Sponsored by:

DME - Not good news for me

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:14 AM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
There also has to be a way of changing these numbers in the computer...kind of like turning back mileage
only way is to change the ECU out ..... Thought about doing that for a millisecond - then figured it would be a dick move and don't want to deceive a potential buyer ..

Waiting on the oil and leak down tests and will post the info ....

I appreciate all the info ....
Old 03-07-2018, 12:21 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm sure everything will be perfect.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:18 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by triplenet
only way is to change the ECU out ..... Thought about doing that for a millisecond - then figured it would be a dick move and don't want to deceive a potential buyer ..

Waiting on the oil and leak down tests and will post the info ....

I appreciate all the info ....
yeah if you have a leak down issue you would know....bad rings,head gasket, valves etc. If you car is running well im sure its fine
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Buying a used car in general is a huge gamble, Carfax, paint meter readings, over rev reports, PPI to check for suspension and mechanical issues. I am sure the majority of those not on Rennlist walk into a Porsche dealer and buy a car without thinking and enjoy the car. Now for people like us we are way more analytical and take all of these aspects into account and drive ourselves nuts. However, I think it is the overall big picture of a car. If a car had overrevs, yet it was a long time ago, PPI checked out (which yours did) and there were service records, I would see no reason for the potential buyer not to pursue the car and purchase it. Only issue that will come on down the line is someone asking him these same questions that he is asking you.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Only issue that will come on down the line is someone asking him these same questions that he is asking you.
Yep, I think that will be most people's concern. It's self-perpetuating! So it's always going to mean a bit of a discount off an identical car without the over-revs. (And of course will rule out some buyers competely.) But if the engine actually is fine, then with the right testing and documentation it shouldn't be too extreme.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:56 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

The ecu over rev data can be removed and other data writtenin its place. Ask around, specifically the tuners that are based in Europe. I remember one such tuner recommending this for just a few hundred bucks. That is why I disregard any readings from a used car specially 07-09. Buyer beware. 1. I never did it because the ECU would have to be sent in. 2. Never plan on selling my car anyway. But make no mistake about it, if you think in this era of data manipulation one can trust any Porsche used car to be true, you are a fool.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:03 PM
triplenet
Pro

Oil came back..... All good ....

doing a leak down now .....

:-)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Maybe it's a good idea to request a DME readout each time our cars are in for service just to have a paper trail in case sudden, strange readings start showing up. Sure it's not foolproof (especially if the data can truly be re-written), but it serves as another data point to support that everything was chronological like with mileage. Could be overkill but at least if strange readings show up and you know nothing should have been abnormal, you could point to the most recent readout before that as evidence that it was an anomaly. Probably better than having no previous readout or one that's several years old at which point there's not much you can do to convince someone that the readout is incorrect.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:38 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's true the ecu is easily overwritten, about $250.
id recommend the foxwell hand held unit which can read over revs, about 125$.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:39 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
It's true the ecu is easily overwritten, about $250.
id recommend the foxwell hand held unit which can read over revs, about 125$.

Huh. For $125 it might be a good idea to pick one up and check before and after the car's out of your hands (ie for servicing). Will it also reset the service timer (for self-oil changes)?

Edit: looks like it will. Looks like the NT510, which appears to have the most features, is $179: http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale...e-and-obd.html
Old 03-09-2018, 12:46 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by triplenet
Oil came back..... All good ....

doing a leak down now .....

:-)
What was the oil check? A Blackstone by chance? Care to share? I have Blackstone reports for my engine over the past 4 years, so I'd be curious about the metal wear numbers..
Old 03-09-2018, 10:12 AM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by saabin
What was the oil check? A Blackstone by chance? Care to share? I have Blackstone reports for my engine over the past 4 years, so I'd be curious about the metal wear numbers..
Yes,,, blackstone ... don't know how to read it - but they say everything is fine ...

Old 03-09-2018, 01:42 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Thanks for sharing. I'm certainly no expert, but based on my learnings of having run these reports for the past 4 years (I post mine on the Blackstone oil report thread) and talking to those more knowledgeable on the subject, I'd say this reports looks good.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by estrellajon
Lol so true. And never has one surfaced of proof that an over rev destroy an Mezger engine. Some of these guys focused too much on fake news.
So we should start coming them " CNN DME Reports "?

lol
Old 03-09-2018, 02:58 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by saabin
^ Thanks for sharing. I'm certainly no expert, but based on my learnings of having run these reports for the past 4 years (I post mine on the Blackstone oil report thread) and talking to those more knowledgeable on the subject, I'd say this reports looks good.
Thanks.... Leak down will be next week and assume that will check out fine as well.....

I appreciate all the comments on the thread - thank you Guys !!!

Quick Reply: DME - Not good news for me