Sponsored by:

997.2 TTS or TT cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Montecarlohomme
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 TTS or TT cabrio?

hello everyone. I'm a former 996 TT and TT S owner (both manual coupes), sold them last year, now miss Porsches (I had various air cooled cars in the distant past). I'm also a journalist, and have the good fortune to review many supercars as they come out, though that's not the same as owning them of course.

I need some open topped fun and posted in the main 997 forum about whether to buy a GTS cabrio or a TT. I'm now swinging towards the TT, and also towards a PDK, because I live in London. So my question is..is there a big difference between the .2 TT and TT S in cabrio PDK form? I ask particularly because I found that my 996 TT S, while faster than my 996 TT, was actually less fun, a bit more clinical and cold.

i did drive/review all the 997 TTs when they were new, but that was a while back. I remember enjoying a .2 manual until the clutch fried itself (not my fault - blame the track fiend journalists before me) and enjoying a PDK less, but for my use, it has to be PDK.

Any thoughts? I will definitely be buying a cabrio, and have wavered between a 997, Gallardo and various other things. I have Ferraris already and want something I can use more frequently.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

PDK is faster and probably a dream in traffic.... but a MT is a blast every time you get the chance to run it through the gears...block to block or on the backroads..... it is a pain in NYC traffic though..... go for the stick!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Montecarlohomme
Track Day

Thank you! I was however more looking for any thoughts on the .2 TT S vs .2 TT, assuming both are PDK. Is the S just like a TT with an extra slap of boost (as with the 996) or is it more than the sum of its parts? And does the cabrio structure make any difference to the relative experience? I have owned a few 911s but never cabrios.

997.2 TT S is quite a lot more than a TT on the market right now and I am trying to work out if it’s worth it. I don’t need it just for the extra horses, but if there’s more magic..
Old 04-18-2018, 06:37 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Montecarlohomme
Thank you! I was however more looking for any thoughts on the .2 TT S vs .2 TT, assuming both are PDK. Is the S just like a TT with an extra slap of boost (as with the 996) or is it more than the sum of its parts? And does the cabrio structure make any difference to the relative experience? I have owned a few 911s but never cabrios.

997.2 TT S is quite a lot more than a TT on the market right now and I am trying to work out if it’s worth it. I don’t need it just for the extra horses, but if there’s more magic..
It’s more than just power but you can option out a TT to similar specs. It just costs a lot more. And yes, a TTS is worth it...
Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

My Cabrio is optioned out like an S ... active engine mounts, torque vectoring, sport chrono with boost, limited slip. (I believe all of this is standard on S plus PDK and extra 30 horse) maybe a higher spec interior? I have full leather, center locks, and carbon brakes... so a $174K stick...

as far as cabrio vs coupe... well i like an evening drive with the top down... no interest in tracking this car.. so that kinda says it all.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:51 PM
Montecarlohomme
Track Day

That sounds really nice. And rare!

I have to have a cabrio, no question about that, for the reason you outline. My Ferraris are all gated manuals but the 911 will be a PDK for practicality.

Has as anyone here had a 997.2 TT and TT S? Is the S just better? I know it’s a strange question but more power and more tech doesn’t always make a more interesting car - the reason I am looking at a 997.2 and not a 991. Sorry for the question but if any place in the world it will get good answers, it’s here.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

From everything, I have read and the parts numbers cross-referenced the difference comes down to the tune. I have a 12' 997.2 TT Cab that has a tune, Cats, Tubi Exhaust, Champion Intercoolers with the PDK. There is not much on the road when we are out that can keep up with it. I would not change a thing about what I bought. The great part is the mods were done by the previous owner. It was a 174k factory window sticker so very well optioned. The one Item I did not want was the PCCB's and it does not.

We went 310 miles with the Porsche group through Texas backroads and had a blast last weekend.

Quick Reply: 997.2 TTS or TT cabrio?