Sponsored by:

Waterless Coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Waterless Coolant question

Having an air cooled 911 means I've never really considered my coolant. In other older cars, many classics, enthusiasts have moved to a waterless coolant to avoid corrosion. Anyone here use it? Any feedback?

Leno uses it, as do many classic collections. Coolant requirements in a 911TT are likely more demanding than many other cars. Not sure if I trust it, but would like to hear any opinions.
https://www.evanscoolant.com/?gclid=...iAAEgL7zvD_BwE
Old 04-19-2018, 01:19 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I spoke to the rep for that waterless coolant.he said the problem would be the auxiliary coolant pump. It would have a difficult time moving the product. The pump I am referring to is in the engine compartment and runs on 12 volts. He said not made for your type car. Maybe they changed the product. He also said they tried it on an Audi which uses almost the exact pump. He told me it was like syrup when cold. Verify and ask again I am using 70/30 mix. I live in Florida and it never gets below freezing. Curious if they have changed the formula.

Last edited by atcbi5; 04-19-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Evans coolant becomes very thick and heavy when cold. I know because we tried them years ago in our trucks. I also cannot recall if it has the appropriate properties to run extended life. Do not use it. What problem are you trying to solve?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

That’s what ruins the auxiliary pumps impeller. I was told by them. Skip that none sense.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:54 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Coolant will only cause corrosion if not changed. Coolant over time becomes acidic
Old 04-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Evans coolant becomes very thick and heavy when cold. I know because we tried them years ago in our trucks. I also cannot recall if it has the appropriate properties to run extended life. Do not use it. What problem are you trying to solve?
Well said. There isn't a problem to solve. Thanks to all for the feedback.

I wanted to explore it since unchanged coolant in other classics I own can lead to corrosion. Never had the concern with older 911s and thought I'd see the collective wisdom on the topic.

I appreciate the responses.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:02 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Having an air cooled 911 means I've never really considered my coolant. In other older cars, many classics, enthusiasts have moved to a waterless coolant to avoid corrosion. Anyone here use it? Any feedback?

Leno uses it, as do many classic collections. Coolant requirements in a 911TT are likely more demanding than many other cars. Not sure if I trust it, but would like to hear any opinions.
https://www.evanscoolant.com/?gclid=...iAAEgL7zvD_BwE
The only problem with waterless coolant is that you cannot mix it with regular coolant. Our Porsches having upwards of almost 9 gals in the cooling system has to be completely evacuated to use the waterless system. That is a tedious task to flush out the entire heater core, plumbing, engine ....... and etc

Quick Reply: Waterless Coolant question