Sponsored by:

Weird tpms problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Weird tpms problem

So when I went to switch my wheels and tires back to my summer setup get an error message. I’ve done this multiple times over the years with these cars, never an issue. My summer rims tpms sensors are about a yr old and fx normally, or so they seem.
When I set the stalk to ‘summer’ it never gives me the ‘learning’ screen and never turns off the alarm light, but you get readings on all 4 senors on that screen. However, if you click the stalk back to ‘winter’ it learns and clears itself normally. My handheld Foxwood nt510 reads the 8003 error code which would be an electrical error. Cleared it but returned.
My thoughts are the yr old tire rack sensors have a short in them somewhere, but why would everything read normal in the winter profile?
Thoughts
chris
Old 04-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

How certain are you that the batteries on the summer setup are good? I just went through a long process of diagnosing TPMS problems on my dad's 2009. It was always reporting one corner flat; in fact, ALL FOUR TPMS sensor's batteries were bad and consequently all four sensors need to be replaced. I get these at cost, but the Porsche dealer wanted a staggering 1900 to replace.

I had dad out the door for under 500 including an install at tire rack.

I've learned that if even one part of the TPMS system is unwell, it will cause all kinds of problems that will be difficult to trace and will lead you to the wrong conclusions.

How certain are you that ALL FOUR sensors are 100%??
Old 04-22-2018, 06:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They are 1 yr old and all 4 reading values, but only under the winter format
Old 04-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

The other culprit might be the TPMS control module. Either way sounds like a PIWIS inspection is in order.

Quick Reply: Weird tpms problem