Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Turbo: Technology questions + common failures &issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:32 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default 997.2 Turbo: Technology questions + common failures &issues?

I own a 996 turbo and am extremely familiar with the technology and most of the common issues that need to be checked out and/or budgeted for repair.

Not as familiar with the 997.2 Turbo and want to learn more about the particulars of that generation and what weaknesses it has.

Engine:

Obviously no longer the Mezger, and not looking for a holy-war discussion of which engine is "better", rather looking for what are the common issues? I assume coolant line glue failures and water pump failures were addressed with the replacement of the Mezger?

What about Turbo plumbing? Is there still a network of vacuum lines, check valves, and electronic valves controlling the boost? External wastegates and diverter valves? Are semi-common check valve failures still an issue?

Engine mounts, particularly the dynamic engine mounts on Sport Chrono cars? Stock 996/997 engine mounts stretch and sag over time, but not a big deal to replace. I realize any part can fail, but are the PADM mounts considered a 'lifetime' part or a wear item? No elastomers inside them?

Transmission & AWD:

Is the manual transmission on the 997.2 Turbo the same as the one on the 996 and 997.1 Turbo's? Does it still use the power steering pump assisted pentosin based clutch slave & accumulator? If so, still the same issues with failures and lack of feel? Again, if so, can the GT2 clutch slave upgrade be done on a 997.2 Turbo manual?

I realize the AWD system is significantly changed from the 996 Turbo. I assume the newer PTM system makes it extremely non-trivial to do a RWD conversion on a 997.2 Turbo?

Spoiler hydraulics:

Same hydraulic spoiler system as the earlier 996/997? Seems like on a 996, it's a question of when they will fail, not if they will fail. Still an issue?

Other weak points?
Any other notable problem spots to look out for on the 997.2 generation Turbos?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-17-2018, 03:54 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll respond to a couple of the simpler questions. For the engine, I'm not aware of any issues although the DFI motor can throw off a lot of carbon soot from the exhaust which is really more of an annoyance, kind of like constantly having to clean up brake dust. Especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust with freer flowing cats (or no cats) where more of the carbon is likely to make its way out of the exhaust outlets.

The manual transmission is not the same. The .2 Turbo has a Japanese Aisin unit vs. the Getrag in the .1. Perhaps blasphemy for some, but the Aisin unit is extremely reliable like its predecessor.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo: Technology questions + common failures &issues?