Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawaiian's: where are the sports cars??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Hawaiian's: where are the sports cars??

On holiday in Honolulu for two weeks, was expecting to see a few sports cars and exotics driving around, but the closest I've seen was a vanilla 991 Carrera. Everyone drives a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Charger or some other generic American V8 Ute. Where are all the Turbos??

Also, it's ridiculous to see this many large displacement NA commuter cars on the road - I realise petrol is cheap but seriously, have modern turbo'd small displacement engines been ignored here?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I am sure it does not make a lot of financial sense to have an exotic car dealership in Hawaii with limited customers and/or an exotic car with limited if any shops that would know the cars.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:53 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 188 Posts

Hehehe....there is a fair share of exotic cars here. They just don't come out as often, unlike LA scene. Hawaii is a small state. The "Rich & Famous" crowd don't want people to know who they are, but at a certain Cars & Coffee gathering at Ala Moana, you will see a fair number of exotics; not at the level of LA scene, and no Pagani, Koenig either. There is a McClaren here on the island. Also a 918 here, and a bunch of Ferrari/Lambo. As for P-Car Turbo, I am surprised you did not see them. There are quite a few 991 TT/TTS driving around the Ala Moana/Kakaako area, as well as, East Side.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:45 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
I am sure it does not make a lot of financial sense to have an exotic car dealership in Hawaii with limited customers and/or an exotic car with limited if any shops that would know the cars.
Ha, if we concerned ourselves with how much our cars made financial sense we'd all struggle to justify ownership

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Hehehe....there is a fair share of exotic cars here. They just don't come out as often, unlike LA scene. Hawaii is a small state. The "Rich & Famous" crowd don't want people to know who they are, but at a certain Cars & Coffee gathering at Ala Moana, you will see a fair number of exotics; not at the level of LA scene, and no Pagani, Koenig either. There is a McClaren here on the island. Also a 918 here, and a bunch of Ferrari/Lambo. As for P-Car Turbo, I am surprised you did not see them. There are quite a few 991 TT/TTS driving around the Ala Moana/Kakaako area, as well as, East Side.
Yeah that makes sense. Coming back into Waikiki yesterday evening we saw a Lamborghini of some type and another 911, but still mostly V8's everywhere.

While Hawaii is small it is similar in size to New Zealand cities so I guess I expected similar numbers of interesting cars. We also don't have the rare exotics like Paganis etc (at least to my knowledge) but do have lots of McLarens and Lambos.

I should add that I'm loving it here. I could definitely get used to it and will be coming back for sure.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Best holiday destination we have ever been to Jake. I reckon the best place in the world personally.
They just need a few more ABC stores and everyone will be happy.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:54 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont even see any sports cars in Dallas except when im in the dealer.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:20 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Best holiday destination we have ever been to Jake. I reckon the best place in the world personally.
They just need a few more ABC stores and everyone will be happy.
ABC stores . The heir to that Company has the 918 and 991.2 6spd GT3, amongst his collections

Last edited by 808c2s; 04-29-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:24 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nzskater
Yeah that makes sense. Coming back into Waikiki yesterday evening we saw a Lamborghini of some type and another 911, but still mostly V8's everywhere.

While Hawaii is small it is similar in size to New Zealand cities so I guess I expected similar numbers of interesting cars. We also don't have the rare exotics like Paganis etc (at least to my knowledge) but do have lots of McLarens and Lambos.

I should add that I'm loving it here. I could definitely get used to it and will be coming back for sure.
Too bad the PCA-HI does not have any events this week, nor are there any C&C at Ala Moana while you are here. Would have invited you to join the festivities
Old 04-29-2018, 01:33 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Hawaii has insanely low speed limits, (lowest in the country by a huge margin). The way Hawaii politicians direct law enforcement to write speeding tickets, makes owning a high-powered sports car an exercise in frustration. Paradise lost indeed.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:46 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Hawaii has insanely low speed limits, (lowest in the country by a huge margin). The way Hawaii politicians direct law enforcement to write speeding tickets, makes owning a high-powered sports car an exercise in frustration. Paradise lost indeed.
True, speed limit is on the low side, and there are too many cars on the road. The saying "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow" holds true in this instance. But, there are places where you can enjoy a brief spurt of speed and handling
Old 04-29-2018, 04:04 AM
Norgeiron
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been raining its *** off for the last month or so.....

...and that's why I'm not driving my white 997.1 TT manual over the Pali Highway these days. Instead, I'm using my 740 Turbo Wagon with manual transmission and having a blast while laughing the rain to scorn.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:27 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

May be because we can't open up our turbos and prefer driving our beater cars on our poorly manage public roads and low speed limit. I see on average a few Porsche in my neighborhood (Kakaako) everyday. There are a least 5-6 Porsche in my condo along with some other exotics. I must admit they rarely use them on daily basis.

Quick Reply: Hawaiian's: where are the sports cars??