Sponsored by:

From 2017 M4 competition to 997.1 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 04:17 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Drive a 997 GT3 with a aftermarket exhaust and report back to us.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgES0h0l...y=heinz_nation
Agreed. But, make it an RS - all stock. Nothing comes close to the sound nirvana (well, a bunch of cars do, but its one of the all time greats) - especially at 150 mph !
Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Drive a 997 GT3 with a aftermarket exhaust and report back to us.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgES0h0l...y=heinz_nation
it sounds good, but should I get an aftermarket exhaust if I want to spend over 150k on this car? And GT cars sound nice but it's nearly impossible to order one straight from the dealer.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
From what I have read any modifications to the 997's will decrease it's value. I did not know what the Liberty Walk wide body was all about, so I did some googling, and for me that modification is just not something I would ever do to any car. When you mentioned that I was thinking the widebody kit that TPC offers, which makes more sense (to me).

So, based on what others have said about the value for a GT4 (a race car in my opinion and something that if I tracked the car would make that a more attractive choice) and the value of a modified 997, I cannot imagine the 997 would come even close to the GT4. Now I have not done ANY searching to confirm that, it is based on what I have read over the past couple of years regarding Porsche Turbos from the 996 & 997 worlds and the occasional posts about GT2, 3 & 4's.

Personally I feel the two vehicles are completely different animals, with the transaxle setup and 2 wheel drive of the GT series being the biggest difference, not to mention the electronics and other more comfort driven approach of a non modified 997 making it a more of a street car. At the same time that doesn't mean I would not modify a 997 (coilovers, sways, DSC & tune are either done or in the plans for me) and run some track days every so often (if the wife lets me!)

So, for me:

1. This modified 997 value should not come close to the GT4 (non modified 997's should range from $50K (high miles, not well cared for) to $85K (low mile .2's) compare to $100K or more for a GT4
2. If I am not tracking the car I would be looking for a low mile non-modified 997
3. If I am tracking the car I would get the GT4

Ed
This is very helpful, thanks a lot. I personally thought the value of the turbo 997 with 12000 mileage should be close to a GT4, i think I was wrong.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:05 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 977turbo
even with a low mileage 997?.
I think the consensus is that it is a heat cycle issue rather than a mileage issue, although I have seen posts that talk about 40K miles being one of the indicators. At the same time there are those that have exceeded that mileage and have not experienced the issue.

Unfortunately there is no definitive marker for when to expect this, other than tracking the car seems to increase the probability of this happening.

Camshaft issues also seem to be affected by tracking.

The clutch is just a personal preference deal.

Ed
Old 04-20-2018, 05:54 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have a tuned f80 m3 and a 997.2 turbo. Both have the dual clutch tranny. I sold my highly modified Cayman S--close to GT4 performance. Between the 3:

F80 m3--It is running JB4 stage I with 265/285 RE11 tires. So close to a Comp package. Car is very well planted and stable once you get out of wheel spin. By comparison, the 997 feels twitchy and bobs around a bit at speed. M3 spins its tires through 3rd so it is hard to keep it pointing straight and I never really feel like I can trust the rear end. You got to be on top of your game to drive it hard. It is a great daily driver, even in winter on snows, and it was pretty much as quick as the stock 997t. Power delivery is different though. Torque hits hard and low in the revs while the 997 builds. 997 actually doesn't feel that fast--but it is faster. On my favorite stretch of road from a 25 mph roll to a fixed object the relative speeds I've seen in my cars: 997.2 t 130 mph, m3 121 mph, Cayman 110 mph, Cayenne 955 t 100 mph. They were all about a 10 mph delta. Brakes are good; but the pads let them down in spirited driving. 997's are more fade resistant but maybe not as powerful as the m3's.

997.2 turbo--I've got mine tuned to about 560 hp, but at stock it felt about as fast as the tuned m3. Car has lots of traction; but it doesn't have a super nailed down chassis. My car has the PTV with the diff and PASM. Car is noticeably smaller and more nimble. Bites into corners while the m3 feels like it is a bit removed and doesn't dig in on the front end. When you get launch control to hook up it rips forward unlike anything the m3 could wish to do. Probably the best all around daily drivable sports car in the world.

Tuned 08 Cayman S--Was running 350+ hp with coilovers and other goodies. This car felt like an extension of you and it did exactly what you wanted it to do. Perfect chassis. Good power with the upgrades. I sold it because I moved to Denver and the altitude kills N/A cars performance. It was an '08 too so it had the oiling issues. Always wanted an '09.

If I had to pick one--
M3 for family all around great car.
997.2 turbo for shear performance and the highest quality.
Cayman for fun backroads at sea level.

I've been toying about selling the m3 and getting another Cayman. I guess that says it all.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Cayman is Porsche's best kept secret! Getting one in two years. A six cylinder not that POS four cylinder Subaru engine sound.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:36 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^ I have extreme lust for a Cayman GT4 Clubsport... A nice S or R would suffice for sure.

Quick Reply: From 2017 M4 competition to 997.1 turbo