Scam Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:26 AM
i<3wheat
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Scam Dealership?

http://alpinemotorsnm.com/listing/46...che-911-turbo/

Looked it up on street view and something about it just doesn't quite look like an exotics dealership.

What should I expect to pay for a manual 997 Turbo these days?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:20 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless it has an accident history or something else is wrong with it, that price is suspiciously low, these are usually listed for 70+
Old 03-11-2018, 12:27 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This one has gone thru this before, I believe a forum member chimed in and said he currently owns this car!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ual-gem-2.html
Old 03-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

It's a scam set up by some fool in Eastern Europe. His MO is to locate legit, small podunk used car dealerships in out of the way places. These are REAL dealerships. Then he gets the owner information from state databases, then he spoofs the number. When you call you get this guy with an American sounding name but with a heavy accent. He'll tell you all about the car, and since it is usually in a remote place, you'll never see it. He's hoping for a sight unseen deal.

I have seen this same car listed many times before.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. This has been circulated As a scam for years now. Same photos I have seen it listed as other dealer names. Price is always at $55k too
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
It's a scam set up by some fool in Eastern Europe. His MO is to locate legit, small podunk used car dealerships in out of the way places. These are REAL dealerships. Then he gets the owner information from state databases, then he spoofs the number. When you call you get this guy with an American sounding name but with a heavy accent. He'll tell you all about the car, and since it is usually in a remote place, you'll never see it. He's hoping for a sight unseen deal.

I have seen this same car listed many times before.
Yep, this is exactly the scam. And this guy (guys?) has been doing it for at least 6 months. I have seen him do this four times. The first time I saw it, I thought I'd hit the jackpot as he'd picked Farmington, New Mexico for his supposed place of business, and I have a brother who lives there and could help me move quick. I called the number and asked for the Hispanic-named dealer. When a guy with an Eastern European accent said he was the guy, I knew it was a scam. He even goes to the trouble of setting up fake websites with fake reviews, and typically lists several nice cars simultaneously to make the most of his efforts. If you search the history of the supposed dealer website, you will find that they are typically registered in some foreign country and were only recently set up (not congruent with some podunk town in the US).

Also, I found that sites like Autotrader and CarGurus wouldn't let you immediately report a fraud. You had to wait a week or so - - they should change that.

It's a shame that guys with actual skills will go to such lengths to scam folks. I hope Karma gets them.

Quick Reply: Scam Dealership?