Sponsored by:

New to me 2008 turbo cab manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:29 PM
exduluthian
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New to me 2008 turbo cab manual

New owner saying Hi. Tl;dr version: 2008 turbo cab, Atlas Grey Metallic over Sea Blue full leather; manual gearbox; 21,000 miles; OE turbo wheels and Champion RG5B wheels, L.A. to Minnesota, wherein the buyer worked a lot harder than the sellers to make the deal!

I bought my first Porsche, a 2002 Carrera cab, about two years ago as a retirement present for myself. It was a very nice car, but its silver over gray color scheme was number six of my top three; the interior seemed cheap; and the original IMS bearing kept me uneasy. I had intended to preemptively replace the bearing but didn’t, as I wasn’t certain I’d keep the car. Then, last fall, I helped my brother-in-law realize his life-long dream by finding him a 2011 911 turbo coupe with a manual transmission and ultra-low miles. One ride in it and I was jealous and hooked, albeit with a lower budget.

I set up searches on all the major sites and, after I waffled too long over a Cosmos Grey car at a dealer and never received a response on a Malachite Green car from a private party, this car showed up on AutoTrader. The miles were low and the car looked perfect, but the price, while low-market, was over my budget. The ad said the car was blue; the VIN said the car was grey. The photos were clearly professionally-shot and from a dealer’s ad, while the listing was from a private party, and the CA car had CO plates. I dithered for a day and finally sent an e-mail asking some basic questions and for current photos. The next day I received a reply: the paint had a bluish cast; the sellers had recently moved from CO to CA; they used the dealer photos because of their quality; they would send current photos; and they would obtain the service information from the dealer.

A day later I received an email with about a dozen current cellphone pics of the car but with the stock turbo wheels instead of the mesh wheels from the dealer pics. Also: they had made a mistake in the pricing and it had gone up $3,000; they had a lot of interest in the car; but they would honor the original list price for me! They did insist upon an in-person transaction, which was one good sign. After a brief but intense internal debate, I sent an email saying I’d buy the car at the original list price contingent on its passing a PPI and having a clean title, and asked for PayPal information to send a binding retainer. I also called to ask some more questions and get a feel for the sellers, but got voicemail.

Two days later, I was assuming the worst. I had received no reply and had not been able to make a down payment, so I was sure the car was gone. Finally, after two more calls and e-mails, I received a response: the sellers had been down with the flu; this was the PayPal address; and where did I want to have the PPI? Whew! In a confidence-building telephone conversation, I confirmed the mesh wheels were still with the car and included in the sale, and the owners would throw in a car cover and cooperate in shipping. After another week of non-communication(!) later attributed to illness, the car passed its PPI with flying colors: it existed, looked well taken care of, ran strong, had no stored faults, didn’t leak, had no dents, a few very minor scratches, and a clear bra. It did have some over revs in ranges 1-3, but very few in 2&3 and none in 4-6; a scuffed air dam; a couple of chafes on the top; and the rear brakes were at 20%. No deal-breakers. A week later we drove up to L.A. from San Diego, where we were vacationing, met the very nice sellers, drove the beautiful-but-dusty car, and completed the transaction.

The sellers stored the car for a few weeks so I could be home when it was delivered; Montway picked up and delivered on time; and my dd spent about two weeks out in the snow and cold until the silver car found a new owner at a bit of a bargain price to open a garage stall. Pics are of the sale ad and as-delivered in MN; it’s under a cover until Minnesota’s eagerly-anticipated spring.

AT ad photo.

CA car meets MN winter.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Looks great. Nice upgrade
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 81 Posts

congrats, love atlas
Old 03-15-2018, 11:07 AM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by exduluthian
New owner saying Hi. Tl;dr version: 2008 turbo cab, Atlas Grey Metallic over Sea Blue full leather; manual gearbox; 21,000 miles; OE turbo wheels and Champion RG5B wheels, L.A. to Minnesota, wherein the buyer worked a lot harder than the sellers to make the deal!

I bought my first Porsche, a 2002 Carrera cab, about two years ago as a retirement present for myself. It was a very nice car, but its silver over gray color scheme was number six of my top three; the interior seemed cheap; and the original IMS bearing kept me uneasy. I had intended to preemptively replace the bearing but didn’t, as I wasn’t certain I’d keep the car. Then, last fall, I helped my brother-in-law realize his life-long dream by finding him a 2011 911 turbo coupe with a manual transmission and ultra-low miles. One ride in it and I was jealous and hooked, albeit with a lower budget.

I set up searches on all the major sites and, after I waffled too long over a Cosmos Grey car at a dealer and never received a response on a Malachite Green car from a private party, this car showed up on AutoTrader. The miles were low and the car looked perfect, but the price, while low-market, was over my budget. The ad said the car was blue; the VIN said the car was grey. The photos were clearly professionally-shot and from a dealer’s ad, while the listing was from a private party, and the CA car had CO plates. I dithered for a day and finally sent an e-mail asking some basic questions and for current photos. The next day I received a reply: the paint had a bluish cast; the sellers had recently moved from CO to CA; they used the dealer photos because of their quality; they would send current photos; and they would obtain the service information from the dealer.

A day later I received an email with about a dozen current cellphone pics of the car but with the stock turbo wheels instead of the mesh wheels from the dealer pics. Also: they had made a mistake in the pricing and it had gone up $3,000; they had a lot of interest in the car; but they would honor the original list price for me! They did insist upon an in-person transaction, which was one good sign. After a brief but intense internal debate, I sent an email saying I’d buy the car at the original list price contingent on its passing a PPI and having a clean title, and asked for PayPal information to send a binding retainer. I also called to ask some more questions and get a feel for the sellers, but got voicemail.

Two days later, I was assuming the worst. I had received no reply and had not been able to make a down payment, so I was sure the car was gone. Finally, after two more calls and e-mails, I received a response: the sellers had been down with the flu; this was the PayPal address; and where did I want to have the PPI? Whew! In a confidence-building telephone conversation, I confirmed the mesh wheels were still with the car and included in the sale, and the owners would throw in a car cover and cooperate in shipping. After another week of non-communication(!) later attributed to illness, the car passed its PPI with flying colors: it existed, looked well taken care of, ran strong, had no stored faults, didn’t leak, had no dents, a few very minor scratches, and a clear bra. It did have some over revs in ranges 1-3, but very few in 2&3 and none in 4-6; a scuffed air dam; a couple of chafes on the top; and the rear brakes were at 20%. No deal-breakers. A week later we drove up to L.A. from San Diego, where we were vacationing, met the very nice sellers, drove the beautiful-but-dusty car, and completed the transaction.

The sellers stored the car for a few weeks so I could be home when it was delivered; Montway picked up and delivered on time; and my dd spent about two weeks out in the snow and cold until the silver car found a new owner at a bit of a bargain price to open a garage stall. Pics are of the sale ad and as-delivered in MN; it’s under a cover until Minnesota’s eagerly-anticipated spring.

AT ad photo.

CA car meets MN winter.
Very nice
congrats
bill

Quick Reply: New to me 2008 turbo cab manual