Do I Need a DSC Controller? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Do I Need a DSC Controller?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:05 PM
campbellcj
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it's a fantastic, worthwhile improvement and definitely recommend it. I have an earlier box I had upgraded to the later firmware version, but I haven't played with the customization capabilities yet.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:09 PM
austx911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

You well definitely notice an improvement even driving on the street. DSC is one of my top three favorite mods. It will help on the track but more suspension mods are needed for frequent track duty.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Brainz
Addict
Rennlist Member

New 997TT owner here. Stock suspension feel is disappointing coming from a well tuned 997S. Stock TT is either too bouncy or too harsh (on sport). DSC is a must for 997TT in my opinion - - really transforms the way the car feels. Much more planted, better damped AND comfortable, which is impressive (and sport is easily tolerable as a daily setting). I'm currently running the base map, which is great for street, but I may swap to one the firmer maps (or eventually make my own for the sport setting). Love the flexibility.

Although I bought mine used, I'm not sure why anyone would ever sell their DSC unless they wanted a more track focused setup and were ditching the PASM shocks. Cobb and DSC are best bang for the buck hands down. And if you disagree, you can resell either easily.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Whosdady
Addict
Rennlist Member

Iím happy with my DSC. Make sure to get the upgraded version or the light on the dash will flash. The car will handle better/ be more comfortable on the street and do better on the track. Obviously coilovers will do better on the track but this is the next best thing.

IMHO it rides like the 991 with the module.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:50 PM
4ocious
Addict
Rennlist Member

The unit I'm purchasing was used in a 997.2 C2S with PASM. He installed it in February 2017. He sold his car recently and no longer needs it. I'm a little curious though. He says it's V1 and when I look at the TPC website it's the correct version. Yet, when I dig a little deeper they refer to a V3. I'm going to call TPC tomorrow to ensure I have the latest version. But, if anyone knows please chime in.

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Tom-TPC Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
The unit I'm purchasing was used in a 997.2 C2S and PASM. He installed it in February 2017. He sold his car and no longer needs it. I'm a little curious though. He says it's a V1 and when I look at the TPC website it's the correct version. Yet, when I dig a little deeper they refer to a V3. I'm going to call TPC tomorrow to ensure I have the latest version. But, if anyone knows please chime in.
All 997 cars use DSC V1 controller.
V2/V3 are for 991/981, Ford GT350, and GM Corvette and Camaro.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Rambler_13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5 View Post

Quick in the classifieds, that’s what I find confusing. I don’t see Europipes in the classifieds, Dension, or other proven aftermarket parts. No thanks, skipping the DSC hype. If it was that good people wouldn’t be selling them often.
This is not why they sell fast, you completely misinterpreted my post. They sell fast because people want them not because sellers are quickly disappointed. If they are for sale, it's usually because the seller has sold the car and is selling the unit separately. It has nothing to do with buying and unloading quickly because of disappointment or "hype."
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 AM
cyclrder
User

The module has been one of my favorite mods after the Cobb if not the best... One weekend I had taken my wife and kids up to New Caanan for the coffee and carburetor event last summer. After getting back, I had really decided that the trip was as about as exhausting as if I had ridden my motorcycle up there from Brooklyn.

I had seen one of the detailed threads about the DSC and became interested. Albeit it was discussing more a track focused application (with a TT guy running with if not ahead of GT/RS cars on the track), so I decided to take the plunge. It took about 6 minutes to install... and within a 100ft of going around the block here in Brooklyn and I was sold (and that is at 40MPH on crappy city streets). The car is soo much more comfortable in just everyday driving. But when you get on it, the response is immediate and the car simply performs. I do not track my car and I haven't really had the chance to ring it out on more open roads.. but it certainly feels much better than stock and I can only expect it to excel in everyway. (and this is in the standard setting as I haven't been in a situation where I can utilize the Sport setting).
The car's bandwith from being compliant, body roll, and anti dive have all been expanded twice fold.

I think that the R&D that TPC racing put into this out of the box is spot on and if you want to make changes.. it appears that you can tune it anyway that you want.
Every TT owner should install one of these as it really brings the OEM suspension onto a whole different level.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:03 PM
4ocious
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your posts and advice. I bought and installed my DSC.

My TTS rides like a tank without a tread. It's bone-jarring and borders on uncomfortable. I suspected my suspension was modified so that's why I wanted a DSC. Well, the DSC helps but not very much. It turns out the previous owner installed lowering springs that cause a very rough bumpy ride. At first I thought my bumpy ride was caused by cold Bridgestone N2's which ride rough until they heat up but I've ruled that out because my car handles like it's on rails cold or hot. I may eventually track my car so the suspension mods may/may not be a good thing.

According to my mechanic my springs have two coils and are not factory. Can anyone tell me how many OEM coils a TT or TTS comes with? And, any idea who manufactures lowering springs with two coils?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Whosdady
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your posts and advice. I bought and installed my DSC.

My TTS rides like a tank without a tread. It's bone-jarring and borders on uncomfortable. I suspected my suspension was modified so that's why I wanted a DSC. Well, the DSC helps but not very much. It turns out the previous owner installed lowering springs that cause a very rough bumpy ride. At first I thought my bumpy ride was caused by cold Bridgestone N2's which ride rough until they heat up but I've ruled that out because my car handles like it's on rails cold or hot. I may eventually track my car so the suspension mods may/may not be a good thing.

According to my mechanic my springs have two coils and are not factory. Can anyone tell me how many OEM coils a TT or TTS comes with? And, any idea who manufactures lowering springs with two coils?
There are several brands. If you post pics we might be able to tell you. Iím surprised the dsc didnít help you very much? Did you get the new firmware update?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:08 PM
4ocious
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whosdady View Post

There are several brands. If you post pics we might be able to tell you. I’m surprised the dsc didn’t help you very much? Did you get the new firmware update?

Yes, the unit was previously installed in 2/17 so I assume it's the updated version. When switched it does display normal and sport modes which I believe is the latest firmware update. I'll also try to get some pictures of the springs.

Bottom line, although the DSC does make my ride a little smoother I'm not sure it helps that much with other than a stock OEM suspension. And BTW, because I'm not mechanically inclined (at all) it took me a lot longer than 10-15 minutes to remove my PASM controller and I couldn't re-install the DSC. That's when I took it to my local Porsche mechanic who also struggled with it. Perhaps there's a hardware difference between a TT and TTS which I doubt but it was a PITA for a novice like me. But for those of you who are much better at this than I am it may be a simple R&R. At least I hope so.

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-17-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Whosdady
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, the unit was previously installed in 2/17 so I assume it's the updated version. When switched it does display normal and sport modes which I believe is the latest firmware update. I'll also try to get some pictures of the springs.

Bottom line, although the DSC does make my ride a little smoother I'm not sure it helps that much with other than a stock OEM suspension. And BTW, because I'm not mechanically inclined (at all) it took me a lot longer than 10-15 minutes to remove my PASM controller and I couldn't re-install the DSC. That's when I took it to my local Porsche mechanic who also struggled with it. Perhaps there's a hardware difference between a TT and TTS which I doubt but it was a PITA for a novice like me. But for those of you who are much better at this than I am it may be a simple R&R. At least I hope so.
If the dash doesnít flash, then you have the latest one. The lower the car is, the tougher it rides is the general consensus.

I have a TTS with the dsc module, stock suspension and cup 2 tires. It rides very comfortable, especially for a sports car. Besides the type of tire, the pressure makes a difference. The higher the pressure, the rougher it is.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:12 AM
Dodaleca
User

Duplicate - see below

Last edited by Dodaleca; 03-18-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Dodaleca
User

You could change the tuning parameters with the software to better match your non- stock suspension.

Maybe something on the TPC website would be a better match than the original tuning put into the DSC. Possibly Tom or someone at TPC could point you in the right direction as to what the parameters should be for the way your car is set up.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:27 AM
JG 996T
Addict
Rennlist Member

You’re not the only one that it took longer than 15 minutes to install.
i bet the harshness is coming from the springs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I Need a DSC Controller?

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: