OEM+ which is nice since the car "should" have come with that from the factory, but I know it is also plastic guts and could potentially allow for slop in the shifting in the years ahead. The Numeric is all aluminum and looks amazing in the pictures, but it is not OEM+ (not necessarily a huge deal, I know) but I have heard it is more difficult to install and a bit more "notchy" than the SSK.
Again, I know there are a lot of opinions out there and, yes, I have read most all of them, but just looking for more current input from any of you.
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:38 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To give you yet another choice, I recently added the Function-First Shift-Right Solution to my factory short shift. That eliminates all the plastic components. I can say that It eliminates all the play in the shifter itself. Unfortunately I messed up the postion of the shifter cables and had to order a shift alignment tool which should arrive this week. Hopefullly I can give a full review after the weekend but even with the cables beening a little loose things felt very promising.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

I have the Numeric shifter assembly with a Function-First ****. It's phenomenal though obviously on the high-end of the cost spectrum. It truly fits the "rifle bolt" cliche - rock solid. I have it on the medium setting and also have Wevo semi-solid engine mounts. I left the OE shift cable as everyone says the replacement one is very noisy, and the install looked like a PITA.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
To give you yet another choice, I recently added the Function-First Shift-Right Solution to my factory short shift. That eliminates all the plastic components. I can say that It eliminates all the play in the shifter itself. Unfortunately I messed up the postion of the shifter cables and had to order a shift alignment tool which should arrive this week. Hopefullly I can give a full review after the weekend but even with the cables beening a little loose things felt very promising.
Great, thank you. I will look forward to your review. It seems a bit expensive as the FFSR plus the SSK cost about the same as an all billet Numeric shifter, but still interested in your observations once installed. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:07 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Numeric with stock cables and I love it. I don't think it's too "notchy".
Old 05-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

One should mention the factory 997GT3 shifter.. Smooth as butter shifts. Aluminum reinforced "guts" It is not notchy. Your shifts are more positive and glide into gear over the "H" pattern.

It does have 10% more travel vs the SSK..

Please Note: One of the best options with the factory shifters is the ability to realign your shift cables with the factory supplied alignment tool. When you track your car or have temperature changes.. It just takes minutes to install the alignment tool and re-adjust your ****er/cables. This is worth the price of admission.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:24 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Running the 997 with Phenix Engineering shifter bushings in both the 996tt and 997tt, ends up being way cheaper than the factory 997 GT3 one.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:11 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Please Note: One of the best options with the factory shifters is the ability to realign your shift cables with the factory supplied alignment tool. When you track your car or have temperature changes.. It just takes minutes to install the alignment tool and re-adjust your ****er/cables. This is worth the price of admission.
That's a great tip! I realized when installing the shift-right kit just how much slack there can be in the shifter cables. I think a lot of the play people exprience with their stock shifters may come from the cables.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:45 AM
FirstStateCamber
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Having only owned my car for a few months and rellly only beginning to drive it now that the weather has changed I will ask this question as it seems applicable...

I notice on fast 1st -> 2nd shift you can get the lever to pull left of the gate and miss a shift. With less agression (haha) this goes away. Is this the OEM plastic bushings deforming? And would a aftermarket SSK eliminate this potential misssed shift and potential over rev???

I saw an upgraded poly insert for the transaxle mounts but I'm thinking to address the shifter fell/slop first.

Thx
Old 05-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

One should mention the factory 997GT3 shifter.. Smooth as butter shifts. Aluminum reinforced "guts" It is not notchy. Your shifts are more positive and glide into gear over the "H" pattern.

Post #46 shows the differences in throw:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...997-ssk-4.html
Old 05-03-2018, 09:21 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the 997.2 GT3 shifter with the metal bushings, as noted above. There is always some debate over whether it's a shorter throw from the regular 997 shifter. It is not. It's the exact same throw as the normal 997 shifter.

As for how it feels. Absolutely zero difference in feel whatsoever. I'm pretty in tune with my car and can generally pickup on small changes, plus for $500 I really wanted to 'feel' the difference. There's none. It's identical in feel and throw to the normal shifter. The caveat of course is that it does have metal bushings which I suppose in theory will stand up to more abuse at the track.

Just my honest feedback on that one. Motor mounts and transmission fluid change - now those each (separate jobs by a few months) made very distinct and positive changes to the shifting.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstyles
I have the 997.2 GT3 shifter with the metal bushings, as noted above. There is always some debate over whether it's a shorter throw from the regular 997 shifter. It is not. It's the exact same throw as the normal 997 shifter.

As for how it feels. Absolutely zero difference in feel whatsoever. I'm pretty in tune with my car and can generally pickup on small changes, plus for $500 I really wanted to 'feel' the difference. There's none. It's identical in feel and throw to the normal shifter. The caveat of course is that it does have metal bushings which I suppose in theory will stand up to more abuse at the track.

Just my honest feedback on that one. Motor mounts and transmission fluid change - now those each (separate jobs by a few months) made very distinct and positive changes to the shifting.
Interesting feedback
Old 05-04-2018, 03:08 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Thank you all for your opinions and feedback. It is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Just realigned my shift cables with the factory tool. Definitely made a noticeable difference so I recommend taking the time to do it. Only downside is that you need to remove the center console...
Old 05-28-2018, 04:59 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve had my numeric racing with their cables for 2yrs now. I’m happy I changed the OEM. I keep it on middle setting and it feels great

Quick Reply: Another Shifter Thread