Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Need some opinions on some 997 turbos I'm considering. (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1054897-need-some-opinions-on-some-997-turbos-im-considering.html)

Covfefe 03-03-2018 12:43 PM

Need some opinions on some 997 turbos I'm considering.

I drove a few hours to Cosmo Motorsports yesterday to look at the several 911 turbos they have in stock. They have a pretty good selection of manual 997 turbos to choose from. Before I headed out there, the black cabriolet turbo was my favorite but I ruled it out immediately upon seeing all the extensive road rash and poor touch-ups. They had a couple low mileage manual turbo coupes (GT silver and white) but the low mileage appears to cary quite a premium as these cars are listed in the 80s. They also have a handful with between 51k to 63k miles that are in the high 60s to low 70s. This is closer to what I wanted to spend. They claim their internet prices are "no haggle" like Carmax. Can anyone confirm this or is there any wiggle room?

I intend to drive my tt about 5k a year, so I'm not sure a low mileage cars would be worth the premium. The depreciation seems to be much less severe between 50-65k than say 20k-50k. Beyond 65k though is kind of a big unknown to me as far as resale goes. Just not a lot for sale with that kind of mileage. The three cars on my short list are the following, but having trouble decking which, if any ...

I really like the 2nd silver turbo coupe with the champion motorsport wheels. That car has been lowered, the wheels and stance are just right and it has a PCM iPhone interface. According to the Carfax, the coolant pipes were already replaced. It's a clean car, but the only thing concerning me is the mileage is on the high side. I would certainly get a warranty, but would I take a huge hit if I tried to trade that car in 2 years down the road with 10-12k more miles? I could go with the other stock silver coupe with less miles, but I'd want to lower it, add champion wheels a radio interface etc to basically make it just like the other one with 12k more miles. I don't particular care for the natural leather though as it looks wrinkly.

The white cab is pretty bling bling, but it looks better in person. It's a very clean car and has full carbon interior and white stitching. No radio interface. I've enjoyed convertibles around town quite a bit during the nice months. It's fun for family park outings. On the other hand I would not have the option to track the car. Coupe resale & demand seems to be stronger so that could help with residual value down the road.

I'm really not sure which of these cars to go with, or if I should hold out longer. Don't think I'm going to find a low mileage unicorn with no "stories" in the 60s though. I'm torn between coupe / cab, but know I definitely want manual.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys may have.

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/det...-17334694.html
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...92a8f8688b.jpg

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/det...-17296512.html
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fe6102d9a9.jpg

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/det...-16702726.html
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ce1135accf.jpg

thxbuff2001 03-03-2018 12:50 PM

They are way too high, all of them.

Wait, you will get a lower mile car for almost the same bucks.

Covfefe 03-03-2018 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 (Post 14844091)
They are way too high, all of them.

Wait, you will get a lower mile car for almost the same bucks.

Thank you for your input. I know these cars are starting to inch up in price, but thought they'd be about right if they came down the same percentage as a normal dealer would through negotiations. I was surprised to hear they are no haggle, but still not entirely convinced they won't come down to make a sale. In my experience, everyone negotiates ... except for CarMax as per strict corporate policy.

Everyone at the shop is very friendly and transparent about the cars and their histories... but I was getting the impression I wouldn't find any deals there. They appear to be one of those shops that hunts down desirable hard to find cars from all around the country than they flip them for a markup. Certainly a lot of 997 turbo coupes to choose from..more than listed on the site even. They had a lot of rare stuff including a row full of showroom new low mileage Supra Turbos (selling in the same price range as these 997 turbos, LoL).

thxbuff2001 03-03-2018 01:57 PM

Ive dealt with them Cosmo. They have good samples. But having been monitoring the market for TT since I got my first one, those miles or I mean those prices, you can get a lower mile one. There is a TT listed in carmax Fremont with 30km miles for $68. I think that is spot on.

Rennlister have better cars if you advertise in the wanted section. You will be surprised just by putting an ad how many people may consider selling on a ready buyer.

But I have to agree, those low miles get snatched up pretty quick. So you need to be quick to pull the trigger. Those that have stories or priced too high stay in the market longer.

Covfefe 03-03-2018 02:19 PM

I've been monitoring prices a while too, but hard to tell condition from afar. The black cab at Cosmo looked great in the photos and was priced lower at 63k but it was VERY rough in person. Extensive rash, TouchUp and countless deep scratches. It also had the front clip repainted according to the micrometer, but then they messed it up again.

There is a TT that keeps popping up on Carmax in Freemont with 36k, for 63k but Carfax shows "other damage“. Also, I spoke with another member who drove the car and he said exterior was 5/10. There was extensive rash, scratches and a dent on the roof, but it looks great in Carmax photos and autocheck doesn't reveal the Carfax damage.

Definitely getting tougher to find a clean car at a good price, but im sure they are out there.

thxbuff2001 03-03-2018 02:33 PM

Put a ad $70k for 30 k mile or less turbo. People will pm you. Some sellers will sell to a good Porsche buyer, not just the higher bidder.

Rambler_13 03-03-2018 02:45 PM

Doubtful you will be finding an under 30k mileage manual couple for $70k (assuming no stories, excellent condition). Just ask the others who are currently in line with WTB threads in the Market section. The prices above seem reasonable to me and within market range.

thxbuff2001 03-03-2018 03:14 PM

Thats good for everyone who has one. Mine is just above 24k miles and I got an offer to buy from a dealer for $70. If I can find a car something worth 70 comparable to a 997 TT ill sell it but nothing right now.

But people have other reasons they might sell.

Whats to loose?

Covfefe 03-03-2018 03:23 PM

Unless a private seller is local, the logistics can get a bit complicated, traveling to see, arraning secure payment, private transport, time away from work etc. With carmax, I can at least bring a car to me to checkout on lunch hour and simply forfeit transfer fee if its a dud. They rarely get manual transmissions turbos though. Mostly a bunch of overpriced tips.

Rambler_13 03-03-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 (Post 14844379)
Thats good for everyone who has one. Mine is just above 24k miles and I got an offer to buy from a dealer for $70. If I can find a car something worth 70 comparable to a 997 TT ill sell it but nothing right now.

But people have other reasons they might sell.

Whats to loose?

Yeah, I think $70k would be pretty low for your car. I would pin it closer to $80k. Is there really a better all around car in that price range, new or old (looks, insane performance, dual street/light tracking capabilities, all weather confidence, comfort, reliability, retention of analog factors like hydraulic steering, manual, etc, etc.)? Just a hypothetical question that I often ask myself and cannot find one to my preferences which makes these relative bargains imo.

Covfefe 03-03-2018 03:35 PM

Trade in will always be lower than retail but Cosmo bought that white cab with 51k for $70k trade in. I saw the bill of sale. Dude bought a Ferarri though so they likely made most the money on the other side of that transaction.

John NY-Naples 03-03-2018 04:52 PM

I bought my 997 Turbo cab in white from them. I thought their prices were reasonable, especially since they had the color combination I was looking for, and was willing to pay a premium. I guess they picked up a new batch of turbos, as a week after I bought mine, they texted me to say they had sold all of their turbos.

aventino68 03-04-2018 05:28 AM

Craigslist today

2007 78K White $666500
2007 35K White $71500
2007 63K Black $74900

2008 71K Silver $64800
2008 64K Grey $69996
2008 30K Black $7500

2009 39K Black $86900

They’re all manual coupes, I didn’t see anything newer than 2009. Also found 7 tts coupes that piped my curiosity since they were the last and there seems to be plenty of talk about their collectibility $80-100k. My wife isn’t keen on a convertible, so I skipped those.

I love the stock rims, can’t imagine anything looking better.

Covfefe 03-04-2018 08:42 AM

Prices aside, any thoughts on coupe vs cab? I know the market for tips is nearly non existent and demand for manual coupes is high, but I’m not certain of demand for manual cabs. Which would speculatively fetch more in a couple years, a manual cab or a manual coupe with 12k more miles?

TBarrow 03-04-2018 09:34 AM

The question is what do you want? I have never purchased a vehicle with the intention of profit as a vehicle most of the time is a depreciating asset. I bought a 997.2 Turbo Cab because I wanted it and our weather allows me to use it. I also own a hardtop for our light winters. Which one will keep the permanent grin plastered on your face? Where and when are you driving it?