Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911TT vs Model S

Old 03-05-2018, 12:14 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 911TT vs Model S

I had an opportunity the other day to learn just how much better the Model S is than my 09 Turbo. I was so grateful to hear from the 35 year old that just moved back in with his parents all the reasons why the Tesla is just so much better. At no point did I ask for this automotive education, but I received it just the same. And, while I would love to share all of this info with all of you rennlist readers, I fear it would cause a market crash due to all of the 911TTs that would quickly flood the market in search of a superior car.
While I handled the situation with grace and dignity, I wanted to just laugh in his face. Yes, there are some technological advancements in the Model S that embarrass any 2009 MY car, but comparing these two vehicles is simply a joke from a driving experience and feel.
Just a simple story to try and make you all laugh and smile. Happy Monday.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow,,,I think at the point when you mentioned the 35 year old moving back in with the folks, I smelled supergeneus. Lol. Obviously in a straight line some of those cars are faster and for the uninformed, that is a great drive. However, the intangibles, like drivers experience and engagement, have so much more to add to the overall ownership experience. I think that taking the cars out on a twisty Canyon Road for just a few minutes will easily identify the different kind of experience. However, that said, most people who drive teslas seem to have similar interests in cars like the Prius, which in my humble opinion is easily one of the worst, no I won’t say worst but it just doesn’t seem like a real car, outcomes in recent history. I think that the model S was a great innovation because it actually allowed people to envision driving an electric car without having to drive a Prius. Other than that, I think it’s just a starting place or a place holder for what is yet to come with some really awesome electronic or hybrid vehicles that will come out in the next few years.That being said, I think that for my ear, I love to experience it through the exhaust, and that coupled with a little bit of gasoline, and that coupled with the thrust in the seat of my chest from awesome acceleration, and the feel of the wheel as you tear into a sharp corner, and the vibration of the car over The asphalt as you drift towards the next straightaway, as you…….You can see where I’m going here. I am a true believer and some fancy electronic golf cart is not going to change my mind. Cheers to all and please no flames. It’s a happy Monday and I am just enjoying a little tongue-in-cheek and fun for the work week.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Matt.A
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure that Teslas probably have much nicer cup holder. But, can you steer them with the throttle?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The model S is a great car but falls short of a 911 TTS on several levels. Of course most of these relate to preference. For example, do you plan to the modify the car? Do you like being unique? Do you want it to handle well? Do you like the sound of a real motor? Do you want the car to go over 150 mph? Do you want a heavy sedan or a nimble sports car? The list goes on but they are very different cars.

Personally, I think the looks of the model S are boring. And to make matters worse, there is very little devation in appearance over the last five years. I see 2-3 white Tesla Model S cars a day. Are they fast from 0-60, yes. Is it faster 0-60 than my modded 997.2 TTS, no. Would I buy a model S as a second car? No, purely based on their looks.

But again, it’s all about preference. If you like the way it looks and are looking for a sedan it is definitly a choice to consider...
Old 03-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I happen to like the Tesla Model S, although it doesn't compare well to an Porsche 911 Turbo. It's an apples to oranges comparison. I think it's more appropriate to compare it to a Panamera Turbo S, and even then it's a stretch. The Tesla philosophy of making an electric car without compromising range or performance is great. I think we will continue to see rapid development in the electric car arena. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming Tesla Roadster does in competition with traditional sports cars in the same price range, like Ferraris and Lamborghinis. The buyers in this range certainly want performance and acceleration, but they buy cars for many other reasons too.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:55 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I had one over the weekend telling how much faster his Tesla was than my 997.2 TT. I looked at him and said ok lets race to California and see who gets there first. He walked away.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TBarrow
I had one over the weekend telling how much faster his Tesla was than my 997.2 TT. I looked at him and said ok lets race to California and see who gets there first. He walked away.
Fast charger is what 15 mins? They keep on bragging how fast their car is. Put it in track.
I love innovation but those interiors are cheap looking.
My 6 yo S-Class has better interiors than an S.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TBarrow
lol you should ran him from a roll. You would actually win after 124 mph. Even against a p100d. Tesla drivers some are just too cocky.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:43 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have both. Totally different cars, driving experience or pleasures. Two completely different approaches. Both the result of incredibly thoughtful engineering. Not comparable.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwu
lol you should ran him from a roll. You would actually win after 124 mph. Even against a p100d. Tesla drivers some are just too cocky.
Or around a track...

My plan for a while has been to eventually have one of each. The 997tt for fun, and the Model S as the family car (and also fun...) As more electric and hybrid performance cars are coming out and being announced though, I'm starting to think I might wait a bit longer and go for something with a nicer interior and better quality control. Also not crazy about Tesla's tracking and anti-DIY. Haven't ruled out the Model S entirely yet though. (Although right now, our small children beat up on our old 5-series so much, I wouldn't want to replace it with something nicer...)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:40 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I got bored and clouded over at the word Tesla to be honest.
I don't care how fast they they, or how big the screen is in the dash, or the fact it might help change weather patterns sorry. They are electric and as boring as the name suggests.
Maybe one day I'll change, but right now I'd never buy an electric car.
On top of that they cost way to much for something without a real motor.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:27 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
I don't care how fast they they, or how big the screen is in the dash, or the fact it might help change weather patterns sorry. They are electric and as boring as the name suggests.
I enjoy an exhaust note as much as anyone here (as you know, having seen my video!) but I see it in the same light as the manual transmission—it's fun, but it's not the future. I'm pretty confident it won't be long before electric cars are superior in every objective measure (save possibly fill-up time, but IMO the ability to fill at home more than compensates for that). They're not there yet, but it's early. And yeah, the impacts of climate change are only going to grow for the foreseeable future—one person's car choice obviously isn't going to move the needle there, but hopefully as electrics become the norm it will to some extent. If that can happen without sacrificing performance, so much the better!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 AM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Old 03-06-2018, 09:44 AM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nah..
You won't change.
Tip: Try to rehearse "you damn kids get off my lawn!"
My sense it may come in handy relatively soon.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Right! Glad I'm not alone. I respect the technology in the Tesla's but I wouldn't get one (now). It does nothing for me when I look at one inside or out. It doesn't tug on me in the middle of the night with the words "OMG - BUY ME!".

On the other hand, my 911 Turbo S did. I dreamed about it, thought about it lustfully, constantly, till I got one.

Same with my new sedan. I looked at Teslas. Friends said I should get one, but it didn't call to me like the new MB S63 did. I couldn't stop thinking about it and every time I get in it now, I still get goosebumps.

Hey, if a Tesla screams at you ... OMG, BUY ME! Then, of course, get one. I much preferred the interior and exterior of my new sedan over the Tesla, fossil fuels be damned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911TT vs Model S