Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice bug!!!!
Old 04-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Impressive numbers, RoscOtis. Never tried with my '08 Tip, but a question. What is the long term effect of each such launch, bullet proof as I am told my transmission is?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:29 PM
RoscOtis
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Impressive numbers, RoscOtis. Never tried with my '08 Tip, but a question. What is the long term effect of each such launch, bullet proof as I am told my transmission is?
I wouldn't call anything "bulletproof" but judging by how massive this Tiptronic is and talking to the people that tune and beat on these cars everyday I'm told 600-650hp is the magic number. Anything over that then you are pushing the limits of the trans (according to tuners and research I have done). So my motto has always been to get in the 10's and keep it in the 10's. I've made several passes on this car and have had zero issues. The Indy shop even checked the trans while it was out and all seemed fine (no burnt fluid smell - they also checked all electronic connections and hardware connections). How the car is launched is crucial also. I will only pull the car up to about 7lbs or so of boost at holeshot. It doesn't need much more than that as the car will increase boost almost instantly at launch. In my experience as a drag racer on Type 1 VW's (totally different of course but same premise) the trans never breaks once moving. It always breaks on launch. As with any vehicle, parts wear out and things break but Porsche knew what they were doing when they built these fine cars!

Another thing to note is tire pressure. I always keep 35-38lbs in my tires. My philosophy is lowering tire pressure will only increase traction and put more wear on the drive train. I don't have an issue if the car breaks the tires loose at hole shot (it rarely does when launched under 10 lbs boost).

It takes some getting used to but once you have a rhythm in place it becomes routine. I'm sure you've also heard the old saying "if your scared to break it don't race it!".
Old 04-12-2018, 12:32 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Hey Rosco, sorry about that, my comments were for Actbi5. I think your posts pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as these cars are concernend and your view matches mine, except for one small detail - you know how to race!

Ed
Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM
RoscOtis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Catorce
Nice bug!!!!
Thanks! It now resides somewhere in south Texas.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM
RoscOtis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lliejk
Hey Rosco, sorry about that, my comments were for Actbi5. I think your posts pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as these cars are concernend and your view matches mine, except for one small detail - you know how to race!

Ed
No Worries I thought as much!
Old 04-12-2018, 03:20 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
These cars are 10+ years old now. Things break, that's the way it is. When they break, fix them. It's a price we pay to enjoy such wicked automobiles. You seem to have a resentful attitude towards your car in many of your posts, have you thought about just selling your car and moving on to a different platform?

To the OP - great post, I enjoyed the read. These cars are a blast on the track and with the maintenance & repairs you've done you should be in good shape for a while. Enjoy the ownership of a 997TT!
I thought I was the only one that detected the resentment of such a fine automobile. Agreed, just sell it (if you haven't already) and buy that which will be 100% perfect all the time and perform the same as these cars. And please let us all know when you find that unicorn!

Yes- OP- enjoy your new ride and welcome!!!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:54 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Nope, still in my climate controlled garage. No resentment I tell you. Actually ecstatic in the thousands and thousands of dollars saved doing my own work. Very very happy. No coolant smell here guys, all levels check!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Seems inconsistent to repeatedly proclaim in multiple posts these cars are ticking time-bombs, awaiting to explode at any moment and drain your wallet of thousands, all the while being "very happy"..
I guess its just me..
Old 04-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Thanks RoscOtis. If I try it, will save me some $$$ with the boost at 7 psi for launch. Would not have thought of that.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting color! Good luck with the car. At least you'll be able to count on the wing going up and down soon! ;o)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:24 AM
RoscOtis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Very interesting color! Good luck with the car. At least you'll be able to count on the wing going up and down soon! ;o)
I'm actually looking forward to it working again! LOL! It worked for a time when I first got it but the constant leaking got on my nerves!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:58 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
^ Seems inconsistent to repeatedly proclaim in multiple posts these cars are ticking time-bombs, awaiting to explode at any moment and drain your wallet of thousands, all the while being "very happy"..
I guess its just me..
You misinformed dude. Hope it does not happen to you. Unfortunately it will to some extent. Don't know why you are so upset at me. I contribute positive statements. Some of the opinions are mine. I would not buy this model if I had to do it again. Don't know why you take this as resentful? Look at the post above? It will happen to you.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5

You misinformed dude. Hope it does not happen to you. Unfortunately it will to some extent. Don't know why you are so upset at me. I contribute positive statements. Some of the opinions are mine. I would not buy this model if I had to do it again. Don't know why you take this as resentful? Look at the post above? It will happen to you.
You're not stuck with your car - the 997.1TT 6 speed is in hot demand right now, and with the major fixes you've completed I am sure you would have a line of people ready to pay you good money for your car if you were so inclined.

Fixing the coolant pipes should be a one time fix and you'll never deal with it again. It's virtually a no-charge fix if you consider doing it at the same time as a clutch change, or even if it fails - replace the clutch and justify to yourself that the cost for repair was to replace the clutch and you got the coolant pipes while you were in there. Then there is the spun cam issue, which is way less common but indeed a cost-intensive repair. The caveat though is that the cam pinning is a permanent solution - it will not recur after being properly addressed. Everything else is common stuff that would need to be serviced, repaired, replaced on any 10 year old car.

Life is short dude, don't waste time with a car that doesn't make you completely happy. Sell it for good money while the market is hot and jump into something newer, with a warranty, at the same price point. M4, C63S, etc...
Old 04-14-2018, 06:30 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I find threads like this very informative and appreciate the people who take the time to detail what they have been going thru.

I have had my 997.1tt for about two trouble-free years now and consider myself to be lucky I guess. I still have a lot to learn coming from the BMW community but I have to say being back in a Porsche has been nothing but rewarding so far. I plan to have my cooling pipes replaced and pinned with sharkwerks piping when that time comes. So far I have not had any issues with my OE cooling piping. As for the cams, I will deal with that when the time comes... not sure if I will do a preventive maintenance on this but then I might... I'm still figuring out the priorities for my car.

Quick Reply: New Porsche TT Owner Joys and Woes