Sponsored by:

997 Turbo SmartTop

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 Turbo SmartTop

Years ago when I had a 997S, there was a discounted group order on rennlist for the SmartTop. It was an easy install and I thought well designed. With warm weather around the corner, I'm thinking of ordering one. I assume other cab owners on here already have their SmartTops. Can anyone recommend an online vendor for this product? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Emmasdream
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been thinking about getting this mod. Originally, I was very excited for it. Mainly for the party trick of being able to place the top down from outside with the car off. But thinking about it more, Its hard to imagine it will actually be useful and now i'm second guessing it.

And i'm worried about potentially damaging something else when installing it.

Can anyone who has had one comment on how useful it was and what use cases they found it as being a game-changing mod?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I had one on my 997.1 Turbo Cabriolet. It worked very well, and it was one of my favorite modifications. I haven't added it to my 991.1 Turbo S Cabriolet yet, but I'm seriously considering it.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:19 PM
Emmasdream
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Dennis. I've read similar sentiments from other owners as well, but they never go into detail. Why was it one of your favorite modifications?

For me, the car sits in my garage most of the day. I walk to the garage, open the garage door, get in the car, and then put down the roof. So it doesn't seem like having the smart top would do anything there.

The other use case that might be interesting would be leaving it parked somewhere (the park, the store, etc), and then walking up and with the key fob, lowering the roof before even getting in the car. But again, this feels like a party trick.

Or is it the other features that make it a great mod? The one touch control (instead of holding up/down) and the lock beeps?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:31 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

For me when I had it on my 997S, the best feature was the one touch opening and closing of the top. When you are driving slowly, you can open or close the top by pressing the button, and you don't have to press it down until the top operation is complete. Maybe I'm lazy, but that to me was an excellent feature, especially if you have a manual gearbox.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Why Smart Top and not this:

http://www.mods4cars.com/

I may be up for a group buy.

Best,

G.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
For me when I had it on my 997S, the best feature was the one touch opening and closing of the top. When you are driving slowly, you can open or close the top by pressing the button, and you don't have to press it down until the top operation is complete. Maybe I'm lazy, but that to me was an excellent feature, especially if you have a manual gearbox.
for this feature and being able to hold the button when you park to raise the top and walk away while it closes, latches and the car locks its worth it. Great mod.
Also you can set for one touch roof down with windows staying down or windows going up. Annoying when you hold the down button and miss by a sec and the windows go partially up.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by geoorlando
Why Smart Top and not this:

http://www.mods4cars.com/

I may be up for a group buy.

Best,

G.
That is the Smart Top
Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
+1

One touch lowering of the top without having to then roll the windows down.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one on my tt and like what it does. Operating the top was slightly frustrating without it.The key-lock beep is nice to have as well.

Install is a 10 minute thing that doesn't require any tools.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

I'm going to see if I can contact mod4cars to see if they'll give us a deal for a group buy. If so, I'll start a new thread with the proper title to get people's interest.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 AM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TBarrow
That is the Smart Top
Thanks. I see that now. I went into the site through the SmartTop.shop link rather than the mods4cars.com. I thought they were two different products but appear to be one and the same.

In addition to being able to remotely raise/lower the top I like the audible chirp for locking the car and arming the alarm.

Best,

G.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I had it on a 996 and really liked it.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

I miss the Smarttop I installed on my 996. Hopefully, they'll go on sale at some point in the future so I can install in my 997TT. Seems like stepping back in time losing the features of one push open / close.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:59 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by babylonboots
I miss the Smarttop I installed on my 996. Hopefully, they'll go on sale at some point in the future so I can install in my 997TT. Seems like stepping back in time losing the features of one push open / close.
I have no affiliation, but https://www.mods4cars.com appears to have them.

I'd be pretty frustrated with the top and windows without it.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo SmartTop