Sponsored by:

No Substitute for Boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Substitute for Boost

In hopes that someone might find my experience helpful , here's my brief story :
Picked up an 07 997TT coupe with tip last January , and went through the coolant dump , engine out deal. Didn't make me love the car any less . Kevin's tune made her run better, safer, and eliminated the chronic random misfire codes every week that the dealer couldn't explain. I planned on an EP1 eventually to make her sound as wicked as she was. Heart pounding acceleration, and one of the most beautiful cars on the road in my opinion. Drove it without a warranty for a year and had some little things come up that I fixed . Did brakes and maintenance myself. Then AC went out, then a trans and oil leak. Needed a set of rears. Went on a train of thought to "upgrade" and made me think I should switch to a newer car with a warranty. Newer TT was not in the budget .
I stopped into the Pcar dealer and left with a CPO 991.1S with 7speed that was pretty damn nice on 2 separate 1/2 hour test drives. Got a fair price for the turbo as a trade.
Fast forward 1200 miles and a month later. The 991S was not near as special as my 997TT even with a tip and 81k on her clock. Didn't like the electric assisted steering feel . Yes it felt like a Lexus. It was a noticeably bigger car with bulbous headlamps. The updated PCM and interior was nice. The PSE sounded awesome. But there was no boost. Winding her up to 7500 rpms to make her pull was fun. But there was no boost. Had her a month and didn't wash it til the day I sold it back to them . The Aerokit Cup was cool , but doesn't belong on a newer car unless it can do a sub 4 second 0-60 IMHO. Did I mention there was no boost ?
Took the 991 back yesterday and was given 3k less than I paid. ( + the sales tax obviously) Could have been a lot worse.

That's my story for what its worth. Going to have an empty garage for now and enjoy some other hobbies this year. Next fun car will most likely be a 997.2 TTS . Nothing looks, feels, nor handles like a wide body all wheel drive 911 with twin Turbos. Until then- happy motoring . I wasn't very involved here , but this site was full of nice people , incredible cars ,and tons of info. I will get into a 4th 911 someday and be back.

Thank you

Lou
Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Nice. Might want to try a turbo S, if you liked auto.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:50 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve had several 996 Turbos, 997GT3, and now a 997.2TT Loaded and M so far very satisfied with this new beast and am a big fan of the the PDK!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve had several 996 Turbos, 997GT3, and now a 997.2TT Loaded and M so far very satisfied with this new beast and am a big fan of the the PDK!

Quick Reply: No Substitute for Boost