Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 TT tiptronic owners...happy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Chitown911tt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently picked up an 07 TT Tip. All the sports cars I've owned till now have been manuals (Z06, Viper, S4..etc...) With sports mode on, it really isn't all that bad. Yeah it can't replace the feeling of going through the gears, but its really not all that bad. Shifts MUCH faster than I thought it would. I think it just gets a bad rep.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 AM
Poppahay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 08 tip a couple of years ago and love the car. After owning a couple of high horsepower manuals I was looking for the Tiptronic. It’s easier to go fast with the automatic. When you get over 450 horsepower a manual is harder to deal with under hard acceleration. First to second and second to third are MUCH faster with the tip. As was stated earlier I love being able to put it on the floor and let it do it’s thing. Put a good tune on the car(and an exhaust if you want) with a DSC module and you’ll be loving it all the more.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
I have to agree, the tiptronic gets massacred by the press and other Porschephiles. But the more I’m driving this car, the more I’m impressed by the system. I use the buttons right for up and left for down to simulate a paddle and the shifts are not nearly as slow as I was made to believe.

wow that is beautiful. GMG Springs?
They are H&R coilovers installed right before I bought it. Love the look, but still undecided about the ride quality.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Traded in my 07 TT with Tip for a 991S with a 7 spd manual a couple months ago. Missed the boost and didn't enjoy the manual shifting as much as I remembered . Sold the 991 after a month.

Like the fact that you can add HP within reason and not have to beef up the tip trans.

I put a PDK paddle wheel in mine and it updated the interior . Its a nice upgrade IMO, and eliminated the accidental touch of the shift buttons when turning.

These are incredibly satisfying cars to drive no matter the transmission.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:26 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminator
Traded in my 07 TT with Tip for a 991S with a 7 spd manual a couple months ago. Missed the boost and didn't enjoy the manual shifting as much as I remembered . Sold the 991 after a month.

Like the fact that you can add HP within reason and not have to beef up the tip trans.

I put a PDK paddle wheel in mine and it updated the interior . Its a nice upgrade IMO, and eliminated the accidental touch of the shift buttons when turning.

These are incredibly satisfying cars to drive no matter the transmission.
Wait, you can put a paddle shift wheel in a tiptronic???? Do tell!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:45 PM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes sir , it is my understanding that all the later wheels are interchangeable. Do a search and you'll find quite a few people who have done it . I bought an Alcantara paddle wheel from a 991 and swapped it for the multifunction button tip triangular unit that came in my car.

It requires a new control module ,and of course a trip to the dealer for programming to make the new stuff work. I am not a mechanic by any means, but not afraid to do some work . I watched the you tube tutorial on the swap and was able to do in 4 hours . The more experienced guys claim an hour or two .

My costs were :
Wheel and airbag : $1100
Control module : $300
Dealer trip : $380

Well worth it to me and anyone I spoke to who had done it. Transformed the car.
There are a couple guys on here who deal in the steering wheels . Watch the classifieds as they come up for sale.

Last edited by Luminator; 04-20-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add content
Old 04-21-2018, 11:36 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminator
Yes sir , it is my understanding that all the later wheels are interchangeable. Do a search and you'll find quite a few people who have done it . I bought an Alcantara paddle wheel from a 991 and swapped it for the multifunction button tip triangular unit that came in my car.

It requires a new control module ,and of course a trip to the dealer for programming to make the new stuff work. I am not a mechanic by any means, but not afraid to do some work . I watched the you tube tutorial on the swap and was able to do in 4 hours . The more experienced guys claim an hour or two .

My costs were :
Wheel and airbag : $1100
Control module : $300
Dealer trip : $380

Well worth it to me and anyone I spoke to who had done it. Transformed the car.
There are a couple guys on here who deal in the steering wheels . Watch the classifieds as they come up for sale.

That is amazing, thanks for the tip! (no pun intended.)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:32 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also put a 991.2 wheel in it.

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT tiptronic owners...happy?