Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Poll: 997.2 Turbo S exhaust choice (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1055791-poll-997-2-turbo-s-exhaust-choice.html)

Turbo Racer 03-08-2018 10:25 PM

Poll: 997.2 Turbo S exhaust choice

Hi everyone!I just got my new turbo S to me and I love it! I am currently trying to decide on whether not I should add an aftermarket exhaust. I’ve done a lot of searches and reviewed tons of threads on the subject and have talked to a few people already but I want to put it out there for the board to see what people think. I have thought that I have never down to either a car graphic loud exhaust or a euro pipe exhaust. So I decided to post a pool with the choices of cartographic, euro pipe, leave it stock, or something else. What do you golfing?

Rambler_13 03-08-2018 11:49 PM

After listening endlessly to sound clips and wanting to stay catted, I went with the AWE 3" exhaust. I just ordered it and delivery is a few weeks out.

TBarrow 03-09-2018 12:13 AM

I have 200 cell cats and Tubi Street Exhaust. I really like it.

650kid 03-09-2018 08:27 AM

I have AWE 3” and could not be happier. Top notch quality, top notch sound. Also gives you optionality should you want to go catless at any point or use stock tips.

quattrodoc 03-09-2018 10:05 AM

I went with FVD Loud on mine. Very happy with it.... Rhonda is great if you have any questions as well

cyclrder 03-09-2018 04:32 PM

Mine came with a full Fabspeed system... it is fine but I think I would do the sharkwerks system....

but it while you are deciding... go and add the DSC suspension module.... 5 min DIY. Install and all the difference in the world...same with a COBB.

Whosdady 03-09-2018 07:01 PM

I currently have a BBI with high flow cats and love it. Prior to that I had the FVD and liked it as well. Sounds much deeper than stock with some added power. The nice thing about it was, I got to keep my oem cats and tips.

I still have my fvd exhaust and will likely put it up for sale in a couple of weeks if interested.

Turbo Racer 03-09-2018 07:53 PM

Great feedback everyone. Looking forward to hearing more. What do you like/don’t like etc? Is there drone? Are you running stock or modded ecu?

butzigear 03-09-2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by gbooth (Post 14858761)
Great feedback everyone. Looking forward to hearing more. What do you like/don’t like etc? Is there drone? Are you running stock or modded ecu?

congrats on the new ride! Great reaponses, there are so many great options for the 997TT. If you have a chance take a look at Kline exhausts. They have a few different combos for the 997TT and can fine tune the sound profile from sporty to medium to full blown aggressive. With careful combinations of pipe diameter, cats, mufflers, x pipes etc we can minimize drone and keep the exhaust tame and FREE a flowing! Depending on what you are looking for we can pretty much make a perfect set up. I can also set you up with some custom tuning and supporting mods as well as answer any of your questions. Please feel free to contact me, I’d love to discuss and help you out.

Turbo Racer 03-10-2018 10:03 PM

I will definitely look into that. I would ideally like to hear the exhausts in person.

Rambler_13 03-10-2018 11:38 PM

OP, keep in mind too that as you get recommendations or listen to sound clips, make sure they are for the 997.2 as the 9A1 sounds notably different than the Mezger. In other words, exhaust A may sound great with the Mezger but meh with the 9A1, or vice versa.

What's Next? 03-11-2018 03:03 AM

Check out Speedtech exhausts they sound great

butzigear 03-11-2018 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by gbooth (Post 14860931)
I will definitely look into that. I would ideally like to hear the exhausts in person.

Feel free to shoot me a message with your location and I’ll go through my contacts and network to see who’s in your area with which exhaust so you can potentially listen to a couple first hand. I’ll also send you some links to setups I’ve worked with. As far as 997.2 the last car I had at the shop had a BBI set up on it as well as bigger turbos and it sounded badass.

D.Kinsey 03-11-2018 06:55 PM

Speedtech is pretty damn nice, sounds great and looks great! I'm always being asked about it.

onefastman 03-11-2018 07:09 PM

On my last 997.2 turbo I had a 3” catless speedtech and loved it!

my current car came with a full (headers) catless IPE system.

For daily driving the valves are really, really nice to have.

Id pick up the used unit on 6 speed if I were you.

bmwtmx 03-12-2018 10:25 PM

I have had most of the exhausts on this list in my 997TT or my 996TT and GT2. I have had loud and catless but the loud ones I installed had nasty drones and got annoying. Catless didn't seem to improve performance much and I hated myself for driving without them. I don't think any really make bad noise but but some are made like crap and you question that. My favorite is my current Kline exhaust in quiet with 3" cats (I think). It has no drone at all and makes great noise when revving. It is almost disappointingly quiet at low speeds but I think that is me just getting used to it. It looks like a high quality piece as well.

Turbo Racer 03-12-2018 10:56 PM

All great info. I have a gt3rs that I did cross pipes on and that is intoxicating when rpm is greater than 4000. I’m looking for something similar to that. I will need to run a catted system because I’m in California. At this point, I’m going to try and listen to a few and see what I like. As a previous poster mentioned. The 9A1 engine sounds different and I want to make the exhaust tone match the amazing power of the car

etchhead 03-13-2018 12:14 AM

I just received my new to me 2010 Turbo (bought sight unseen) and am absolutely loving the car and performance. I was told the car was Stock and was surprised that it sounded so good after reading all of the reviews on exhausts and need to upgrade. I crawled under the car and noticed it had the Sharkwerks post cat System with Stock tips. It’s nothing like my GT3 or GT350R, but his is supposed to be a different kind of car.

At at some point in near future I’ll be doing a few DEs and suspect the OEM cats will rob some power, but I’m Stock tune (for now) and want just stretch her legs a bit.

Turbo Racer 03-13-2018 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by etchhead (Post 14865467)
I just received my new to me 2010 Turbo (bought sight unseen) and am absolutely loving the car and performance. I was told the car was Stock and was surprised that it sounded so good after reading all of the reviews on exhausts and need to upgrade. I crawled under the car and noticed it had the Sharkwerks post cat System with Stock tips. It’s nothing like my GT3 or GT350R, but his is supposed to be a different kind of car.

At at some point in near future I’ll be doing a few DEs and suspect the OEM cats will rob some power, but I’m Stock tune (for now) and want just stretch her legs a bit.

congrats on the new car! Mine came to me and we can go. So I am in the same boat as you. Did my first driving experience and have a really great time. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. Cheers!

gogoevo 03-13-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by D.Kinsey (Post 14862377)
Speedtech is pretty damn nice, sounds great and looks great! I'm always being asked about it.

This - and reasonably priced as well.

butzigear 03-13-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by etchhead (Post 14865467)

They do sound amazing, especially when they are opened up some. As far as stock cats, they are the bottleneck in these cars and more so on the 991s. For all out performance sport cats or catless would be the way to go. You would need to do these mods in conjunction with a properly matched cat back to keep the sound levels manageable. There are a few combinations you could run for optimal performance and aggressive sound - without going overboard and keeping it enjoyable (/amazing). Here is a shot of a Kline exhaust sent in by my client Robby in AL. We went with a catless set up with mufflers to give a medium semi-aggressive sound, great power/response with no drone. He's loving it! Next is a custom tune to match the exhaust and intake mods (in his near future).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cef0c315f5.jpg

WheelsB 03-14-2018 03:05 PM

I would take one good look & listen to this 997 Turbo iPE exhaust and try to locate one near you in Cali because the sounds is beyond words.

+28 hp and + 14 ft-lbs of torque aren't too bad either. Contact me directly for more details.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ee30958767.jpg

onefastman 03-14-2018 04:52 PM

Here you go.

I bet you could get a good deal on it. I absolutely love mine, the ability to have 4 different sound levels (valves open/closed & sport mode on/off) is just perfect.

Also, don’t hesitate to go used. They are well made and it’s not like the metal is going to wear out!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-2-turbo.html

Originally Posted by WheelsB (Post 14869257)
I would take one good look & listen to this 997 Turbo iPE exhaust and try to locate one near you in Cali because the sounds is beyond words.

+28 hp and + 14 ft-lbs of torque aren't too bad either. Contact me directly for more details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grF0hB8CDYM

Rambler_13 03-15-2018 01:02 AM

That iPE sounds great, I would definitely consider that new or used. Exhaust sound is such a personal preference, this was the video that sold me on the AWE that I currently have on order.

Turbo Racer 03-15-2018 01:10 AM

Sounds great! Love hearing your reviews. Keep ‘me coming!

John D II 03-15-2018 10:19 AM

Here is a customer supplied video of the SpeedTech 997.2TT 3.0 catless X-Pipe w/ SpeedTech full 3" dual tips

o7silverturbo 03-15-2018 10:48 AM

Just go straight pipes no cats....let the people hear the music

Jedi 03-15-2018 01:21 PM

Would like to hear Turbo S with Cats and the 2 1/2 inch crossover

Turbo Racer 03-16-2018 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jedi (Post 14871415)
Would like to hear Turbo S with Cats and the 2 1/2 inch crossover

me too

John D II 03-16-2018 10:56 AM

Here is a video of a SpeedTech 2.5" X-Flow system. It is just slightly louder than OEM, which is why most customers choose a 3" system. If all you desire is a slight increase in sound with improved sound "quality" or tone, then the 2.5" X-Pipe is the right choice for you....

Turbo Racer 03-17-2018 04:25 AM

Thanks!

AutoQuest Motorsports 03-19-2018 10:42 AM

The two best sounding 997.2 Turbo exhaust systems that I've heard for the 997.2 Turbo is the Fabspeed Supersport X-Pipe and the Kline Inconel System. The Fabspeed being a bit more on the aggressive side from what I recall. Both had little to no resonance at cruising speed on the 997.2, and really woke the car up at full throttle.

Soul Performance 03-20-2018 03:56 PM

We're looking forward to offering a quad resonated 3" solution next month!

John@Fabspeed 03-20-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by gbooth (Post 14856790)
Hi everyone!I just got my new turbo S to me and I love it! I am currently trying to decide on whether not I should add an aftermarket exhaust. I’ve done a lot of searches and reviewed tons of threads on the subject and have talked to a few people already but I want to put it out there for the board to see what people think. I have thought that I have never down to either a car graphic loud exhaust or a euro pipe exhaust. So I decided to post a pool with the choices of cartographic, euro pipe, leave it stock, or something else. What do you golfing?

Congrats on the .2 Turbo S!

Check out our Supersport X-Pipe - available with either HJS 200 Cell Sport Cats or as a Catbypass option and with Polished or Black Chrome tips.

Install is by way of direct bolt-on replacement with no cutting/welding required.

As John mentioned, it is an aggressive set-up but the nice thing is little to no drone and noticeable power improvements.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...32e8d3e79.jpeg

Feel free to shoot me a PM with questions or for forum pricing :cheers:

Turbo Racer 03-24-2018 12:31 PM

Thanks for all of your input on this topic guys. I’m almost cringing while I write this but I have decided to leave it stock...for the moment. I finally got a car that my family can fit in and they like the quiet car. I already have a system on my other car and the missus will barely get in it lol. At any rate, I will continue to enjoy the car and it’s seemingly endless torque and power. It’s just a blast to drive and having a couple of trips to Malibu a week is definitely helping. Cheers!

JG 996T 03-24-2018 01:11 PM

.2 - you can also look at sharkwerks.

I have cargraphic and I like it.

John D II 09-19-2018 04:09 AM

We recently built this special order, custom 997.2TT 3.0 X-Pipe with HJS cats for a customer. He wanted our 3" dual tips, but with 4" polished skins and he also wanted them to fit with our cats. Since upgrading our 997 turbo systems to 5+" cats, the dual tips on the 997.2TT have only fit the catless RACE version, as the cones interfered with the full 3" tip clearance. The challenge we accepted was to re-design the 997.2TT cat cones to allow the full 3" tips to fit AND additionally, fabricate 4" OD tips for a very close tolerance fit of the bumper cut-out, without a test car in house to verify fitment...After a little preliminary analysis with our jig, we felt it was a go and took the order.

Yesterday, I received an email that the system arrived and the car was going in today for the installation. I was a little nervous about the tip fitment, but cautiously optimistic. Today, I received the following email:

John,I just spoke to the guy at my shop. Said the tips just barely fit, but they fit and the exhaust and tips are straight and level. He said it sounds terrific. I pick it up in about an hour and one half. He mentioned how impressed he is with the welding, materials and construction. Thanks. B

As a result of this project, for anyone interested, we are now able to offer full 3" dual tips with catted 997.2TT systems, no longer just the catless version. Our web page will be updated shortly...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...1f96329021.jpg

brucejoanne 09-20-2018 05:04 PM

I have the 1st all 3" system with CATS

Originally Posted by John D II (Post 15301379)
We recently built this special order, custom 997.2TT 3.0 X-Pipe with HJS cats for a customer. He wanted our 3" dual tips, but with 4" polished skins and he also wanted them to fit with our cats. Since upgrading our 997 turbo systems to 5+" cats, the dual tips on the 997.2TT have only fit the catless RACE version, as the cones interfered with the full 3" tip clearance. The challenge we accepted was to re-design the 997.2TT cat cones to allow the full 3" tips to fit AND additionally, fabricate 4" OD tips for a very close tolerance fit of the bumper cut-out, without a test car in house to verify fitment...After a little preliminary analysis with our jig, we felt it was a go and took the order.

Yesterday, I received an email that the system arrived and the car was going in today for the installation. I was a little nervous about the tip fitment, but cautiously optimistic. Today, I received the following email:

John,I just spoke to the guy at my shop. Said the tips just barely fit, but they fit and the exhaust and tips are straight and level. He said it sounds terrific. I pick it up in about an hour and one half. He mentioned how impressed he is with the welding, materials and construction. Thanks. B

As a result of this project, for anyone interested, we are now able to offer full 3" dual tips with catted 997.2TT systems, no longer just the catless version. Our web page will be updated shortly...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...1f96329021.jpg

The SpeedTech exhaust system you see above is on my 2011 TT, it looks better in person and on the car - the dual wall tips are unique and beautiful. The sound level is what I feel is perfect. I have owned many other exhaust systems from Akro, Borla, Magnaflow, IPE and the SpeedTech system is the best sounding - with 1st class materials and workmanship. John is wonderful to work with. I never went more than 2 to 3 hours without a return message on any question or idea I had. The sound of the OEM exhaust system has always been a disappointment. I did extensive research before I decided upon SpeedTech. My car now sounds like a high end sports car should. This may sound strange, but the driving experience has completely changed with the new sound. I can still listen to the radio and have a conversation. The background exhaust sound is there, but not overbearing unless you get aggressive - then it screams! I do notice I increase my speed, just to hear the sound, so care is needed and an eye on the speedo. Remember when you were a kid and put playing cards with clothes pins on your bike to get a macho sound. Well, my car sound now gives me that special feeling I remember as a kid. It just makes our special Porsche more fun to drive!

Bruce in Scottsdale, Arizona