Sponsored by:

Need help inspecting lifters and cam housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need help inspecting lifters and cam housing

Is it possible to manually push in the pin that puts the lifter in high lift? Would like to confirm whether the pin is stuck on each lifter. There seems to be four holes on the sides of the lifter.

I'll replace the lifters because the car is beyond 60k miles. Just looking for some confirmation that we know why it won't go on high lift.

Can't find any cracks in the housing, clogged oil passages, anything wrong with the gasket, or any other odd clues.

I'm sure the p1373 problem is in the cam housing or lifters. When I energize the valve lift solenoids with a 12V battery, bank 1 starts making valve train noises and the fuel trim goes up 10%. Bank 2 does nothing. Cam deviations stay around 2% throughout operating range.

Using a new solenoid and bracket, making sure it's fully seated.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So I figured out which of the 4 holes and applied air pressure there. Lifters lock in high lift as they should and return immediately when pressure is removed. It's the hole nearest the alignment feature that keeps the lifter from rotating in its bore.

Too bad I can't find anything wrong in here. Now I'm thinking spin the engine on the starter with the valve cover removed. With 12V on the solenoid, you should be able to SEE 6 lifters go to high lift.

Ordered all the lifters, chain ramps, gaskets and o-rings.

Will look for a thread how to spin the engine without starting.

Quick Reply: Need help inspecting lifters and cam housing